Chapter 2 - I’m… Ryosuke

The watch you wanted to give me on March 14

Sakura POV

 

The next day, I was working night shift as usual, suddenly I spotted one suspicious guy wandering outside of the store. I went out to take a look, before I could see his face I heard some shoutings,

 

“HE’S THERE! GET HIM!!”

 

I turned towards the direction where the sound came from, and I saw the three guys from yesterday, I turned back to see where the guy was and I saw him running away. Could it be the guy I saved yesterday? I had a bad feeling, those guys seemed really angry.

 

Should I go save him again? Though he’ll probably be ungrateful again, but… I decided I should go help him. I ran towards the direction those guys went, and upon reaching, I saw those three guys were beating up one guy, without hesitating I went up to stop them.

 

“Hey! Stop beating him! That’s enough right?”

 

“HAH? WHO ARE YOU?” One of the shorter guy was trying to intimidate me.

 

“Don’t you feel shame of having three versus one?” I can’t stand huge bullies like this, bullying just because they win in numbers.

 

“AH I recognised you! You’re the woman from yesterday! You lied to us yesterday! Do you want to get a beating too? YOU !” The same short guy was about to punch me in the face when a taller guy stopped him.

 

“CHINEN! DID I ASK YOU TO BEAT HER?” The taller guy was scolding the shorter guy.

 

“It’s ok, I’ll take that poor guy’s punches for him.”

 

I don’t know why I said this, I’ve never engaged myself in any fights before, I regretted soon upon saying this sentence. But, I saw that poor guy face, his eyes was yearning for help, I can’t leave him alone.

 

“Hah! You’re brave huh… I’ll grant your wish then, I’ll leave that guy alone if you take one of my punch.” The taller guy said, seems like he’s the leader of the three.

 

“Ok. Come then.”

 

I stood straight to prepare to take in the punch. I was scared, yet I was feeling excited, I’ve had a boring life, this would be one of the most thrilling incidents I would have in my life. Ironically.

 

“TAKE IT!” The taller guy came at a very fast speed towards me, I shut my eyes to prepare for the punch.

 

I felt a strong wind coming towards my face, three seconds later, I opened my eyes, I saw that guy’s fist right in front of my face. He didn’t punch me?

 

“HAH! You’re interesting!! I forgot to tell you I don’t beat females, but I like your courage. I’ll let that guy off as promised.” The taller guy suddenly seemed like he was in good mood. What a weird guy, I thought.

 

“Thank you. But it was a pity, I wanted to have a taste of how it feels like to be punched.” Yes, this is true, I’ve grown to become so indifferent towards life, that sometimes I don’t know what is pain and what is not.

 

“HAHAHA! I’ve never seen someone who behaves like you, oh by the way, my name is Keito, Okamoto Keito. Remember me, and hope to see you soon!”

 

What? Why did he introduce himself to me out of sudden? And ‘hope to see you soon’? What’s with that. I’m not sure if I want to see him again.

 

“My name is Sakura, Domoto Sakura.” I thought I should at least introduce myself back, as a basic manner.

 

“Sakura, I’ll remember you. Chau!” Keito and the other two guys left.

 

I went to the poor guy who’s still lying on the ground, “are you alright? Where did they punch you?”

 

“You’re seriously such a busybody, did I ask you for help?” That ill-mannered guy is being so untruthful again.

 

“I see, then let me be a busybody for a while more.”

 

I pulled that guy up and dragged him back to the store.

 

“WHERE ARE YOU BRINGING ME?? LET ME GO!!”

 

“I’m bringing you to hell.” Well, I was joking.

 

“WHAT?? LET ME GO!!!”

 

While he was struggling to get out of my hands, I pushed him inside the store, and took out the first aid kit.

 

“What are you doing??”

 

I opened up one onigiri which I was going to clear off the shelves and pushed it into his mouth, “you’re too noisy, eat this.”

 

“%*%*#@&%#*”

 

He wasn’t able to speak properly after I stuffed the onigiri in his mouth, and I started to clean his wounds for him. He got quiet, but still trying to move away.

 

“STOP MOVING.” I said it loud and clear, as if I was trying to teach a dog not to move.

 

He quietly followed and I could finally clean and bandage his wounds.

 

While I was keeping the first aid box, I heard some voices,

 

“Why #U&%#@ helping %$&@”

 

Seems like the guy was speaking, “Please swallow down your food before asking me any questions.”

 

His face turned red, and he repeated his question, “Why… are you…”

 

He couldn’t bring the question to his mouth again, but I know he wanted to ask why I helped him.

 

“I don’t know why I helped you too. I’m not usually this angelic, but somehow this time, I couldn’t control my body. It’s weird too.”

 

“What…..”

 

“It’s alright, you don’t have to take it to heart, you don’t have to repay me or what. I’m just being a busybody so it’s not your fault.”

 

“........”

 

“It’s late and you should go home, else if police pass by, they might thought I kidnapped you here or something.”

 

“............. Ryosuke.”

 

…………….. what…….? Ryo..su..ke?

 

“What did you just said?”

 

“My name… Ryosuke…”

 

“...........................”

 

It can’t be……….

 

“What’s your last name…?”

 

I need to confirm this…

 

“........... Matsumoto.”

 

He’s not… he’s not Yamada Ryosuke...

 

“I see…”

 

I was disappointed yet relieved at the same time. Why? I thought I wanted to see Ryosuke again? Why did I feel relieved that he’s not Yamada Ryosuke?

 

I guess… I have yet prepare myself to face him, because after all I’ve caused so much tragedies to his family.

 

“You’re Sakura, right?”

 

“Yes, although I always feel I don’t suit this name.”

 

“No…….. you…. Suit……..”

 

“Hmm? What do you mean?”

 

“... Nothing!! I’m going home!!”

 

Ryosuke dashed out of the store without answering my question.

 

………….. Back to the loneliness in the store……….. I wonder how long do I have to keep doing this…… Ryosuke… It’s not until what just happened that I have realized I’m afraid to face him. So what have I been doing all these years, all these years of feeling and hoping to meet him again seems meaningless. I am an idiot.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

せつない恋に気づいて - KinKi Kids

 

“会いたい”今でも君に

“I want to meet you” even till now

この同じ青空の下

Under the same blue sky

 

僕はひとりでも 大丈夫と強がった

Even if I’m alone, I’ll tell myself to stay strong

あの日が心にいたい

But my heart was hurting badly that day

 

“好きだよ”今でも君が

“I like you” even till now

青空につぶやいたけど

I was muttering to the blue sky

 

晴れわたった街で 僕のくつだけびしょ濡れ

Even when the weather is clear, my shoes are wet

 

せつない恋に気づいて

So that I can handle this heartbreaking love

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Ryosuke’s POV

 

What’s with me…?

Why did I introduce myself to her?

…. Why do I feel a sense of familiarity around her???

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The next day…

 

Sakura’s POV

 

“Good afternoon, Sakura chan!” Yuto came right after school for his part-time work.

 

“Hello Yuto, have you had lunch?”

 

“Yes! Oh Sakura chan, I heard there was some gang fights around our store yesterday night??”

 

“Ahh, it was just a small fight.”

 

“Did you witness it??”

 

“Eh… You could say so…”

 

And I even stopped it…

 

“This place is getting so dangerous! You should ask Sugimoto-san not to put you for night shifts!” Sugimoto-san is our store manager.

 

“It’s alright, don’t worry!”

 

“But!”

 

“Delivery!” The delivery man came at the right time.

 

“Alright, I’ll go check the stock, you take care of the cashier alright?” I pushed Yuto to the back of the counter.

 

Soon, it was time for Yuto to off work.

 

“Alright, you can go home, Yuto.”

 

“But, it’s not safe for you to stay here alone…”

 

“Don’t worry, there's security camera here, and I can press the alarm button anytime if something happens. Go now.” I pushed Yuto out of the store this time.

 

“Alright, call me if anything happens, ok?”

 

“Okok, you’re so naggy.”

 

It was going to be midnight soon, and I thought it would be a peaceful night, but two suspicious guys came in. Ah, they were the two followers of Keito. I remember one of them is called Chinen… But why are they here…? I am guessing they came without good intentions.

 

They came in and started messing with the shelves, they dragged the stuffs off the shelves onto the floor.

 

“Hey! WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING?” I shouted at them.

 

“! Who asked you to go against Keito yesterday?” Chinen said angrily.

 

“... Did Keito ask you to come seek revenge?” I thought Keito didn't seem like he’ll do such thing. I have quite good intuition.

 

“That’s none of your business!”

 

Their rampage became worst, I ran up to stop them, only to get pushed to the ground. They continued messing around and left after they were happy with it.

 

I sighed, and started picking up the stuffs on the floor back onto the shelves. Suddenly, I saw another pair of hands picking up the stuffs on the floor as well. I looked up, and I got a shock,

 

“...Ryosuke, why are you here?”

 

“I happened to pass by and saw that two guys coming out of the store, I came to see if they did anything to you…”

 

“Hah? Why are you out at this hour? You should…”

 

“be at home right? Else the police might thought you’ve kidnapped me.” Ryosuke cut away my words.

 

“... glad you know it well, then faster go home now.”

 

I stand up and pull Ryouke up, trying to chase him away.

 

“!! Wait!! Your arms! Such huge bruises!!”

 

“Hah?” I look at my arms and saw two red and big bruises, probably I got it when they pushed me to the ground.

 

“They came to disturb you because you saved me…” Ryosuke seems quite remorseful.

 

“It’s nothing, I don’t feel pain at all. You should go home now.”

 

“How can I do so? I’m the reason for all these!” Ryosuke got quite tensed up.

 

“Take it easy, it’s no big deal, they just messed up the items, I can pack them back quite fast, they didn’t really do anything to me too, I just had a fall.”

 

“... Why are you taking it so lightly… why don’t you blame me?”

 

“...... Because this is nothing to me, really…”

 

I’ve been through much more, I witnessed so many of my dearest people passing away or leaving me. What would these small bullies’ act be of any effect to me?

 

“..........then at least let me help you with the packing.” Ryosuke insisted to help.

 

“I said no need, just go home.”

 

“I’m not listening to you.”

 

“WHAT?”

 

“.................”

 

HE IGNORED ME!!! Sigh, I guess he’s quite persistent on this, I shall let him help for a while then...

 

Finally, we finished packing the stuffs back onto the shelves.

 

“Take this.” I passed Ryosuke a heated up bento.

 

“What…?”

 

“This will expire soon, so I’m giving it to you for free.”

 

“What? I’m not hungry... *Grrowwwl*”

 

“Seems like you stomach is saying otherwise.” I chuckled at this guy who is so bad at expressing himself.

 

“Shut...up…”

 

“I see, you don’t want it, then I’ll throw it away.”

 

*Ryosuke snatches the bento back*

 

“don’t waste it!”

 

And he started eating the bento, this guy is too easy to be read, I thought.

 

“Oh ya, why were you wandering outside my store?” I recalled what I wanted to ask Ryosuke.

 

*COUGH* Ryosuke choked on his food,

 

“Are you ok??” I went to pat him on his back, and took a cup of water for him.

 

“Why did you get so worked up? I just asked a simple question.”

 

“.........I………….” This guy is stumbling on his words again.

 

“I know, it’s either you want to thank me, or you came to see me, right?”

 

“............I……..”

 

“Or do you not like to go home?” He gave me the exact same feeling Ryosuke gave, I mean, Yamada Ryosuke.

 

“......................” He went into silence, I guessed I got it correctly.

 

“I see… Then you can stay here if you want, but you have to go back before 12am.” I went back to do my work after saying that.

 

“.......... Why… don’t you ask me why I don’t want to go home?”

 

“Probably because that isn’t a home you want to be in?” I knew how he’s feeling, it’s the same as Ryosuke, Yamada Ryosuke.

 

“...........that home is even colder than the outside weather….” Ryosuke spoke his true feelings, for once.

 

I smiled, and took a cup of warm milk to him, “then try to get warmer here before you get home, and you’ll be fine.”

 

Ryosuke started drinking the cup of warm milk I made for him, the more I look at him, the more I think he’s the Ryosuke I’ve been finding… Could it be him? Maybe his mother re-married and thus he changed his last name? I wanted to ask him… But, I thought I should give myself more time to observe the situation more…

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: Hello! Hope everyone is still enjoying this story well! My English is not very perfect so sometimes I kind of worry if I can express my story well. Currently my progress of this story is quite far already, I’ll update the chapters slowly and I hope the readers would continue reading my fanfic!

 

Update 23 Mar: Added snippets of lyrics which I think is suitable to this chapter. And will do so for all my chapters for this fanfic as well. XD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------