Chapter 1 - The Guy Who Can’t Express Himself

The watch you wanted to give me on March 14

三月十四日 ~ 時計

 

かじかむ手 袖から覗かせながら

Looking under your sleeves, I saw your hands which has grown numb from coldness

あの日くれた 雪も溶けるくらい甘いチョコレート

The chocolate which you gave me that day, was sweet enough to melt the snow

 

窓の外覗くと 蕾がもう芽吹いて

Looking outside the window, the flowers have bloomed

もうそろそろ お返し(プレゼント)见つけに行かなきゃね

It’s time to search for a present for you

 

314に渡したパステルカラーの时计 华奢な腕についてる

The pastel colour watch which I gave you on 14 March, it’s on your wrist

もう気付いてる?时计の裏に隠した君へのメッセージ

Have you realised? The message hidden behind the watch

 

Let's spend the time together forever

 

仆らの爱が この文字のように时间を刻んで

Our love is engraved like these message that represents eternity

ゆっくりと二人の秒针が 寄り添い合いながら爱を刻んでゆく

As the clock of ours ticks, they overlap eventually, building our love

あの日誓った 离さないって 来年のこの日も一绪にいようよ

We promised that day not to leave each other, let’s stay together on this day next year

 

お互い 别の道 歩こうとしたけど

Even if we split into different paths

いつだってまた 君だけを考えちゃうんだよ

I’ll still think of you, no matter what happens

 

季节を巡って大人になるほど ほろ苦い爱になってくのかな

As we go through each season, will this love become bitter as we grow up?

时计の针が进んてく度 君への想いも强くなる

As time pass by, the affection for you only gets stronger

 

変わらないから 仆らいつまでも 同じこの景色をこのまま见ていようよ

There won’t be any changes, we’ll stay like this, looking at the same scenery

日常の当たり前のワンシーン 君といるだけでほら こんなにも辉く

A scene which is very common in our lives, will become more meaningful if you’re around

あの日生まれた 二人だけの爱をいつまでも

The love between us that was created that day, will go on forever

 

不器用に交わした最初にキスが 离れないって 约束だった

The clumsy first kiss that we had, is a promise for us not to leave each other

涙の味でなんだか温かくて 仆らまた何度も寄り添い重ね合った

Yet the tears was so warm, our love comes together as one

 

Let's spend the time together forever

 

仆らの爱が この文字のように时间を刻んで

Our love is engraved like these message that represents eternity

ゆっくりと二人の秒针が 寄り添い合いながら爱を刻んでゆく

As the clock of ours ticks, they overlap eventually, building our love

あの日誓った 离さないって 来年のこの日も一绪にいようよ

We promised that day not to leave each other, let’s stay together on this day next year

 

ずっと

Forever....

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Chapter 1 - The Guy Who Can’t Express Himself

 

Sakura POV

 

“Sakura chan!! I wanna marry you when I grow up!!!” Said a 7-year old boy.

“Sakura chan!!! You promise you would never leave me alright?” The same boy spoke.

*BANG* The little boy was knocked over by an oncoming car and he died on the spot.

 

“AHH!!!” I woke up in sweats, “it’s the same nightmare again…”

 

I said feeling helplessly. I often dream of the same nightmare, and each time I never fail to wake up in fears. This dream haunts me no matter what I do, no matter how long that incident has passed…

 

Incident? Oh yes, let’s talk about that incident, I used to live in Nara, where I had a very close childhood friend, Ryosuke. He was from a wealthy family whom pinned up a lot hopes on him because he’s their only son, but the stress that his parents gave him are too much that he often runs away from home.

 

One day, while he was running in the rain, he banged into me, and that’s how I know him. Ever since then, he often comes looking for me whenever he runs away from home.

 

He was five years younger than me, yet there was never ending topics to talk about between us. We became to rely on each other, probably we were both only child in our family, we understand the loneliness at home because our parents were always busy at work.

 

Things were alright till that fateful day, 14 March 2006. I was almost hit by an oncoming car while crossing the road to Ryosuke’s side, but Ryosuke’s father came running out and pushed me away, and he got hit by the car instead. I ran to his motionless body, his last words for me were, “Sakura, please help me to take care of Ryosuke…”, he then lost his consciousness. He died on the way to the hospital.

 

Ryosuke witnessed the whole accident, the shock he had was so great that he forgot how to cry, he forgot everything, even how to speak. I was hated, by Ryosuke’s mother, for causing all these tragedies. But I don’t blame her, it was indeed my fault, I made her lost her husband, and caused her precious son to become such a state.

 

I heard they moved abroad to treat Ryosuke’s illness, and since then I had no news of Ryosuke. But, I miss him, I miss him so much I always had the same nightmare that Ryosuke died. Although I believe he is still alive, in my heart he did died, the Ryosuke I knew has died… I couldn't fulfill Ryosuke’s father last words for me…

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Yuto, I’m going out to throw the rubbish, when I’m back you can go home.”

 

It’s almost 10 p.m. now, and today I’m working night shift at the store, and Yuto is still underage so he has to leave at 10 p.m.

 

When I went to the rubbish chute area, I heard some noises. I opened the rubbish chute and someone was hiding inside,

 

“AHH!” I got a shock.

 

“SHHH!!! Close the cover!!!” The young man in school uniform requested me to do so.

 

“Huh, why should I?” I wasn’t going to give in so easily, at least he must let me know why I should help him.

 

“JUST CLOSE IT!!! YOU IDIOT WOMAN!!!”

 

“HAH????? WHAT DID YOU JUST SAID???”

 

This young lad is pissing me off. At this point, I heard some running footsteps coming towards my direction, there were another three teenagers looking furiously. I took a closer look and I recognised them, they are the three huge bullies from the Heisei high school. They must be looking for the young lad hiding in the rubbish chute, I thought. Something evil came into my mind.

 

“I see, you’re hiding from those guys right?” I said to the young man hiding in the rubbish chute.

 

“You’re such a busybody!! Just close the cover!!!”

 

“That’s not the way to request for someone to do something.” I hate people who have no respect for others.

 

“Close it!! They’re coming!!!” The young lad sounded really desperate.

 

I sensed that those three guys are coming near me, so I quickly threw my bag of rubbish into the chute and close the lid.

 

“Hi Miss!! Did you see one young guy running past?” One of the teenagers asked me.

 

“Oh… hmm… Do you mean the teenager wearing school uniform?”

 

“Yes!! Did you see him?”

 

“Oh yes I saw…” I was trying to make the guy inside the chute getting tense up.

 

“Where did he go??”

 

“I think… he ran towards that direction.” I decided to help this teenager for once.

 

“Ok thank you!!!” And those three guys went towards the direction I pointed to.

 

After they got far enough, I opened the chute to see the guy inside, I saw him getting dirtied by the rubbish I just threw in.

 

“HAHA! You look pathetic!!”

 

“You stupid woman!! What did you just do to me??”

 

“Hah? Is that a way to treat someone who saved you just moments ago?”

 

“I didn’t ask you to save me right??” Oh I’m getting really pissed, this guy is seriously not grateful at all.

 

“I see, then I shall go tell them that you’re here instead.”

 

“What??”

 

“Since you didn’t appreciate the help from me, I’ll go find them then, and bye.”

 

“WAIT!!!!!!!!” I continued walking despite his shouting.

 

“Okok, what do you want me to do??” The teenager finally gave in.

 

“What do you think I want you to do?”

 

“Eh.. I don’t know… Ah, you want money??”

 

I pushed the teenager on his head, “Young man, money is not the solution to every problem you encounter.”

 

“Then what you want??”

 

“I think your mouth can do a better job than money.”

 

“Hah??” The young man still don’t get it.

 

“Use your mouth to say the three magic words, Please, Sorry, and Thank you, and you would always be respected by others.”

 

“.....................” The teenager went speechless.

 

“I see, you can’t say those words, am I right?”

 

“I………”

 

“Forget it, I’ll take it that I’m doing something kind today.” I was going to go back to the store.

 

“So...rr...y” I heard a really soft voice, and I turned around.

 

“Th..a...n..k.. Y..o..u…” He continued saying the next word.

 

I smiled at him, “You’re welcome. Be careful on your way home.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Moments ago…

 

Ryosuke’s POV

 

“Ahhh how I wish I can move out of that house which feels just like prison.” I am rambling about my mum and the home which I call it prison again.

 

*Knocks into someone and fell down*

 

“Ah, who’s that??” I shouted to the person I banged into.

 

“HAH? You’re the one who knocked into me!” One guy shouted at me.

 

I looked up and saw three guys in front of me.

 

“What? You’re the one who’s at fault!”

 

I blamed back the other party, though deep inside I know I’m the one at fault, I wasn’t looking when I walk. And me, being a spoilt child, was unable to pull down my face and apologize. I know it all, and I was yearning for someone to reprimand me for my behaviour…

 

“HAH? What’s with you? Get him!!” The guy in the middle instructed the other two to beat me. I quickly got up and run away from them.

 

I managed to find a rubbish chute which was big enough to fit me in, I couldn’t care so much so I just hid myself inside. But who knows some lady came to throw rubbish at such a ‘right’ timing. She got a shock seeing me hiding in, but to be honest, who wouldn’t? And my mouth was being evil again, I just rudely asked her to shut the cover, and obviously she got pissed off by me too.

 

When the guys were about to enquire her about my whereabouts, she throw her bag of rubbish on top of me and shut the cover. Seriously that was damn smelly! But who could I blame? It started with my bad attitude. And the guys did come and ask her if she saw me. My heart was pumping real bad, I thought she was going to give me away but she didn’t. She helped me! After me being so rude at her, she helped me? I couldn’t believe it.

 

After that she opened the cover and laughed at my pathetic look. Although I should thank her for saving me but my evil mouth doesn’t want to behave how I want it to. She reprimanded me after I suggested repaying her help with money. It was the first time, someone scolded me so directly. I don’t feel any anger, on the other hand, I was glad, finally someone appeared to scold me for who I am. For the first time in many years, I said “sorry” and “thank you”. She left before I could ask for her name. But I feel like I know her, it’s a weird feeling…

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Sakura’s POV

 

“Hi Yuto! I’m back, you can go home now!”

 

“Did anything happened? You were out for quite long.” Yuto asked me.

 

“Er.. Nothing much, I was helping one teenager who has met some bullies.”

 

“Are you alright? Did you get injured?”

 

“I’m perfectly fine!! Alright, go home now, it’s getting late!”

 

“Alright… I’ll be here the day after tomorrow!” Yuto informed me of his schedule.

 

“Yes, see you!”

 

And I’m left alone in the store again. Sometimes I wonder what do I live for, my parents are not around, I don’t have fantastic job, I don’t have friends, neither do I have a loved one. Oh… Maybe I do have, Ryosuke…? But that’s more like an unrequited kind of love, I know him and love him, but he will never know my feelings for him. The worst of all, I don’t even know if he’s still alive, it’s been ten years since I last saw him, I can’t even guarantee if I can still recognise him if I meet him now. Many times I thought of ending my life, but the promise I had with Ryosuke’s dad has been haunting my mind all these years. I feel like I need to fulfill his last wish, and that’s the only motivation for me to live on.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Writer’s note - This story is inspired by the song 三月十四日~時計, which is sang by Ryosuke and Keito, and the lyrics were written by Ryosuke himself. Loving the song very much! Thus I decided to expand the song into a story, and publishing this very fanfic on 14 March itself. Hope everyone would enjoy this and give me comments for improvements! A big thanks to anyone who reads this fanfic!


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------