Crossed Paths

A Pinch Of Chemistry
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

No matter where I was or what I was doing, I constantly seemed to find myself crossing paths with B.I; I hated it.

It was the weekend and I was sat at home, relaxed on the sofa in our living room. Running man played on the TV and I just enjoyed not having anything to do, it was peaceful. I heard footsteps enter the room and I briefly diverted my attention from the TV to the direction I heard the steps. I saw my mother stood in the doorway of the kitchen and her eyes were on me. With a big smile on her face, it was then that I knew I wouldn’t get to watch anymore TV for a while.

“What do you need me to do?” I questioned, since I knew she wanted a favour. She smiled and motioned for me to follow her back into the kitchen. I got up from the sofa and entered the kitchen, which was when I noticed a couple of dishes filled with food on the counter.

“Jiyoung wanted some kimchi, but didn’t have time to make any for tonight.” My mother informed me and I sighed. “Could you please take these to her house?” She questioned, with a guilt-tripping smile on her face. I sighed in defeat and nodded to my mother. Her smile widened as she placed the dishes into a bag and handed it to me.

“Thank you, SoAh; you’re such a good child.” She told me and I rolled my eyes as I left.

Luckily for me, Mrs. Kim’s house was only a ten minute walk away from ours, so I didn’t have to carry the dishes far. It was sunny, but still quite cold since it was only the end of January, so I wore a coat and some jeans as I walked to her house.

I eventually reached the Kim house and sighed as I approached the front door. I rang the doorbell and patiently waited for someone to answer. The pleasant face of Mrs Kim answered and a wide spread across her youthful looking face.

“SoAh, how nice it is to see you.” She greeted me and I bowed politely to her.

“Hello, Mrs Kim, my Umma sent me over with the kimchi dishes for you.” I smiled and held out the bag in her direction. She kindly took it and glanced back in her house.

“SoAh, why don’t you come in for a hot drink?” She invited me and motioned to enter, but I shook my head with a smile.

“Oh no, that’s okay, Mrs Kim, I should get back home.” I told her but she shook her head back at me.

“Please, call me Jiyoung and a hot beverage will warm you up for the walk back home.” She spoke convincingly and I let out a small breath before I gave her a smile.

“Okay, just a quick drink.” I spoke, defeated and her smile widened and her eyes were the shape of crescent moons. She ushered me into the warmth of her house and closed the front door behind me. She led me into the living room and motioned towards the sofa.

“Please, take a seat and I’ll go make us some hot chocolates.” She smiled kindly and I nodded before I took off my coat and sat on the comfortable sofa.

“It’s a shame that my Hanbin isn’t home, you could’ve said ‘Hi’ to him.” She spoke from the kitchen and I relaxed a little, knowing that I wouldn’t bump into him.

“Yeah, that’s such bad luck” I spoke and had to mask the sarcasm in my voice.

“It’s okay, he should be home soon. You should be able to say ‘hello’ before you leave.” She told me and I sighed quietly to myself; why did I have such bad luck?

“Do you need any help with the drinks, Jiyoung-shi?” I questioned from my seat on the sofa.

“Oh no, you stay there, I’m nearly done.” She told me and moments later she entered the living room with two hot chocolates. She handed one to me and I politely took it from her. Upon touching the cup of hot chocolate, I instantly felt myself warm up. I sipped the drink, but then stopped since it was too hot. Mrs Kim smiled at me as we just sat there; I didn’t know what to talk about since I didn’t know her that well.

“Oh, you know what, I’ve forgotten the marshmallows.” She spoke up suddenly and made her way back into the kitchen. I sighed to myself as I just sat and watched the steamed from my hot chocolate dissipate into the air. I suddenly heard the front door open and I froze for a moment before I glanced towards the entrance of the living room.

The familiar and unpleasant face of B.I entered the room and noticed me sat on the sofa. His eyes met mine and he frowned in confusion.

“What are you doing here?” He questioned, more surprised than rude and I sighed.

“I brought some kimchi for your mother and she invited me in.” I told him and looked away. “Despite my protests” I muttered and suddenly Mrs Kim re-entered the room with a small bag of marshmallows.

“Oh, Hanbin-ah,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter