The Study Exception

A Pinch Of Chemistry
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As per our teacher’s request, B.I and I spent more time in the library. We’d grab food and eat in the library whilst we studied, then we’d still study after school also in the library because I liked being in public; it meant we couldn’t argue to our full potential.

 

During our lunch break one day, B.I and I were sat in the library at a computer. Our chairs were side by side but I was the one doing the work. I typed away at the computer and saved information that was relevant to our research question. I heard a sigh from beside me and glanced in the direction of my unhappy project partner.

“I think it’s time that you did some work.” I told him and stood up from my chair.

“You’re right.” He agreed and I was surprised by how simple that was. Why had I never done it before then? B.I stood up and shuffled behind me to the seat, but as he sat down his hand was on my waist and pulled me onto his lap. “Maybe we should do some work together.” He whispered and my eyes were wide in surprise at his sudden action, but I quickly composed myself. I stood up and sat in the seat beside his with a look on my face which showed that I was not amused by him.

“Here’s a thought; maybe, you should stop flirting with me when you have a girlfriend.” I joked and he chuckled as he started to type.

“Maybe, you should stop worrying about little detail.” He muttered with a smirk and I rolled my eyes at his playboy attitude.

“How about you just do the work?” I told him and we dropped the subject, for what felt like the thousandth time that week.

 

After an after school study session, B.I and I had to walk home, but as we exited the library rain was pouring down from the grey clouds above us. I sighed as I placed my bag over my head and we set out on a miserable journey home.

As we walked, the rain slowed but never stopped. B.I walked on the inside of the pavement, both of us were soaked and I could almost predict that I would have a cold or the flu in the near future. We walked along in silence, but suddenly B.I pulled me into his arms away. I was confused as I heard a car go past, but then I felt a light spray of water hit my uncovered legs and my face. I slowly pulled back from him but his arms were still around me. I looked up at B.I to see that he was literally dripping with water, despite the rain. I stepped away from him and looked towards the road which was when noticed a very large puddle at the edge of the pavement. He’d shielded me from getting splashed? He shivered slightly due to his drenched clothes and I couldn’t help but feel sorry for him for getting more soaked.

“Thanks.” I muttered gratefully and we carried on walking. The rest of the time we walked he sneezed occasionally and I’d just glance at him worriedly.

 

We reached his house and he continued on walking, but I stopped outside his gate. He eventually realised this and looked back at me from a couple of metres away. It had stopped raining just as we approached the street that he lived on.

“Your house is this way.” He told me and I nodded as I looked towards his front door.

“Yes, but yours is here.” I told him and he walked towards me.

“I can walk you home.” He stated and I nodded once more.

“I know, but you’re already getting ill and I don’t want to have to take care of you.” I told him and he chuckled slightly before he sneezed once more. “I can walk home alone; just go change into some dry clothes.” I told him and he stood next to me at his gate.

“We could always change out of our wet clothes together.” He spoke in a hushed tone of voice and leaned closer to me. Even though he was getting sick, he was still the same flirty guy that he always was.

“You wish.” I muttered and started to walk on.

“You do too, I know you do.” He shouted to me and I just rolled my eyes as I continued towards my house.

 

After that rain filled evening, I had the sniffles, but it was never a full blown cold or flu. B.I had been off school for a couple of days, I didn’t know how ill he was because I hadn’t spoken to him and I never really spoke to his friends, so I didn’t feel comfortable starting a conversation just to ask.

 

My friends and I were in the cafeteria at lunch, a couple of days after the rain incident. I was picking at some fruit when my eyes flickered over to the table where Bobby and the rest of B.I’s friends were sat. Bobby was on the phone and he looked over to my direction. Why did I always seem to make eye contact with at least one of them when I looked over there? Bobby continued to talk to the person on the other end of the call as he stood up and made his way in my direction. I turned around in hopes that there was someone else that he knew in this direction, but the tables behind us were empty. I sighed as he approached me and held out his phone for me to take. I frowned between him and the phone which caused him to sigh in response.

“It’s not like I’m handing you drugs.” He stated and I raised an eyebrow at him. “It’s B.I; he wants to talk to you.” He informed me and I reluctantly took the phone from his grasp. I held it up to my ear and sighed.

“Why are you sighing down the phone?” B.I’s voice scolded me and held the phone away for a moment as he ranted.

“Shut up, what do you want?” I spoke bluntly, which caused Bobby and my friends to look at me in surprise.

“Since I’m I’ll, you need to come to my house so that we can study.” B.I told me and I wanted to curse at him.

“I told you, we only study in the library.” I reminded him and he let out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter