New Beginnings

A Pinch Of Chemistry
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1

I had been in California for a few months; we originally came here so that my parents’ company could flourish economically and in size. After so long being away from Korea, the company was finally stable enough for us to go back and I could not have been happier since it meant that I would be reunited with my best friend, Choi Yuri. I was so excited that I decided to phone her to share the good news. I dialled her number and held the phone to my ear as it rang a few times.

“Hey, SoAh” Yuri greeted as she answered and I smiled.

“I’ve got some amazing news; you’ll never guess what it is.” I stated and she took that as a challenge and tried to guess.

“Erm, you’ve got a boyfriend? You got a job?” She guessed but I turned down all of those guesses. She sighed and after years of friendship, I was sure that she was racking her brain for possible answers. “Fine, I give up. What’s the news?” She admitted defeat and an excited giggle escaped my lips.

“I’m coming back to Korea!” I squealed down the phone and she joined in with me.

“Wow, when do you come back to Korea? Are you coming to my school?” She threw a couple of questions at me urgently and I smiled.

“In a couple of days and yes, I’m joining your school for the rest of junior year.” I told her and she cheered happily down the phone to me. Our personalities were so alike and we hardly ever fought over anything, I think that’s why we were such great friends.

“I’m so glad you’re coming back, school will finally be exciting again!” She spoke and I hoped the same. I didn’t want to be an awkward new girl and since I wouldn’t have been there for the months before Christmas, I thought to myself that it would be best to just keep my head down when I did get there.

 

The fated day soon came around and before I knew it I was on a plane back to Korea. I was scheduled to start school a couple of days later and I was still excited. Starting a new school was generally nerve-wracking since everyone talked about you if you stood out on your first day, so I would just make sure not to stand out, but other than that I was sure that the school year was going to be great. Yuri had been informing me about changes in relation to Seoul High students and about general gossip over the past few days. Apparently the popular guys at her school went by the name of iKon, but I didn’t really pay much attention since it didn’t bother me who the popular kids were. She also told me about the school itself and what it was like. I just couldn’t wait to get back into the normality and pattern of attending an actual school instead of being homeschooled.

 

My home in Seoul hadn’t been occupied for a few months so it seemed cold and empty when we arrived, but I was sure that it would feel at home again in no time. My luggage and belongings were already in my room so I immediately started to unpack them and organize my room. A sudden knock grabbed my attention and I turned my gaze to my open bedroom door. A wide grin spread across my face as I ran towards my best friend. I hugged her tightly and she returned it. When we pulled away I noticed a couple of plastic packages in her hand and I raised an eyebrow curiously.

“What are they for?” I questioned and motioned to the mysterious items. She suddenly extended her arms and held up the parcels, motioning for me to take them.

“These are school uniforms that you ordered; I just thought I’d deliver them.” She grinned and I nodded in understanding before proceeding to chuck them onto my bed.

 

Yuri and I sat down on my bed and gossiped like old times. It felt like I had never left.

“I was so excited when you told me you were coming back, I told my friends and they can’t wait to meet you!” She enthused and I smiled in return.

“That’s great; I really didn’t want to start out the year with no friends!” I told her happily and she pouted, feigning sadness. “I know I would have you, but I didn’t want to only know one person.” I clarified and she nodded as a smile returned to her lips. “What are your friends like?” I questioned and she thought for a moment. Would they be similar in personality to Yuri? I didn’t really mind what they were like, just as long as they were nice.

“Well, Jiyeon is funny, she’s a senior, but I met her through sports last year. You two have similar sense of humours so you could get along well, I’ll be sure to introduce yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter