Closer

Midnight ~ ミドナイト ~ (discontinued)

      Momo and Mina had been in Korea for a few days already and it seemed as if they were never going to track down the whereabouts of Son Chaeyoung. It wasn’t until one night when they were at a quiet little restaurant in Seoul that they caught any wind of monstrous happenings in the area where Chaeyoung was last seen.

      Momo stopped chewing to concentrate on what was being said. Her Korean wasn’t that good, but it wasn’t atrocious either. She could just make out that the person talking had heard screams coming from the abandoned school near where she lived. The woman shivered as she spoke and her friends before moving the discussion onto something that Momo had no interest in.

       Momo looked across the table at Mina who was scrolling through a page on her phone, not seeming to have been paying attention to the conversation happening at the table beside them.

       “Search for abandoned schools in the area,” Momo instructed Mina. Mina lifted her gaze from the phone.

       “Why?”

       “Just do it,” Momo replied. With a sigh Mina did as she was told. “Tell me where the closest one is.”

        “Um…,” Mina started, her eyes scanning the screen. “Just a couple streets away it looks like. Why?”

        “We should check it out,” Momo said. She quickly finished her food, excited that they may finally be able to move forward with their mission.

 

 

       Momo stood on the sidewalk,  Mina at her side and moving closer to her the longer they stood there.

       “Let’s not go in there. It’s too scary. What if it’s haunted!” Mina latched onto Momo’s arm, quivering at the thought of running into a ghost. Momo rolled her eyes before proceeding to take a step towards the school gate. “Momo...”

       “Are you really scared of ghosts? You’re a vampire for crying out loud,” Momo pointed out. “Come on. We’ll take a quick look around if there’s nothing there we can--”

       A shriek pierced the air, sending the hairs at the back of Momo’s neck to stand on end. Her gaze slowly traveled from Mina’s wide-eyed stare and towards the school the noise had seemed to come from.

      “What was that?” Mina asked, her voice a whisper.

      “More importantly, where did it come from?”

      “That way,” Mina said, pointing towards the left side of the building. Momo looked to where Mina was pointing, her eyes widening at the faint bluish light that lit up one of the windows. “Looks like a computer screen or something...”

       “Let’s go.”

       “B-but--”

       “But what?” Momo was growing tired of Mina’s reluctance.

       “I have to pee.”

       “I’m sure there are plenty of restrooms inside that you can use,” Momo said as she began to pull Mina towards the gate. Momo gave the gate a push and was surprised when it creaked open. She looked back at Mina who truly looked scared for the first time since Momo had met her. She didn’t think vampires could be scared of anything. She wondered why Mina was scared of ghosts.

        Mina dragged her feet behind Momo, her eyes focused on the ground instead of the school that loomed over them in the darkness.

        “I heard restrooms are strangely likely to be haunted…” Mina said feebly as Momo continued trudging towards the school.

       “That’s in Japan. I’m sure Japanese ghosts are different from Korean ghosts,” Momo sighed.

        “I hope so… Maybe the ghosts in this school wouldn’t bother hurting a vampire,” Mina said.

       “Sure.”

       “Why aren’t you taking this more seriously? Our lives could be at risk! Do you know what kinds of things ghosts can do?”

        “No. But please inform me,” Momo said as she reached for the handle on the school’s front entrance. Before her fingers could touch the handle the door swung open. Mina screamed as a girl stumbled out of the school. Momo let go of Mina and grabbed the girl by the shoulders to help her steady herself.

       The girl had long dark hair and big eyes. “Don’t go in there,” the girl said in stilted Korean. “There’s something going on...”

        Momo looked into the school, but all she could see was darkness.

       Mina was shaking, but she moved to stand beside Momo. The girl who had just stumbled out of the building stood up straight and she was quite a bit taller than the Japanese duo. She was dressed in jeans and a plain t-shirt, she had a bag slung over her shoulder and in her hand was a camcorder.

       “Why are you here?” Mina asked, her curiosity getting the best of her.

      The girl was quiet for a moment, as if gathering her thoughts completely before daring to speak. “I heard that this school was haunted so I decided to give it a look. I’m a ghost hunter,” the girl said. “But there are no ghosts here. Something much worse is happening here. I need to go to the police.”

       “Wait, don’t do that just yet,” Momo said. “We hunt supernatural things, too. Could you tell us what you saw?”

       “I don’t think it was anything supernatural,” the girl said, she extended her arm towards Momo, holding the camcorder towards her. “What I saw… It’s all on here.” The girl looked over her shoulder and back into the school. “But can we go somewhere else first? I don’t want them coming after me.”

       “Did they see you?”

       “I don’t think so… But, I’m scared,” the girl replied, her big-eyed gaze turning back to Momo.

       Momo nodded and led the other two girls back to the sidewalk by the school. Momo focused on the camcorder’s screen as the girl rewound her footage. The girl hit play and Momo watched as the screen showed the inside of the school. There was trash all over the halls and the girl was talking over the footage, her voice a quiet whisper. But Momo could understand none of it as it was in Chinese. Then the girl’s voice stopped abruptly and was replaced by the sound of someone sobbing.

       The footage seemed to have stopped, but the time in the corner continued to move, so Momo guessed the girl had halted and was listening to the sound.

       “Please don’t. I don’t want to be a monster,” someone said, a girl’s voice.

       Momo and Mina exchanged a glance before returning their attention back to the footage. The ghost hunter continued forward, her steps much slower than before and only her soft breathing could be heard. She stopped again and seemed to be fiddling with the cameras setting, turning off the light and turning on the night vision, before she proceeded. She stopped outside an open door and bent down, her body close to the wall as she brought the camera forward but not herself. She moved the camera up until she had a good view of the room.

       Momo could make out the larger frame of a man, he had a syringe in his hand and was walking across the classroom, his face illuminated in the glow from a computer screen. The camera lost focus on him and went to focus on a girl strapped down to a counter. She was struggling, her eyes focused on the needle the man was approaching her with. That’s when a sneeze could be heard and the camera shook.

       The girl took the camera back from Momo. “That’s when I ran out of there. We should take this to the police.”

       “Wait,” Momo said once again. “That’s the girl we came here for.” Momo looked over at Mina. “That was Son Chaeyoung.”

       Without a second thought Momo her heel and ran back towards the school. She didn’t even look over her shoulder to see if Mina was following.