Pawns

Midnight ~ ミドナイト ~ (discontinued)

 

        Momo’s stomach was in knots as she stood at the bar. She had ordered two vodka martinis, one for her and the other for Mina. They had arrived at the location Minhyuk had specified a little earlier than requested. The bartender handed the drinks over to Momo with a wink from her eyeliner lined eye. Momo smiled in response and headed through the nearly empty club. It was the middle of the day and the only patrons of the club were vampires. They hung out in groups, chatting amicably among one another, paying no attention to the two Japanese girls.

        Momo sat the drinks down on the table before sliding into the seat beside Mina. The two were facing the entrance, but Momo doubted Minhyuk would enter from there. She was sure there were other ways of getting into this building.

        “Thanks,” Mina said, taking her drink in hand. In her other hand she was scrolling on her cell phone. She laughed and elbowed Momo in the side. Momo rolled her eyes and looked down at the cell phone screen. It was just a lame meme, but it had Mina in a fit of giggles.

        “Can’t you be serious for once?”

        “Sorry,” Mina said, locking her phone and setting it down on the table. She sipped her drink and glanced around the club.

        “There’s a lot of vampires out – considering its the middle of the day,” Momo said.

        “They must be Minhyuk’s minions.”

        “You’re quite observant,” a voice sounded behind them. The pair looked over their shoulders and watched a man walk around them to take a seat across from them. At his side were two other men, both vampires.

        “You must be Lee Minhyuk,” Mina said with a smile. She reached her hand out towards him. He shook her hand briefly. “I’m Mina and this is Momo.”

        Momo glared straight ahead.

        “I heard two vampire hunters were in town,” Minhyuk said, tilting his head to the side. “I didn’t realize one was a vampire.” He glanced at Momo. “And what are you?” His gaze was curious. “You smell… odd...”

        “She was bitten once,” Mina explained quickly. “But someone saved her just in time.”

        “Weird… she smells like Sana,” Minhyuk said.

        Momo tried to remain expressionless, but she couldn’t help her eyes widenening at his words. What did he mean she smelled like Sana?

        “Well,” Mina started, clearly unable to come up with an explanation.

        “Sana turned you,” Minhyuk said.

        Momo picked up her drink with a shaking hand.

        “She didn’t succeed,” Mina said. “Someone was able to stop it.”

        “I wonder who would do such a thing,” Minhyuk said, his gaze returning to Mina. The girl refused to meet his gaze.

        “You said you wanted to help us stop Sana,” Mina said, her voice wavering slightly. “Why would you help us?”

        Minhyuk leaned back in his seat and crossed his legs. He placed his hands over his knees and looked between the two girls sitting across from him, a wicked smile on his face.

        “Sana is intruding on my territory. She’s turned far too many humans into monsters. I can’t control the increasing population of vampires. We have resorted to killing them. You see, I am very particular with who I choose to turn and I’m sick of these vermin wandering the streets. I would take matters into my own hands, but… I’m not cut out for that line of work. I-”

        “Look, we haven’t got all day,” Momo said, interrupting. “Are you going to help us or not?”

        “So impatient. I know where Sana is hiding. I’ve sent some of my own there to try and capture her, but she sent them back to me – dead.” Minhyuk sighed and sat up straight. “I’ll be sending with you my best men.” He waved his hands towards to the men standing on either side of him. “This is Jihoon and this here is Kyung. They are to accompany you to Sana. I want her dealt with today.”

        Momo shook her head. “We aren’t going with them.”

        “You have no choice if you want me to tell you Sana’s location.”

        Mina looked at Momo, unsure of what to make of this situation. Momo looked at her and shook her head.

        “This doesn’t feel right,” Momo said in Japanese. “Let’s leave.”

        Mina nodded and stood. “Sorry, Minhyuk. We’ll find her on our own.”

        Minhyuk laughed and stood as well.

        “You aren’t going anywhere,” he said.

        “Playtime is over, Minhyuk,” a voice said from behind Momo.

        Momo stiffened. That voice. Mina grabbed Momo’s hand.

        “Sana,” Minhyuk said. “How nice of you to join us.”

        “I have all my pawns in one place. How perfect,” Sana said. She looked over the group with a smile. “Momo, won’t you turn to face me?”

        “Where’s Tzuyu?” Momo asked without turning around.

        “Tzuyu? Turn around Momo.”

        Momo turned around letting go of Mina’s hand.

        Standing at Sana’s side was Tzuyu. She looked far too pale and her eyes were black as night.

        Sana ran a hand through Tzuyu’s hair and smirked in Momo’s direction.

        “She’s my latest pet. Isn’t she beautiful?” Sana asked. She planted a kiss to Tzuyu’s cheek. “It’s a shame you couldn’t save her.”

        Momo felt like she was going to be sick.

        “Today is the beginning of the end of humanity,” Sana said.