A Walk

Midnight ~ ミドナイト ~ (discontinued)

    Jihyo was tapping her foot impatiently outside of the hotel, her lips turned down in a frown.  For such a young woman she had an air of maturity about her.  Nayeon at her side was older yet newer to the hunter life, the stress of the job had yet to truly impact her demeanor.  She stared up at the blue sky, ignoring Jihyo’s prickly presence.


    Momo emerged from the hotel first, Mina ran out after her, giggling and with a noticeable spring in her step.  Her laughter stopped abruptly upon taking a glance at Jihyo’s stern expression.  What had once been impatience had morphed into pure and utter annoyance.


    “Sorry about the hold up,” Momo said.  “We fell asleep on the beach last night.”


    “Right,” Jihyo said with a roll of her eyes.  She let out a sigh and her normally stiff shoulders slumped just the tiniest bit.  She inhaled and her shoulders stiffened up once more.  “Let’s go.  We have a busy day ahead of us.  We’re going to the bar that Lee Eunju worked at; see if we can’t find any clues.  You two will go to her apartment and see what you can find.  Nayeon will send you the address.”


    Jihyo looked over at Nayeon who was still staring absentmindedly at the sky.  Jihyo cleared and when that didn’t catch the girls attentions she elbowed her gently in the side.  Nayeon blinked and turned her gaze on her partner at long last.


    “What?”  She asked her big eyes blinking in confusion.  She smiled brightly at her partner, revealing her adorable bunny-like smile.  


    “Send them the address and let’s get going,” Jihyo ordered before setting off for their car.


    Nayeon watched Jihyo go before digging her phone out of her pocket and texting Momo the address to Eunju’s apartment.


    “Good luck,” Nayeon said before dashing after Jihyo, her long hair flying behind her.


    Momo looked down at her phone and read the address out to Mina.


    “I guess we should get a taxi...” Mina ventured hesitantly.  “Unless you want to walk?”  Mina grabbed hold of Momo’s hand and dragged her along as she started down the sidewalk and towards the main road.


    “We can walk,” Momo said, her gaze still focused on her phone.  “according to the GPS, it isn’t far from here.  The apartment is only a couple of blocks away.  I don’t think we’ll get lost.”


    “Okay, lead the way then!”  Mina squeezed Momo’s hand in excitement,  “Do you think this Eunju girl will lead us to Sana?”  She herself didn’t have a good feeling about this whole situation and the disappearance of Eunju.  She knew something sinister was afoot.  But she really didn’t think it had anything to do with Sana.


    Momo’s brow furrowed as she thought about Mina’s question.  After a moment she shook her head slightly.  She looked up from her phone for a second to take in their surrounding before turning her attention back to the GPS, doing her best to memorize the map displayed on the screen.


    “I don’t think Sana has anything to do with Eunju,” Momo said, confirming Mina’s own thoughts.  “However, Eunju could have been taken by vampires.  Vampires who might know something about Sana’s whereabouts… We’ll just have to wait and see how everything pans out.  Our mission might be to locate Sana, however, it is still our job to hunt vampires who hurt humans.  Humans like Eunju.


    Mina hummed an agreement.  She knew very well what her job was and was glad Momo took it just as seriously as she did.  Some hunters only cared about their current target, not the overall threat of the vampire community.


    “Do you think we’ll find anything at her apartment?” Mina asked after a minute or two of silence.


    “I don’t know, Mina.  Maybe.  Maybe not.”


    Mina pouted.  “If this doesn’t lead to Sana what are we going to do?  It doesn’t seem like the Agents here are at all competent.  They can’t even get their vampires to work with them on anything.  I doubt Jihyo and Nayeon are going to find out anything they don’t already know from the police report they no doubt got their Intel from.”


    “For now, let’s just do our part.  After we check out the apartment let’s go stake out any clubs that look like Sana’s kind of hunting ground.  If we go that we might be able to spot her.”


    “I’m sure she will spot us before we ever catch a glimpse of her.  She’s a sneaky one.”


    “I have an idea...”  Momo seemed hesitant to continue.


    “Well… what is it?” 


    Momo shook her head.  “No.  It’s too dangerous.”


    “What is?  What were you thinking?”


    “You remember that ghost hunter?”


    “The Taiwanese girl?  Uh… Tzuyu was it?” Mina responded, her brows coming together as she tried to put together what it was Momo’s dangerous idea was.


    “Didn’t you get her number?”


    “Yes,” Mina said, pulling out her phone and checking her contacts just to be sure.  “Why?”


    “Ask her if she’s still in Seoul.”


    “But why?”


    “Just do it,” Momo said.  She glanced at her GPS once more and halted in her steps.  She looked to her right and they were standing right in front of their destination.  “We’ve made it.”


    “She responded.  She says she’s on her way to Busan.  I guess she’s on another ghost hunt.”


    “That’s perfect.  Ask her if we can meet up.”


    “Momo, I don’t understand what...” Mina bit her tongue as a thought occured to her.  “You’re not going to use her as bait are you?”


    “I was thinking about it.  But I am going to get her express permission.  She will not be going in blind and I will do anything to protect her,” Momo said, meeting Mina’s worried gaze.


    “You would feed that innocent girl to a monster?  You’ve met Sana, she hurt you and now you can barely go outside without it killing you,” Mina argued.  “You can’t let the same thing happen to that innocent child.”


    “She will be fine.  And if she doesn’t want to help us she is free to go and I will think of something else.  Now,” Momo took a deep breath, “we’re here to do a job.  Let’s go try and find some clues, shall we?”  Momo waved towards the entrance to the apartment building in which Eunju lived.  “After you...”