The Con

Midnight ~ ミドナイト ~ (discontinued)

        Hirai Momo was beginning to get a headache. The night club she was in was dark, flashes of light ading her vision every 1.2 seconds. She blinked in desperation, hoping to keep her eyes in sync to the darkness so she wouldn't have to suffer through the flashes of light. It was futile however. She gave up almost immediately and headed towards the bar, in desperate need of a drink.

        It wasn't a good day. Since she woke up one bad thing after another had been happening. She didn't know that one person could experience so much bad karma in the span of twelve hours. She ordered a drink and sat at the bar to wait for it. She didn't want to join the mass of writhing bodies that littered the dance floor. She wasn't ready for that yet. She was already suspecting that at the rate her day was going the club was going to catch fire and she would leave there a burn victim. She grimaced at the thought.

        Upon waking up that morning she had received a phone call not to bother coming into work because they no longer needed her. She was baffled by the lack of notice they had given her, she had tried to argue but they had hung up. She had gone to the cafe she had been employed by but couldn't muster up the courage to barge into the manager's office and demand a solid reason for her dismissal. So she had decided to immediately begin the search for a new job, but couldn't find a place that was hiring. Instead she went to visit her boyfriend.

        That had been a nightmare as well. Upon her arrival to the cafe they had agreed to meet at she was promptly introduced to his fiance. She couldn't even begin to articulate how angry and embarrassed she had been. After that she had missed the bus home, it had begun to rain and there wasn't a taxi in sight. She had to walk home only to find that her apartment had been evacuated due to a gas leak. So she had ended up here. A night club. A loud, annoying night club. The only bright side to her horrible day was that it was ladies night and her drinks would be free.

        A girl with dark hair and incredibly pale skin took a seat beside her. She ordered a shot of vodka, her words slurring slightly. There were beads of sweat on her forehead, evidence of her foray on the dance floor. She took the shot as soon as it was set in front of her, gulping down the vodka swiftly, her face given away no indication of its potent taste. Instead she smiled and set the glass down on the bar. She looked over at Momo who only just now realized how intensely she must have been staring.

        Momo quickly looked away, but not before noting how beautiful the girl was. From the corner of her eye she could see the girl running a hand through her hair, the long tresses dancing in waves down her back.

        “Bad day?” the girl asked, her voice light and inviting. On a day like this, to Momo's ears it sounded as if an angel was speaking to her. Her eyes lifted from the bar and she turned in her set to meet the girl's twinkling brown gaze.

        “You can tell?”

        “Anybody who looks at you would be able to tell. It's like you have a frown tattooed to your face.” The girl gave a little giggle and placed a hand on Momo's shoulder. She singled to the bartender with her free hand to send two shots their way. “Alcohol is the best medicine though.” She took the shot that was just placed down in one hand, she released her hold on Momo's shoulder and handed her the other shot. “Soon, you'll forget everything that happened today and tomorrow you can start anew.” She threw back the shot and Momo followed soon after. The vodka stung at and she had to fight back the urge to puke. “I'm Sana by the way.”

        “Momo.”

        “Momo... I think you and I are going to be good friends.”

        After a few more shots Sana took Momo's hand and led her to the dance floor. Momo could hardly feel her limbs and she couldn't see for . She could feel the heat of Sana's body sticking close to her though. As the night wore on Momo grew dizzy and trapped. As if sensing her unease, Sana led her out of the club and out into the cool night air. Momo leaned against a light post, her head still reeling.

        Sana stretched her arms out at her sides and closed her eyes as she tilted her head up to the night sky. She sighed and dropped her arms back to her side. “It's so nice out.”

        Momo mumbled an agreement as she pressed her face against the cool light post, the feeling ebbing away at the heat of her cheeks.

        “Where do you live? I'll take you home.”

        “Can't go home. Not for a while.”

        Then you can stay at mine for the night.” Sana linked her arm with Momo's and started heading down the street.

        “It's okay. I can just go to my parents-”

        “I live close by though. We're already almost there. Besides, do you really want your parents to see you like this? Don't you think that they'd ask so many questions? You need to forget about this bad, bad day. When you wake up in the morning you can start fresh.”

        Momo nodded slowly, agreeing with Sana but also feeling like she needed to escape this girl. Something seemed a little off, but in her drunken state she couldn't figure out what it was. Besides if she ran away now she knew she wouldn't get far.

        “Sana, you're not a serial killer or anything are you?” Momo gave an awkward laugh, testing the girl as if she was only joking – but she was serious.

        Sana laughed as well, seeming not to notice how uneasy Momo was. “No. Nothing like that. Why?”

        “You're a stranger. I shouldn't go home with you.”

        “Better me than some man you just met, right?”

        “Well... If you put it that way-”

        “There's nothing to worry about. We're here anyways.”

        Momo looked the building up and down. It was a newer building, in perfectly fine condition, one had to put in a password to even enter the building. There was nothing to worry about right? Right. Momo nodded her head in determination. She could do this. Sana was not going to kill her in the middle of the night. She would go to sleep, wake up and then hopefully she'd be able to go home.

        Momo's attention was drawn away from the building for a moment by the sound of pitiful mewling coming from the alleyway beside the building. Sana turned her head towards the noise, her hair swinging around her shoulders softly. Her face, illuminated by moonlight, looked worried for a moment.

        “Did you hear that?” Sana asked, her eyes meeting Momo's.

        Momo followed Sana as she headed for the alleyway, her arms instinctively reaching out to grab onto the fabric of Sana's dress, as if it were her lifeline. The alley was pitch black, with only a pair of eyes shining in the darkness.

        Sana let out a mocking meow and the cat that lay in the darkness responded. Sana giggled a little and headed towards the pair of eyes. Momo felt sick to her stomach as she followed. She didn't know why she was so scared. Sana started walking faster into the alleyway, dragging along Momo who still hadn't let go of her dress. Sana stopped suddenly and Momo let go, ready to retreat when necessary.

        When Sana turned around there was something different about her. Her eyes seemed darker, but Momo brushed it off for it being almost pitch black in the alley. Unconsciously Momo took a step back and Sana reached for her arm.

        “What's wrong?” Momo flinched at the sound of Sana's voice. Her words were spoken slower now, as if taunting her.

        Momo tried to break free from Sana's grip but it seemed impossible. Sana was much too strong. It felt almost inhuman, as if Sana could easily rip Momo's arm from her body.

        “I'm so hungry,” Sana moaned. “I haven't eaten in years.”

        “Wh-what?” Momo managed to mutter, her eyes wide in fear and unable to blink. Sana pulled her so that their bodies were firmly pressed against one another. Sana then turned in the small alley and pushed Momo's back against the wall. With her free hand Sana brushed Momo's hair away from her neck.

        “It'll only hurt for a second. Like being pricked by a needle.”

        Momo was frantic now, struggling to break free from Sana's iron grip.

        “P-please...” Momo whimpered, her whole body shaking in fear.

        She still had no idea what was going on. Her drunken haze had completely subsided now but she was unable to think clearly. Her mind jumping from one thing to the next – how to escape, what was going to happen to her, should she try calling for help? Before she could decide on any one thing Sana lowered to the flesh of Momo's neck. Momo stopped all movement, even her fearful shaking had halted. She could feel her heart beating, feel the pressure in her head. And then Sana sunk her teeth into Momo's neck, piercing her skin with white, pointed teeth. Momo's knees buckled from the pain and Sana used her other hand to hold her against the wall, leaving her completely pinned.

        Momo could feel her blood exiting her neck, feel its hotness spilling down her skin and under her shirt. All thoughts completely slipped her mind, leaving her in a cloudy haze. She could feel her eyes fluttering shut and then there was darkness as consciousness left her.