Hold Me Down

Midnight ~ ミドナイト ~ (discontinued)

        Momo blinked in the darkness, her head pounding and her vision blurry. She turned her head to the left and her hair fell over her face. She was laying on her side and when she tried to sit up she found she couldn’t. Her body was numb but was beginning to wake up. She could feel something at her wrists and across her chest, restraining her. She kicked her legs only to find them too restrained. She lifted her head as best she could, shaking her head in an attempt to get the hair out of her already unclear vision.

        The room was too dark to make out anything, she could barely make out the dark restraints that held her body down to what she assumed was a table of some sort. She had a sinking feeling that something bad was going to happen to her here in this room.

        She head a shuffling sound to her right and immediately turned her attention towards the noise. She squinted her eyes to better get a look through the darkness, but it was of little use. Momo laid her head back down and closed her eyes, concentrating on the sounds and smells that filled the room. She could hear breathing that was not her own.

        Lingering in the air was the pungent smell of blood. Her nose twitched at the realization. Against her will her heart began to pound in her chest. She needed to escape. That was her main priority. However she knew there was no way she was going to be able to break out of the restraints.

        “Mina...” she called into the darkness, hoping that’s who was with her in the room.

        “Don’t worry. I’m right here,” Mina responded after what felt like forever to Momo. Momo heaved a sigh and let herself relax just a little bit.

        “Where are we?”

        “In the basement… I think.”

        “Where’s Sana?”

        “I don’t have the answer to that. I suspect she’s nearby.”

        “Do you smell that?” Momo asked, referring to the overwhelming scent of blood.

        “You don’t see it?” Mina responded, her voice seemingly hesitant.

        “It’s too dark.”

        “Oh, I forgot you’re not like me. Well, that is for the best then. If you could see it… You’d be sick to your stomach.”

         “What is it?” Momo said, suddenly worried all over again. How could she have let herself calm down? She tried looking around the room again, but it wasn’t any different really. Her eyes had adjusted slightly, but all she could see was that the walls around her were dark. She was able to make out the shape of Mina in the darkness though.

        “Let’s just say that this may or may not be Sana’s dining room.”

        “Dining room?”

        “Yeah. I it doesn’t look like she cleans up after her breakfast… lunch or dinner.”

        Momo didn’t even want to begin to think of the meaning behind Mina’s words. “Do you have a plan?” Momo asked, changing the subject.

        “Well, I guess we could buy her a mop, but I don’t think she’ll use it. There is a lot of blood on the walls. She needs like a hose or some-”

        “Oh my gosh, Mina, I was not asking how to help that clean up her freakin’ dining room! How are we going to get out of these restraints?”

        “Oh...” Mina was silent for a moment, as if deliberating this. “I haven’t exactly figured that one out yet. Trust me, if I had any idea how to escape this, I would have already done so.”

        Momo could only sigh in response. She wondered how long they had been down there. It couldn’t have been that long, she reasoned.

The lights buzzed to life, flickering before finally casting the room in a bright, white light. Momo could see now what Mina had been talking about. The walls, that looked to have been white once, were splattered in a deep red, she couldn’t really make out the floor but she bet that it looked wore than the walls. The ceiling was even painted with the splatter. Momo felt her stomach turn.

                The sound of high heeled shoes coming in contact with a concrete floor echoed around the room. The sound came from behind the two hunters. Momo looked over at Mina who looked bored, as if she really didn’t want to be there. As if she weren’t scared and just rather being doing something else.

        “Good morning, sleeping beauty,” Sana’s familiar voice rang out. Her fingers the side of Momo’s face. The girl flinch away from the touch, bringing a smirk to Sana’s lips. She bent over Momo, locking their eyes. Momo glared back at the woman who had assaulted her on that night. “I thought you’d be happier to see me.” She straightened herself and looked over at Mina. “Is this your girlfriend?” Sana looked back at Momo and waved a hand towards Mina.

        “Why? Jealous?” Mina responded before Momo could even deny such a thing.

        Sana crossed her arms over her chest and crossed the small distance to the table Mina was strapped down to. She tilted her head to the side and looked Mina over from head to toe. Finally Sana met Mina’s gaze, her face a neutral mask that displayed not a single emotion. In a flat tone, she said, “Jealous?  Of what?” Her eyebrows raised in question.

        Mina was unable to control her expression. Her face fell, unable to fully comprehend that Sana was actually dissing her.

        Sana stepped away from Mina and walked to the front of the room. Momo could hear something clinking around but she couldn’t see what Sana was doing.

        “I’ve been very, very busy. You see, our brethren in South Korea have tasked me with finding a way to control vampires. As you may know, if you’re turned by a vampire, their venom stays in you, forever a part of you. Every vampires venom is different and unique. We use this venom to control those we’ve turned. But my boss wants to control vampires that he didn’t turn. He’s greedy like that.” Sana turned around, holding a syringe in her hand. The liquid inside was black and unsettling. “I think I might have found a serum that will please him. But I need to use it on vampires not under my control.” Sana glanced at Momo and smiled. “Thank you, darling, for bringing this vampire to me.” She started for Mina who was now starting to display fear on her face.

        Momo was powerless to stop Sana as she plunged the syringe into Mina’s skin. Mina screamed, a sound so loud and piercing that Momo flinched. She looked away from the two vampires, unable to watch as Mina began to writhe as if in pain.

        Momo felt the restraints come off her one by one until she was free. She felt a wave of breath over her ear and then Sana’s voice, “I’m giving you a chance to get away.  You see, the serum I gave your friend, it doesn’t work.  I can’t control her. All I’ve done is made her angry. The venom inside of her, the venom that turned her is revolting and she will soon lose control of herself. She won’t see you as this pathetic creature she has to protect. She will see you as I see you – as food.”

        Momo scrambled off of the table and looked at Mina. It was the girl she had come to know… but it was not. The look in her eyes was different and when she turned her head to face Momo it was as if she was possessed. Sana approached Mina and removed one restraint.

        “Fancy a game of hide and seek?” Sana asked, slowly walking around the table to remove the next restraint. “You’re about to find out just how monstrous we can be.”