Experiment

Midnight ~ ミドナイト ~ (discontinued)

    The two hunters ran out of the school, surprised to see that the girl with the camera was still there, sitting on the steps as if waiting for them to return. At the sound of them stumbling out of the entrance, the girl stood up and turned to them, her eyes wide with alarm.

    “What’s going on? Why are you running out of there like that?” the girl asked as she looked between the two women who were coming towards her.

    “There’s no time to explain,” Mina said, grabbing the girl by the shoulders and leading her away from the school. “What’s your name anyways?”

    “Chou Tzuyu,” the girl replied with little hesitation. “You?”

    Momo looked over her shoulder to see if they were being followed. There was no sign of the werewolf that had once been Chaeyoung. She listened carefully and stopped in her tracks at the sound of a pained scream.

    Mina stopped too and looked back at Momo, a look of worry in her gaze.

    “Don’t go back in there,” Mina warned, releasing her hold on Tzuyu.

    “That was Chaeyoung,” Momo said softly. Without a second to waste, Momo sprinted back into the school. She backtracked through the dark halls and halted when she was confronted with a hunched over figure. Momo walked forward slowly, making sure to keep her steps light so as not to alarm the girl that was shivering and whimpering on the floor.

    Each whimper that echoed down the hall and towards Momo tore at her heart. Momo wasn’t the type to care about strangers, she never had been. But this poor girl had been turned into a monster and Momo couldn’t help but feel for her. She had been put in a similar situation once upon a time after all.

    “Chaeyoung,” Momo called out softly. The girl rose her head and watched Momo with eyes filled to the brim with fear. Tears were sliding down her cheeks, leaving wet stains on her skin.

    “Help me,” the girl said, her voice cracking as she pleaded.

    The fear that had settled over Momo earlier had dissipated to almost nothing. She approached the girl and helped her to her feet. Momo practically had to drag the teenager along with her, the girl too weak to walk on her own.

    When they emerged into the fresh night air, Mina ran up to them and Tzuyu was back to recording her footage. Momo wanted to tell her to stop, but there wasn’t time for that, she’d deal with that footage once they went to the Hunters headquarters in Seoul. They couldn’t have anyone know who they were or what they did.

 

    Tzuyu was taken into custody by men wearing black suits, they promised that they weren’t going to hurt her as they drug her away. Mina started after them, to make sure they kept their word, but she hesitated and looked back at Momo who was helping Chaeyoung towards the medical wing. She bit her lip, conflicted. She wanted to inform Momo more on what Chaeyoung had become and why it would be better to just put her out of her misery now than draw out the pain she was going to endure for the rest of her life, but she couldn’t let Tzuyu fend for herself in this unfamiliar world.

    So she set off after Tzuyu, leaving Momo alone to deal with Chaeyoung and the doctors.

    Momo helped Chaeyoung onto one of the hospital beds. She looked the girl over, her right arm was covered in bruises and holes, like she had been stung by needles one hundred times. Momo gulped at the sight, her own arm hurting in response. A glance at the girl’s left arm told the same story.

    What were they doing to her? Momo wondered. Mina had said something about the girl being a werewolf, but Momo had never heard anything about them. Just rumors, but they weren’t real. Just scary monsters in works of fiction. Or so she had thought. None of her training had said anything about werewolves being real. She had thought she only had to worry about vampires.

    Momo placed her hand to Chaeyoung’s forehead. It was wet with sweat, but felt like she had placed her hand over a warm stove. Momo withdrew her hand and watched as one of the doctors approached. Momo took a few steps back, so as not to get in anyone’s way. The doctor ignored her presence there, he didn’t seem at all interested in where she had found this young girl, or what had happened to her.

    He and a nurse worked at taking her temperature and taking a few samples of her blood. At last, when they were done and had changed her out of her tattered clothes and into a hospital gown, they turned their attention on Momo.

    Momo wet her lips, feeling uneasy since her Korean wasn’t very good and she wasn’t sure if she could properly tell them what they might want to know.

    But to her surprise they told her that she should leave, it would be a while before Chaeyoung would wake up as they had given her something to make her sleep. Momo could only agree to leave and walked back to the lobby where Mina was sitting with a camera-less Tzuyu by her side.

    “Explain to me what’s wrong with that girl,” Momo demanded, not caring if Tzuyu heard since she doubted the girl would understand Japanese.

    “I believe she’s been turned into a werewolf,” Mina said, her eyes meeting Momo’s. Momo took a seat across from her.

    “And how exactly does one do that?”

    “Well, I’m not entirely sure. When humans are first bitten by a vampire there is a lot going on with their biology. If the right actions are taken, if a vampires victim is found soon enough we can treat them and even cure them before they join the ranks of blood ers. And sometimes, vampires don’t want to create more vampires. Sometimes they want to experiment and try to create monsters they can more easily control. Vampires are still so human in their way of thinking that it’s hard for one vampire to control another. So they try to create something more animal in nature. Something they can treat as a slave or a pet,” Mina said. “So they take a freshly bitten human and they start… I don’t know… injecting them with stuff. We don’t know a whole lot about the process. The vampires, to my knowledge, had never succeeded in creating a true werewolf. They usually die upon the first transformation. And when they do live, they usually go insane soon afterward. At least, that’s what I’ve heard.”

    “Do you think Chaeyoung is different?” Momo asked, worried about the girl.

    “I simply don’t know,” Mina replied with a small shrug of her shoulders. “Only time will tell. Let’s look on the bright side, we found her. We rescued her from further experimentation. And maybe… just maybe, they’ll be able to reverse what was done to her. Until we know more, let’s just watch over her. If nothing else, maybe we can make her part of our rag-tag team of monsters.”

    “I’m not a monster,” Momo said under her breath.

    “Right. Sorry. I just meant that we are different from the other agents… so...”

    “I know what you meant, but still. I’d appreciate it if you watched your words. I’m hardly any different from a regular human being. I just have a slight light sensitivity. I’d like for you to remember that.”

    “Okay,” Mina sighed, feeling bad about what she had said. She didn’t mean to make Momo angry and she wished she could take back what she had said.

    She was surprised however when Momo’s lips broke out into a smile.

    “Don’t look so down, Mina. I know you didn’t mean anything by it.”

    Mina smiled back at her partner, relief washing over her.

---------------------

a/n: I'll edit this later since I'm sure it's a mess.  I just wanted to get an update out before the end of the month~