Red

Midnight ~ ミドナイト ~ (discontinued)

        “What do you mean?” Momo asked, doing her best to suppress the quiver in her voice. For maybe the first time in her life she was absolutely frightened. She was a human trapped in a room filled with vampires. From wall to wall and she could see them all, standing and staring now. Watching Sana.

        Dammit, she thought. Minhyuk was wrapped around Sana’s little finger. Of course he was. She should have never come here. How could she let Mina take them here. She looked at her partner.

        Mina’s lips were parted and panic was set in on her expression. She never was good at hiding her fear. Even if she was a vampire there was no way she could fight off all the other monsters in the room.

        “Today is the day the world ends,” Sana said, enunciating every word so it was crystal clear what she was saying. She pulled a cell phone from the pocket of tight jeans. “It will only take a phone call. Do you think you can stop me, Momo?”

        “What are you going to do?” Momo said.

        “Should I let you live to see the new, beautiful future I’m going to create?” Sana took one step forward and then another, until she was standing right in front of Momo. They stood eye to eye. Sana reached a hand out and placed it on Momo’s cheek. When Momo flinched a smirk took hold of Sana’s mouth. “You’ll never be able to stop me. I’m too powerful.” Sana leaned forward and placed her lips against Momo’s. The kiss was hungry and painful against Momo’s lips, bringing memories back to Momo, memories she had never wanted to think about ever again. That night when she was lured out by Sana.

        Momo remained still, clenching her fists to keep from attacking the vampire. Mina on the other hand grabbed hold of Sana and ripped her away from her partner. Sana lifted her gaze to Mina and raised a brow.

        “Jealous?” Sana laughed at Mina’s expression. “You shouldn’t fall in love with humans.”

        Mina clenched her jaw. It took everything in her not to launch herself at the much more powerful vampire.

        “She’s mine. My venom is still in her,” Sana said, approaching Mina now. She squinted and tilted her head to the side. “I recognize you now. Yes.” Sana let out a brief breath of laughter. “You’re the one who dragged Momo out of that alley.” She spoke low and her gaze darkened. “A compassionate vampire… You disgust me.”

        Momo watched on, her heart beating fast. Mina had rescued her? What? Why had she never said anything?

        “In the end all your efforts mean nothing anyway. You can’t stop me. You lost. Game over,” Sana said, her voice rising. Suddenly she laughed and looked down at her phone. She pressed a button. “Let the show begin!”

 

        Momo and Mina were dragged upstairs and locked in a room with windows over looking the city. Momo watched the people milling around.

        “What does she mean by the end of the world?” Momo asked, her eyes scanning the city. “What could she possibly do?”

        “She’s been experimenting on humans, that’s clear. But why would she mess with her food supply?”

        “I don’t know,” Momo said softly. She shook her head. “I can’t make sense of this.” Momo lowered her gaze a bit her lip. “Mina, did you save me?”

        “What do you mean?” Mina asked.

        “The night I was bitten by Sana… Someone saved me and kept me from turning into a monster. Was that you?”

        “Yes.” Mina bit her lip, nervous at how Momo was going to react.

        “Thank you.”

        “Huh?” Mina’s eyebrows shot up in surprise. That was not what she expected to hear. She would have thought Momo would be mad that she hadn’t just killed her that night.

        “Because of you I got to hunt vampires,” Momo said, looking back at Mina. “I’m very thankful you didn’t let me turn into a monster.”

        “We’re not all monsters, you know?” Mina said, hurt that Momo couldn’t see past the fact that she was a vampire.

        “I know. You’re different. I know that,” Momo said.

        “Momo,” Mina said, her heart skipping a beat. “Since it’s the end of the world, there is something I want to say.”

        “What is it?” Momo asked, turning to look back out of the window.

        “I… I really lik-,” Mina started, her eyes closed as she tried forcing the words out. But she was unable to continue as Momo interrupted her.

        “M-mina! Something is happening!”

        A plume of red smoke began rising into the air from the middle of the city. Momo took a step a back, but her eyes were unwavering as the red smoke began make its way over the city, engulfing everything in its wake.

        Mina approached the window. The red smoke was so thick that when it engulfed the building they were in they could no longer see outside. The door opened behind them, but neither of them were able to look away from the smoke outside.

        “Follow me,” a voice called out from behind them.

        Mina looked over her shoulder. It was one of the vampires that had been at Minhyuk’s side. Kyung.

        “Follow me. I’ll get you out of here. You need to escape,” Kyung said quickly, waving them over. “I know you don’t want to trust me, but I am not on their side. If you don’t leave now they will most certainly kill you.”

        Mina took hold of Momo’s hand and dragged her towards the door.

        “We can’t trust him,” Momo said in a whisper.

        “I know. But what choice do we have?” Momo had no response for that. “What’s happening out there?” Mina asked.

        “Sana has released a toxin made of vampire venom across the city,” Kyung said as he led them to the stairwell.

        “Oh my god. She’s trying to make an army,” Mina said with wide eyes. Her grip tightened on Momo’s hand.

        They followed Kyung down stairs for several minutes before he opened a door that led into the alley. The small space was filled with red fog, it was thick and Momo could barely see through it.

        “This is as far as I can go,” Kyung said. “Good luck out there.” He closed the door, leaving Momo and Mina alone in the alley.

        “Where do we go?” Momo asked. She was scared, Mina could tell. She never thought she’d see Momo like this, visibly shaking.

        “We need to contact the agency. They need to know what’s going -”

        A scream pierced the air, interrupting Mina. The two girls turned towards the sound. A man stumbled into the alley, clutching at his face. He was screaming, clawing at his own face. Before them they watched him turn into a furry monster.

        “Werewolf...” Mina said, her brows furrowing in confusion. “That’s her plan?” The werewolf sniffed the air and looked towards them, snarling. “It’s time to run, Momo.”