Night Watch

Midnight ~ ミドナイト ~ (discontinued)

        Mina could smell it in the air, the scent of freshly spilled blood and with the faintest hint of vampire venom. Her eyes widened at the discovery. It tainted the air to the point she felt suffocated. A mix of emotions and desires rose within her, the conflicting thought to save the helpless human being slowly drained by a wretched vampire and the burning hunger within herself that wanted to claim every drop of blood for her own being. She shook her head to clear the thoughts and emotions within her. She had been through this enough to know where her loyalties lie.

        She had just been to the 7eleven down the road, just minutes from her small apartment. She was not expecting to have to deal with something like this tonight. She had been hoping for a quiet evening, a chance for her to relax. Even if it wasn't her place she couldn't just ignore scent that had infiltrated her senses.

        She followed the scent down the street, the bag from the convenience store swinging softly at her side. She turned a corner and paused just briefly to take a deep inhalation of air. She could tell that the blood was drying, meaning the vampire had already left the scene of their feast. At this point it was probably a lost cause.

        She heard the thump of something hitting the ground. She froze. Was it possible the vampire was still there, still with the body. Mina took a tentative step forward, careful to not make even the slightest of sounds. The vampire was probably so engrossed in their task that they'd be distracted enough not to notice Mina's scent.

        She peered into a dark alleyway. She could see clearly within though it was pitch black. She could make out the looming shape of a slender girl. She was wiping blood from , but was only managing to smear it further. Mina felt a surge of disgust wash over her, sickened by the sight of a clearly satisfied vampire. The other girl was smile, staring down at the ground.

        Mina followed the other vampire's gaze, her eyes soon landing on the body of a blonde girl. It was then that the recently fed vampire jerked her head up and met Mina's gaze. Mina gulped, knowing she was in no condition to take on a vampire who had just eaten. She had been eating nothing but junk food intended for humans for a few weeks now. If she thought back she couldn't remember the last time she had tasted fresh blood. Still, she could tell this vampire standing before her was incredibly young. She couldn't have been turned more than a year ago.

        The vampire hissed at her and retreated further into the darkness of the alleyway. Against her better judgment, Mina dropped her bag of junk food and started after the vampire. As she was stepping over what she thought was a fresh corpse, the blonde being reached out and with the weakest of grips, grabbed onto Mina's ankle. Mina halted immediately, her gaze lingering for just a brief moment on the fleeing vampire. She had planned on catching the vampire, punishing her and then coming back to dispose of the corpse before it could turn into a disgusting creature like herself, however she had to swiftly switch gears. If the human was still alive, there was a chance to stop the vampire venom running through her bloodstream.

        Mina turned to the girl on the ground and picked her up with little difficulty. The only bright side to being a vampire seemed to be superior strength and speed. Better eyesight and sense of smell wasn't usually so bad either – though Mina had both seen and smelled things she rather not have. There were weaknesses of course. Mina couldn't remember the last time she had seen the sun.

        She looked down at the blonde girl in her arms and let out a slow sigh.

        Mina hated what she was. She had tried repeatedly to kill herself back when she had first been turned, but she had never managed to succeed – obviously. She couldn't even manage to hurt herself in the slightest. She had jumped in front of the subway train. She had walked off the edge of the tallest building in Tokyo. She had jumped into the ocean in hopes of drowning – but you can't down in you don't need to breathe.

        Since those times she had acquired the knowledge to do a vampire in and she now used this knowledge to eradicate vampires she found that were more dangerous than herself. She hoped one day the world wouldn't need her and she could quietly disappear into the afterlife. Until that day arrived she was going to help mankind, beings like her former self, be safe from blood demons that plagued the Earth.

        Mina entered her apartment building, quiet as a mouse and careful not to hit the unconscious girls head on anything. Because she hadn't fed in so long, her arms were beginning to lose strength the longer she held the girl in her arms. She let out a sigh as she waited for the elevator to arrive at the ground floor. By the time she arrived to her own apartment she was ready to drop the body on the floor, thankfully she made it to her bed where she laid the girl down gently.

        She the light so she could get a better look at the girl and her wounds. She could smell the decaying flesh where the vampire venom had begun to eat away at the slender neck of the girl. She touched the two little bite marks, a frown etched into her features. She drew away from the girl and hurried around the apartment, gathering the things she would need to draw out the venom and clean the wound. She knew it would be a long night ahead of her, she probably wouldn't be able to complete the process before sunrise. She only hoped the girl would stay unconscious for the amount of time it would take to hopefully keep her from turning or at the very least, dying.

 

 

        Momo felt her entire body was on fire, but it wasn't as painful as flames, more like a tickle, but it was still hot, burning, making her sweat. She wasn't sure what was wrong with her. It fluctuated between being something she could ignore to so intense she wanted to scream and beg for it to stop.

        She was unable to open her eyes, but she could faintly hear the sound of someone bustling around. The last thing she could remember was the sight of the moon in the dark, night sky. What had come before that or after, she couldn't recall.

        All of a sudden, Momo felt at piece. The burning sensation was gone, it felt like she had been engulfed in a cooling bath, water around her, lapping at her skin as if to soothe her. But she didn't feel wet with water, just simply relieved of flames.

        And with this new found peace and comfort, her eyes no longer felt so heavy. She blinked a few times, trying to take in all of her surroundings that she could. A flash of brown hair and pale skin caught her eye, and she flinched, remembering the feeling of teeth sinking into her skin. The white hot pain of something coursing through her veins as the life was drained from her. The girl from the bar.

        “You're awake,” the muffled, sing-song voice of a stranger reached her ears. It wasn't like the girl from the bar, it was so different. Like an angel...

        Momo tried to sit up, but a pair of firm hands reached out to force her back down.

        “You shouldn't move. You're body is too weak. Get some rest. You need to recover.”

        Momo blinked a few more times, her vision was blurry. She could just make out a girl standing above her, but she had a mask on that covered the lower half of her face so that only her eyes were visible.

        “Who are you?” Momo managed to ask, though was dry and her words soft.

        “Go to sleep now. I'll answer your questions in the morning.”

        Momo didn't want to do as she was told. She had questions that needed answers for her to feel comfortable enough to even think of sleeping. But she was beginning to feel the heaviness of sleep take hold of her, and without her consent her eyes shut and her breathing evened.