2014: The year everything happens for both of them

Phone Calls

2014. 

The six of them exited the small cafe at Itaewon: Woobin, Shinhye, Haneul, Minhyuk, Hyungsik, and Soojung. "The night's still young, where do you guys want to go?" Hyungsik turned to face his friends; the face he'd missed for two months. It may seems like a short time, but he had a great time filming with these guys, and he was glad they're still has that kakaotalk group chat and talked everyday. 

"I have that new game I bought from London. Wanna go to my place?" Woobin suggested, taking out a box ciggarette and offfering Minhyuk. Minhyuk refused.

"I don't want to!" Shinhye hugged Soojung's arm. She felt a little bit light headed from the alcohol. "I'm hungry again."

Woobin chuckled. "Soojung?"

The said girl was checking her phone. "It's late. I better go home."

"Ya! It's only.." Hyungsik checked her watch. "1 AM."

"Well I'm still twenty-one years old, oppa. It's late."

"You're basically legal, you know." Shinhye leaned her head to Soojung's shoulder. "Let's go eat again, everyone!"

"It's okay, you guys go. I'll wait for my manager here." Soojung said, didn't want to be a burden for her friends to have a good night. 

"But it's dangerous for you to wait alone.." Woobin said. 

"I'll accompany her." Minhyuk said. 

"Is it okay?"

Minhyuk put his phone inside his jacket's pocket. "Jonghyun hyung promised to pick me up but I guess he'll be late."

And to Soojung, he said. "Let's go to that coffee shop and wait for your manager there, Soojung-ah. Is that okay?"

She nodded.

"Alright!" Shinhye clapped her hands. "It's settled. Let's go, boys! Good bye you two! See you again!" Shinhye hugged Soojung, then Minhyuk, before dragging the three boys to another restaurant. 

 

Latte for her, americano for him. 

It was quiet inside the coffee shop, only two other tables were occupied with some late-nighters, clearly college students. Soojung stirred her coffee before taking a sip, feeling her stomach's getting warmer because of the coffee. 

"How are you?" Minhyuk asked. Playing with the tissue. 

"Huh?"

"How are you?" he repeated. 

"I'm fine." Soojung said, placing her cup back to the table. "How about oppa?"

"Tired." he grinned. "Comeback in a few months."

"Whoa, congrats!" she clapped her hands. "Still, I'm glad oppa spare some time to meet us."

Minhyuk smiled. "Of course I would. I missed you guys."

Silence. 

Soojung hated to remember the days filming Heirs and how close the two of them then. They could talk about everything, without even worry about being awkward and people teasing them about being a couple in th drama. They were two really good friends, and both of them knew that. Nothing was ever awkward about them, and somehow Soojung felt comfortable around Minhyuk, the different kind of comfortable than when she was around her SM oppas. 

But then the filming ended, and so was his daily text messages, and she was worry if Minhyuk would feel bothered if she still sent him those messages, telling him about her day or what happened in her life. Her days became a little bit boring and Soojung felt she lost a friend. 

He was here now. Alive and well, drinking his coffee across the table. 

"I missed you." she said, feeling shy. But it's okay to miss a friend, right?

Minhyuk almost choked on his coffee, because Jung Soojung would never said she missed someone. Not just anyone. Apparently, he was special. And he liked it, that he was special.

Truthfully, for him, she was special too.

"6 months changed you a lot, huh?"

She smacked his shoulder. "Shut up!"

He laughed. "Yeah.. yeah.. I miss you too, Soojung-ah."

"Why did we stop being friends?"

"We'd never stop!"

"Then why aren't we calling each other anymore?" she asked nonchalantly.

"Because we didn't have a scene to rehearse?" he reasoned.

"Ck.. so it's true, I'm just your bussiness colleague aren't I, oppa?" she folded her hands on the table. 

Minhyuk leaned towards her and shuffled her hair. "You know that's not true, Soojung."

"You're really cruel, Mr. Kang Minhyuk. You forgot me because we're not working together anymore."

He leaned back to his chair, eyes staring at her--making her blush a little bit-- "Are you going to whine for the rest of the night, or are we going to catch up with each other's life now?"

 

The next day, she woke up to his text message.

That was a great time, Sooj. We should do it again. 

And another one.

Good morning, Soojungie 

She stared at his text as if it was written in alien language. 

Good morning, she typed, what did you eat for breakfast? 

She threw her phone on the bed and got up to prepare some breakfast for herself. 

Only to be startled because her phone was ringing.

It's him. 

"Hello?" she answered.

"I haven't eaten." he said, not even saying hello. "Going straight to the studio because of my hyung."

"Why don't you just text me?" she laughed, walking to her kitchen. "Why calling?"

"It feels right." he said. "I don't know why, but it feels right, calling you."

She froze from opening her refrigerator. "Well..."

"What are you doing today?" he asked, before she could've said another word. 

"Going to the market and then baking some cupcakes with Luna onnie. Why?"

"Nothing. Just.. have a great day, Soojungie!"

 

Later that day, around 5 PM in the afternoon, a box of cupcakes arrived at the CN Blue studio. 

The message said:

Good luck for your album preparation! Don't forget to send me a copy. K