First Day at School

The Fate Between the Rich and the Poor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

About a million eyes stared at her as she stood at the doorway. Momo felt a tear of sweat drip down her neck and swallowed.

Why am I so nervous? Wake up, Momo! New schools are nothing new! Be confident!

“Ah! You must be the new student! I completely forgot.” The teacher walked over to me shook my hand. “I'm Mr. Park, and you are Hirai Momo?”

I nodded, unable to find the right words to speak.

“Come in.” I followed him to the front of the class.

“Class, this is our new student, Hirai Momo. I hope you guys all treat her as if she was your friend.” He looked at me and whispered. “You can introduce yourself now.”

I slowly looked at the class that sat in front of me.

You can do this!

“Hi. My name is Hirai Momo, and if you're wondering, yes, I am the daughter of Mr. Hirai, but that doesn't mean anything. Just treat me like any other student in the school.”

Cheers erupted the class as well as whistles.

“Thank you, Momo. You can sit in the back corner over there next to Nayeon.” He pointed at a brunette in the back corner.

Is it just me or does she look very familiar?

If the girl did know me, she showed no sign of it. It was almost like talking to a wall.

“Hi. I'm Momo. Nice to meet you.” I placed my hand in front of her waiting for her to shake it back, but she acted as if she didn’t hear me and continued to stare at her notebook. She wouldn’t even show me her face.

I’m guessing she’s the shy type or she’s just really cold.

I decided not to talk to her anymore and leave her alone.

For the rest of the class, I stared at the teacher and desperately took notes of what he was saying, but truthfully, I had no idea what he was blabbering about. In the end, I decided to doodle under my “notes”.

The bell finally rang, signaling that I was free for lunch. I closed my notebook and was about to walk out towards the cafeteria when all of the sudden, I’m surrounded by a wall of bodies.

“Um…” I gave them all a questioning look. I guess that “um” was a signal for them to suddenly start asking me so many questions at once.

“Where did you come from?”

“Why did you move to this school?”

“Is your father really the founder of our school?”

“Why are you moving to this school only now?

“Were you in a public school before or is this your first public school?”

I felt like I was at a conference meeting, suffocating from the amount of attention and questions. I was about to blow up.

“GUYS! Stop hovering over the newbie. You guys look like seven year olds that are seeing a new toy for the first time or something.” A girl with wispy bangs stated. She had pretty, big eyes reminding me of that kids show with Thomas the tank engine.

As soon as she finished speaking, the kids obeyed and gave me some air to finally breathe.

She must be highly respected to get this kind of treatment.

“Sorry, Jihyo. We were just excited. We haven’t had a new student since… that girl.” Another girl said while looking at the girl sitting next to me who appeared to have laid her head in the crook of her shoulders over her desk.

“That girl over there is Na-yeon. Now say it with me, Na-yeon.”

The other girl rolled her eyes but quickly followed her orders and repeated after her.

“Now, you guys should scram off to lunch. I need to privately talk with the new student. It’s my responsibility to get her familiar to the classroom as the-”

“Vice president of the student council. Yeah, we get.” The crowd walked out of the classroom, leaving Jihyo, Nayeon, and me in the classroom.

Jihyo walked over to my desk and shook my hand.

“I'm Jihyo, your vice president and observer.”

“Observer?”

“Yeah. Your father sent me to watch you and introduce you to this school… You didn't know?”

“Yeah. He doesn’t really tell me a lot of things...”

Including the reason why I had to transfer to this school.

“Oh... Well, I'll start off by introducing who is who.” She quickly walked over to her desk again and brought back a yearbook. She flipped to a certain page with “Class A-1” as the heading on the top of the page. She pointed at the first picture which showed a girl with short dark brown hair.

“That is Yoo Jeongyeon. Her parents own a wealthy business. She’s got a nice personality even though she’s a no jam. She also has a no jam dongsaeng named, Son Chaeyoung.” Jihyo pointed at another picture. The girl had longer hair than Jeongyeon, but it was still cut short and the color of coal.

“What’s a no jam?”

“It means they aren’t any fun, but they aren’t really siblings. They’re just both really close because their families work together in the same business.” She places her finger on another picture. “This is Kim Dahyun. Her parents are both wealthy doctors that are famous for never failing a surgery.” The first thing I thought of when I saw her picture was tofu, pure and clean.

They all seem pretty rich...

The next girl looked elegant with her posture and gaze.

“You probably know her, but I’ll introduce you to her anyway. This is Cho Tzuyu. She’s from Taiwan and lives away from her parents. Her mom is known for owning majority of Taiwan’s most popular cafes, and her dad donates his money to the hospital frequently. She’s in the student council as the treasurer and is an all honor student. How she keeps up with all her classes, you may ask? No one knows~”

“Why do you think I know her?” I asked.

“Well her father’s company is known to be rival companies with your father.”

Another rich and smart kid and now a rival.... great.

Jihyo continued to talk about the other classmates (that are also rich by the way), and I didn’t really feel like listening until she said a way too familiar name.

“This is Minatosaki Sana. She’s the president of the student council and is pretty much an overall role model for students here in Twice High School. Her parents have unfortunately-” Whatever Jihyo was saying went through one side of my ears and went out the other.

I whipped my head towards the yearbook and looked at the picture that she was pointing at with wide eyes.

Does she mean that girl from the hospital?! Why is she in this school? Out of all schools, she had to attend the one I just transferred to?

“Is something wrong, Momo?” Jihyo looked at me in concern.

“Did you say that this was… Sana? Minatosaki Sana?”

“Um, yeah. She’s not here today because she was sick but as a close friend of hers I doubt it.” Jihyo said.

“Why?” I asked.

“Cause she’s not the type of student to do that. Once she had a really high fever, but she wouldn’t dare go home and rest because she would miss the finals. So, I just don’t believe that she stayed home because she was “sick”. It has to be something else…” Jihyo replied as she got lost in her own thoughts.

She stayed home because of her trauma… She must really have some bad experiences with boys...

“Anyways, the next student would be me~” Jihyo interrupted my thoughts. “My parents are well known for donating their money to help society and doing community service for the environment.”

“I guess you come from a wealthy family too, since your parents are donating and such.” Jihyo shyly nodded back.

“Truthfully, this whole class is very wealthy, not just me.” Jihyo added.

“I sort of noticed. Some of the students also look pretty young. Aren’t there any students here that are… um… normal? Like someone who’s not so rich?”

“Well, not in this class… How should I explain this…”

“Is it complicated? If it is you can just continue introducing me to the rest of the class. I’m a bit slow at understanding complicated things and it might hurt my head from all the thinking so…” I muttered the last part.

“No, it’s not that. I’ll just explain it. So the class system of this school works like this.” Jihyo got a piece of paper and wrote the letters from A to F and the numbers from 1 to 3. “The classes all start with a letter, ‘A’ meaning the richest and ‘F’ meaning the poorest, and end with a number, ‘1’ meaning the highest and ‘3’ meaning the lowest.”

I only gave her a blank look because truthfully, I had no idea what she was blabbing about. And, I’m guessing she saw my blank look since she sighed in frustration.

“Another way of explaining this is, you know how you’re in class A-1?”

I nodded.

“Well, you’re in class A-1 because your father is a very wealthy CEO that is seen doing a lot of good things for the community like contributing to make a school or going on national television and announcing that he will donate most of the money he earned to an orphan, so you belong in the highest class which is 1 and being wealthy results you in being in class A. So the class doesn't work based on age and how much you've learned. Do you get the system now?” Jihyo asked.

“With all honesty,” I started, looking at Jihyo giving me shining big eyes telling me the please-understand-this-or-I-am-going-to-lose-my-mind look. “I have no idea what you just said. Too many words confuse me.”

“Basically, you are in the first class of grade A because of your wealth and high class.” Jihyo hopele

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter