Chapter 16

Forget Everything

You heard various people entering the room with quick footsteps. The sound of the machines beeping also intensified. To your dismay, Jiyong had removed his hand and was now heading out of the door. You whimpered in fear, wanting for him not to leave. As you realize that you had a tube in your throat, the discomfort in your throat also intensified. You moved your head slightly around, trying to remove the tube but it was secured tightly. You tried to move your arms but you felt restrains over your wrist. 

“Hello I am your doctor, you are in the hospital now. There is a tube in your mouth and that is the breathing tube. It helps you breathe. Also we have restrained your arms to the side of the bed because we don’t want you to pull out the tubes. So don’t struggle against it okay?”

You opened your eyes slightly and saw a senior looking doctor. His face had creased lines and his he had balding over the front part of his head. You took a look at your surroundings and saw other doctors standing around reading something from a file. Nurses was also present in the room, adjusting the tubes and putting a wet towel on your forehead. With that much activity going around, your head began to pound in pain. You shut your eyes as the pain intensified.

“Try not to move your head so much. You had a head injury and if you move it too much now, it will be painful” the nurse said softly. She places a hand reassuringly on my arm and squeeze it a few times softly.

 The doctors had begun to crowd around you and were inspecting your injury. With the assistance of the nurses, they had also turned you towards your right side and placed a pillow behind you for support. The nurse had explained that this position would prevent any formation of bed sores on your back. You drift out of consciousness, feeling very weak and lightheaded from the medications that they had given.

“Do you know your name? If you do, try to write on the board here” as the doctor slips a marker into your hand and place a small whiteboard below the pen. You thought hard but you couldn’t recall. The man from just now, they had called me Y/N’, but in your state of mind, you hadn’t exactly caught the pronunciation. You wrote a small no on the board instead.

“How are you feeling now?”

 Pain. You wrote that on the board.

“Pain? Where head? Leg?” The doctor frowned and took out some charts and began looking over it.

You wrote “everywhere” on the board. It was true. Your entire body was hurting. There was a dull pain in your head and legs. But your neck especially was aching very badly. Frustrated, you tried to shift against the restrain, trying to signal that you didn’t like having the restrains on. Tears escape from your eyes, as you lay there helpless.

“Heyyyy. I will loosen the restrains but I can’t remove it alright? You need your breathing tube. Be good. Once that is out, I promise you I will remove it okay?” The nurse said reassuringly as she loosens the restrains till you were able to place your hands on your abdomen.

“Alright. If you have anything you need, press the call bell over here alright. This will ring the bell on the nurse counter and they will come by to help you. We will see how you are doing tomorrow and decide if we will be removing the breathing tube. In the meantime, try to get some rest. I will see you tomorrow” the doctor said and left the room after patting you on your shoulders softly.

The kind nurse leaned close to you and whispered “I will bring your friends in okay? Don’t move too much. If you need anything, remember to press the bell” and with that she left the room as well.

Friends? Who? Who am I? What happened? Head injury?

The sudden thoughts made my head hurt again as you close your eyes tightly and your eyebrows creased up. Slowly, you drift to unconsciousness again.

Outside, the doctor had explained the situation to Jiyong and Seunghyun. Jiyong couldn’t believe his ears. He was devastated that you couldn’t remember anything. But the doctor had said that there might be a chance you would remember, after your body has recover from the injuries a little. Jiyong sat down on the bench outside the room. He cupped his head in his hands as tears began to flow. By that time, the rest of them, including Appa Yang had made their way down. Seunghyun had phoned them immediately after you had started waking up. Youngbae immediately held onto Jiyong, patting his back reassuringly and trying to get him to calm down.

“She will be fine. She is a strong lady. She will be fine. At least she is awake now”

The thought that you didn’t remember Jiyong, broke his heart. He really did loved you a lot and he knew you felt the same way too. But now, that part don’t exist anymore. Still he was determined that he will continue to take care of you forever. Even if you didn’t remember him.

You felt someone changed the wet towel and then someone your cheeks gently. The familiar voices came again as their chatter fills the room. It was the voices you had heard when you were unable to wake up. Still you wonder if they are your family, but if that is so then where is your mother? Who am I?

You shifted slightly and slowly opened your eyes. You saw a handsome but very tired looking man staring at you, face full of worries. As you opened your eyes, you saw how his worried face had slowly turned into a small smile while he continued to your cheek gently.

“Y/N” do you know who I am?“ He asked softly. His eyes grew timid suddenly.

 You could feel that he was important to you, from the way his eyes were looking at you. He put the maker into your hand and place the whiteboard underneath it. Tears form in your eyes as you felt the frustration of not knowing who he is. You shook your head slightly and pointed to the word pain that you had written earlier. Jiyong eyes immediately widen as he took the board and pen away. He sat beside you, leaning his head very close and started your cheeks again.

“Okay baby, don’t worry, don’t cry. Just rest. Painful? Where is painful? I will tell the nurse”, as he finishes his sentence, he removes his hands and stood up but was stopped by you holding on to it. It was a warm hand and you felt secure from having that hand hold on to you. You signalled that you wanted to write and he brought you the materials and set them up again.

“Don’t go” you wrote on the board.

His tensed face relaxes a little as he sat back down beside your bed. “Don’t worry. I won’t go anywhere. I love you. Now close your eyes and get some sleep”

Your eyes weakly looked around the bed and you could see the rest of them standing around you. Everyone of them was really handsome and you felt familiarity in the voices when they spoke. You had heard them when you were still unconscious. There was a middle age man wearing a hat also standing in the room. Perhaps that was the Appa Yang that spoke to you a few time. You lifted up your hands, signalling for him to hold it and he immediately came forward to grab it.

“Yes, hey. Y/N’, Appa Yang here. Don’t worry, you are safe now”

You close your eyes in confusion. From the way he said he, he probably wasn’t your real family. And safe? Why safe? Did an accident happened or?

Your head pounded once again. The nurse had come in and given you another pain medication through your IV line on your hand. As you feel the medication effects, you slowly drift into darkness, falling asleep as you let go of their hands. 

You woke up slowly from the sound of people talking. They seemed to be in a serious conversation and you saw the same group of doctors gathered in front of you. You also saw the handsome man lying asleep on the sofa beside your bed. The doctor seems to notice that you had awaken and proceeded to walk towards you.

“Good morning Y/N’, how are you feeling today?” as he slips the pen and whiteboard into my hand. You didn’t respond, you didn’t know how to feel. “Any pain?” he prompted and you replied by shifting your head to the sides slowly. “Okay good. Today, we will try to let you breathe on your own, without the machine’s help. If you are able to do that, tomorrow we will remove the breathing tube. Okay?” You nodded slightly. You wanted the tube to be out as soon as possible. There are so many questions that you wanted answers for. You wrote “my name?” on the board and showed it to the doctor.

“Your name is Y/N’, you had an accident. That guy, he is Jiyong. He is your boyfriend.”

You close your eyes as you repeat your name over and over again in your head. You wanted to remember it. You needed to.

Jiyong held your arm reassuringly after he had woken up. He laid his head down on your bed and fell asleep again. You shifted your hand and touched his head. You felt the softness of his hair. You realise how familiar it was.

The next moment you woken up, you saw another very handsome looking man sitting on the chair that Jiyong was sitting in. He too was fast asleep. You felt sad for a moment, that they all looked so tired. You tried to move your hand but felt a weight on it. As you move, he stirred awake.

"Y/N’?” You realise that the weight on your hand was actually because he was holding on to your hand. “Hey. Are you awake?” He looked at you and smiled reassuringly. “How are you feeling? Pain?”

You shook your head slightly. “Okay that is good as he your cheeks gently.” You maintain eye contact and observe his face slightly you tried to recall who this familiar face was but you couldn’t recall. As though he had read your mind he said softly “I am Seunghyun. I am In a band with Jiyong. We are like brother and sisters” he said softly. You nodded, seeing the sadness in his eyes, you responded by squeezing his hand tightly. He felt it and squeeze it back. “You will always be my sister” and with a small peck on your cheek, he sat back down and look at you gently. You shifted slightly, trying to adjust the position of your neck as it was aching. Seeing that, he stood up immediately and shifted the pillow downwards slightly. “Better?” You nodded slightly, before feeling your heavy eyes progressively getting smaller and then you fell asleep.

You weren’t sure how long has pass but the next time you woke up, Jiyong was back again. He smiled gently after seeing that you have woken up. “Y/N’ the doctor says that they can take out your breathing tube today. He was waiting for you to wake up” he said excitedly. You nodded slightly and reached out a hand for him to hold. You loved how warm his hands felt and strangely it made you feel very safe. Despite the fact that you still couldn’t remember who he was. 

“Ready to remove the tube?” The doctor asked. You nodded your head and showed a thumbs up with your hand.