Sunshine

Kim Jong Kook and Song Ji Hyo

Like a ray of golden sunshine, he entered her life. Seong-Im never believed in love at first sight, no that didn't happen. But he caught her eyes, when he walked across the field in the early morning on the first day of university. She had to admit she stared at him, only to avert her eyes when he disappeared from her view. The morning sun warmed her skin but she wondered would he had warmed her heart.

 
That was 1 month ago, and now she was sitting in the cafe with her best friend, Jessica. Jessica was distressed, she said she had fallen in love with a guy, love at first sight, she had said, he was her true love but yet, that someone didn't know she was alive. She had wept at her misfortune and now reduced to complain about her plague to Seong-Im. 
 
"You couldn't have love him, you didn't even know him." Seong_Im pointed out the obvious. 
 
"I really did, he was so handsome, so cool." Jessica proclaimed. Seong_Im's heart missed a beat, could Jessica fall in love with her sunshine? She hoped not, that would be, that would be too distressing. "Oh my!!!!!! There he was!!' Jessica excited pointed to her true love. Seong_Im's eye followed her finger and saw 2 men walked in the cafe. Her sunshine and another guy.
 
"Which one?" She hoped her voice didn't trembled.
 
"The one wearing cap and cool glasses." Jessica's voice filled with excitement except the description didn't help, both men wore the same. 
 
Seong-Im decided to make it clearer, "the slipper guy or the sport shoe guy" 
 
"Of course, the slipper guy, he had prefect dress sense," Jessica's purred. Seong-Im's heart finally stopped racing, it make her wanted to stopped and pant. Both men walked their way after picking their orders from the counter. The cafe was almost full, they took the seat on the girls' left. Jessica clumsy knocked off her empty cup in her excitement. The cup toppled, but luckily didn't spill, however, it succeeded to make the men looked their way. Both of them nodded their head and smiled an apology. Sunshine smiled back and the cool man smiled foolishly. 
 
"We are in luck to sit beside such lovely ladies." The cool man exclaimed. "Hi, I am Gary and this is my best pal, Jong Kook." Gary introduced himself and Jong Kook, Jong Kook gave both of them a nod and a shy smile.
 
"Hi Gary, I am Jessica," Jessica started to flirt with Gary. "This is my best friend, Seong-Im." Seong-Im gave a nod and a smile too.
 
"I see you had empty your drink. How about I treat both of you to another round?" Gary asked. Jessica quickly said yes and ordered two Americano. Jong Kook helped the girls cleared their empty cups. The girls politely thank both of them for their generosity and kindness. Gary and Jessica quickly a conversation while Seong-Im and Jong Kook listened quietly beside the couples. They ended their first meeting with Gary and Jessica exchanging number.
 
Jessica was very excited when Gary sent his first message to her that very night. Two days later, Jessica called Seong-Im , she sounded extremely happy, "He asked me out on a date!! But he asking his pal along so will you please please come along too?" Seong-I'm hesitated, she wanted to go but she just couldn't bring herself to talk to him. "I will make sure we have fun." Jessica promised Seong-Im.
 
"Like real," Seong-Im thought, "you will forget me once you see him." But she agreed nevertheless. She did want to see him again.
 
Seong-Im  wondered what to wear, as far as she knew, they were going to catch a movie and then dinner. She would prefer some outdoor activities but she knew Jessica liked such arrangement. So she choose a t-shirt and jeans, she couldn't out wear the lead actress, even though she wanted to impress Jong Kook.
 
She met with Jessica first before meeting the two gentlemen. Jessica immediately forgot her and Jong Kook and chatted with Gary, Gary too had left the two of them to their own devices. She was left with Jong Kook, she didn't know what to say and that caused some uncomfortableness, then she looked up and met with his smile, the warm flow his happiness gave was like a ray of sunshine that strike her heart. Dazzled by the brightness, she couldn't help but returned his warm smile, she only could hope it had the same effect as his.
 
"Hi, we didn't manage to chat much the last time. I hoped today I can do better, I am usually quite lost to people I first met. But I think I can do better." He tried to explain his shyness and clumsiness when it came to people he felt unfamiliar.
 
"Me too." She had to agree with him, she should try harder too. She held out her hand, "Hi, I am Cheon Seong-Im."
 
He took her cue, and shook her hand, "Hello, I am Kim Jong Kook. I am good at sports, especially soccer."
 
"I am good at sports too, but I like cycle and wake boarding." They started with sharing the things they liked, actually, they found that they had quite a number of similarities. By the time, the movie started, both of them didn't felt uncomfortable. One thing she found that they were different was the fact that she loved to eat more than he did, she practically finished the popcorn all by herself. 
 
She found the movie quite boring for her, it was showing some tragic love stories, and her eyes couldn't keep opened and she dozed off. She only managed to woke up when the ending credits came out and she found herself on Jong Kook's shoulder and his head was resting against hers. He seemed to have fallen asleep too. She  gently moved away and her action woke him up, both of them looked sheepish at each other, and stifled a yawn. Jessica and Gary, on the other hand, were animatedly talking about the movie. 
 
He whispered, "We better pretended they were right, or else we would get a earful from Gary." She nodded in agreement. Both of them listened quietly to the discussion, offering their views when asked. The discussion continued till the dinner place, Jong Kook and Ji Seong-Im followed behind trying to follow the conversation. It was Italian, Seong-Im was indecisive over pizza or pasta, Jong Kook saw her troubled face and asked "Any problem?"
 
"I couldn't decide between the chicken mushroom pizza or the seafood pasta, both looked so good. And the soup, I wanted to tried their chicken soup but the clam chowder seems nice too, and looked at their house salad, it looks yummy. There are so many things I wanted to try but I can't finish all of them." She just wanted to try so many of the food here, it was highly recommended by Jessica. Jessica and Gary on the other hand were trying to impress each other and so they ordered non messy food.
 
"How about we ordered the food you wanted, actually I was having troubled deciding too, so we could share, are you ok?" Jong Kook asked.
 
"That is a great idea! I love it. Let us share." She quickly raised her hand, and the waiter came and took their order. Their and Jessica's salad arrived. They requested for side plates and Seong-Im eat a mouth of the salad. It was delicious. 
 
"This salad tasted so nice... You got to try it" Jong Kook ate a mouth and agreed with her, both of them quickly finished off the salad. The soups came, Jong Kook asked her to drink first, "Let's drink together, I don't mind. You can start with clam chowder then we exchange?" She suggested, it was pity to let him drink cold soup.  Both attacked the food and they found they could still order desserts, and so Seong-Im ordered a chocolate mousse cake. 
 
Jessica's brow slightly raised when Seong-Im ordered the cake, but she continued talking to Gary. Jong Kook took a mouth at the bitter-sweet cake, "This cake is too rich," he commented.
 
Seeing-Im ate a piece, "No, this is just right. I love the velvety texture. Why don't you eat the fruits then, I think I will be full after eating the cake." They took a walk along the streets after the meal, then the gentlemen sent the ladies home. That was their first double date,  Jessica and Gary still dragged Jong Kook and Seong-Im along their second and third dates but after that, they just dated on their own. Seong-Im didn't foresee that coming and she hadn't explain phone number with Jong Kook. Bumper, she thought, how do she asked Jessica for his number. Seeing-Im didn't even manage to see him in uni. 
 
Finally, after two weeks, she received a message from an unknown number. "Hi there, this is  Jong Kook, you know, Jessica's boyfriend, Gary's best friend, Kim Jong Kook. I thought we didn't manage to meet up, so just wanted to say Hi." She giggled, she didn't know that many Kim Jong Kook. She gave it a thought, then she answered "This is Gary's girl friend's Jessica's best friend, Seong-Im. It had been a long time. We are been ditched right?" She and their best friends.
 
"Yap, like waste paper in trashcan. I am thinking of learning wake boarding, can you teach me?"  He asked.
 
"No problem, how about this weekend, I too wanted to go wake boarding. It had been a long time since I done it too." She answered, feeling happy that he contacted her and hopefully that was his excuse to continue meeting her.
 
the weekend came, and they met. They wore wet suites and so she couldn't really see his figure but she could see he had strong muscles on his arms and legs. As the day progress, he really was good at sports, after a few tries, he picked up wake boarding. At the end of the session, he could almost do it as well as she did.
 
"You are really a fast learner," she said.
 
"I am good at sports usually." He smiled shyly. "I am hungry, want to go catch something?"
 
"Yeah, me too. Let's quickly bath." He was playing with his phone and waiting for her when she was done.  
 
"There was this nice little cafe that serve great home cooked food. My favorite haunt after wake boarding. We eat there?" She suggested, she did miss the food over there. He agreed and they went for their lunch in the cafe. Over lunch, they got to know each other better. They agreed to meet again the following weekend for wake boarding session. 
 
During the weekdays, he would sometime drop a random message or photo, and they would start their chat and during weekends, they would meet for wake boarding or some form of sports. He even once asked her to attend his soccer match, she must say he played quite well. After the match, he introduced her to his teammates, and the whole bunch of them went out for a celebratory dinner. That became something regular for them. 
 
Half a year past, Seong-Im wondered what was their relationship, she knew they were somewhere more than friends but yet didn't reach the stage of lovers. He didn't ask and she didn't persuade. They just left their relationship as it was and she was getting vexed, she wanted it to be more. Gosh how to move it ahead, comparatively, Jessica and Gary was a pair of lovers in deep love.
 
She sighed, on top of that, she had a suitor that was hot on her heels, she tried to explain she was not interested but he had been persistent. She didn't want to discuss the issue with him, she was afraid he might ask her to agree to be courted by her suitor. But the suitor had left her no choice, she needed to seek help from him to chase away the suitor.
 
"I have a problem," she began her message, "There is this persistent person who refused to understand I don't like him. Can you help me chase him away?"
 
His reply was immediate, "Ok, how?"
 
"I don't know, I am thinking if I have a boyfriend, maybe he will ease off." She suggested.
 
"I think he would, let's do that. How about I pick you up from class tomorrow?" He asked.
 
"Ok, my class ended at 2.30pm" 
 
"Ok, I see you then."
 
The next day, he appeared in front of her classroom, casual standing there with his backpack. His muscles in his arms were showing, and she heard her classmates, oohing at the muscle man, she felt jealous and quickly ran to him and hugged his arms. She saw the envy eyes of her classmates, and she felt proud. If he was shocked at her gestured, he didn't show it, he looked at her lovingly, and took over her bag pack. His hands grabbed hers and their finger intertwined. "I know a nice place for tea break." Jong Kook suggested.
 
"Let's go, I am hungry." She agreed really... Her lunch was spoilt by the persistent man. She saw him hiding behind the wall. She whispered to Jong Kook, "He is here, I think he is watching us."
 
"Then we act naturally." He whispered back. "Anyway, we  looked good together plus the fact, I can protect you." She giggled, he sounded funny. They walked to the entry with holding hands, behaving very intimate. Seong-Im couldn't deny she loved to be this close him, she could smell his perfume in very breath she took, his warmth radiated from him and keeping her warm. Her smooth skin touching his, the only thing missing is to kiss his lips, but that would be asking too much. They had to sit separately, and she missed him on her arms, but now she got to stared into his eyes, and looking at his handsome face. She didn't quite hear what he said and just agreeing to whatever he was suggesting. The food came, and now she was busy accepting food that was sent to , then she too started to feed him, to strangers, they were a pair of lovers. After the break, he walked her back home, on the way, they walked past a small park.
 
"That go for a walk over there?" He suggested. She agreed, this tiny park was part of childhood memories where she spent time here playing with her friends.
 
"I don't like that suitor of yours." She looked at him with a eye rose. "Really, the moment I heard about him, I don't like him. When I saw him, I dislike him even more. I thought he was too unman, too selfish. He is just not someone that could be a boyfriend, he didn't even care about how you think." She wondered where was he going from here.
 
Jong Kook gently tilted her head, then planted a kiss on her lips. "But I thought too much, I care too much about what you think, I don't want to try to be your boyfriend when you don't want me too, I want to remain by your side. But yet I knew, I couldn't watch you have someone else other me as your boyfriend, I am equally selfish, I want to be your boyfriend." He paused, looking straight into her eyes. She felt her heart and breath went still when he was talking, each word gave her a reason to believe her wish was Camino true. When she heard he wanted to be her boyfriend, she felt fireworks exploded in her heart, and her heart started beating faster and faster. He had made his declaration, it time for hers.
 
"You meant it, you want to be my boyfriend?" She asked.
 
"No..I need to, it's more that I want. I need to be by your side to even breath." He said.
 
"I need to be your girlfriend, you are that ray of Sunshine that I needed every day. With you, the world was beautiful, I felt happy and satisfied." She looked at him expectedly. He bent down and kiss again, this time more passionate. 
 
"I love you, Seong-Im, please be my girlfriend?" He asked.
 
"I love you, Jong Kook." They kissed again, under the warmth evening sun, they knew both of their lives are perfect now.