I Got a Job

Beyond the Sea
Please log in to read the full chapter

It’s been a week or so since they first came to the human world and the four sea creatures were already blending in well with the human. They have moved out from the hotel to their new apartment where they could soak in the Jacuzzi, or the inflatable pool each of them has in their room anytime. They had also gained skills in modern technology, and traits and behaviour of the human. Mino and Seunghoon are addicted to dramas from the television and were hanging in their living room all day long just to watch it. Jinna is addicted with makeups and, along with Mino, she’s also addicted to visual art and keeps doodling anything everywhere. Seunghoon is in love with human’s music and tries to perform it, especially in rapping. Jinwoo is into fashion and films and had watched every film in theatres within a week.

They seemed to forget their main purpose for going up on the land, to rescue Mino’s sister. Even Mino himself forgot about that and had got carried away with what the human world has to offer. Truth be told, Jinwoo is the one who still remembered their mission. But Jinwoo didn’t want to remind them about it and let them enjoy the human world for a little more. He silently monitored the news and updates about Sandara from the late night news or the internet. One day Jinna accidentally walked on him watching videos of Sandara swimming in the gigantic tank, happily waving at the kids below her. She looked much better than the last time she saw her on the news on their first day.

“I’m glad to know she’s okay. She looks happy by the way.” Jinna sat next to her brother with a cup of hot milk in her hands. “She’s the reason we came up here. Now we’re busy blending in with humans. I feel bad about that.”

“It’s the part of the plan.” Jinwoo sighed. “You said yourself you want to explore the human world.”

“Not when her life is at risk.” Jinna sipped on her milk and put it down on the desk next to Jinwoo’s laptop.  “That’s my hidden agenda before. But after I saw her on the television, I Just…”

“She’s fine, my cute little Jinna baby.” Jinwoo pinched on both of Jinna’s cheeks. “Look, they’re taking care of her.” Jinwoo said as if he’s talking to a baby. He acted cute to make his sister laugh or at least put a smile back on her face.

“I get it, Oppa. Just stop that before I pour my milk on you.” Jinwoo’s cute act irked her to the core. But it did its job to make her smile. “So what’s your plan?”

“I’m gonna get a job near the aquarium; or maybe there. It’s gonna be easier to snatch her if I can infiltrate the zone.”

“Wow I didn’t know that you’re this smart.” Jinna looked up to the boy in awe. And sarcasm. “I thought you’re just a guy who likes to act cute to bother me.”

“You know I’m better than your preposterous prejudice.” He groaned. “Tomorrow I’m gonna take the subway and go to the aquarium to look for a job nearby. You stay at home and watch those two boys, okay?”

“You’re gonna take the subway alone? You must be kidding me. You can’t even figure out how to get out from the bus station and now you want to explore Seoul with the subway alone.” She blew the strands of her orange-brown hair that fell on her face. “You’re better than me in anything except in the sense of directions. Admit that.”

“Ouch sis, since when do you bite?” He chuckled. “So what do you propose? Tagging along?”

“Well yeah, you’re too innocent—direction wise— to wander in the city alone.” Jinna offered her mug to the boy. “Our friends are gonna be okay. Just turn the telly on and they’re good.”

“You sure you wanna do this?” Jinwoo swirled the top of his body as his hand reaching for something.

“Of course I am!” She shrieked. “Now tell me what’s on your sleeves.”

Jinwoo’s tender expression drastically shifted into his mischievous self. The only expression he makes whenever he feels triggered. “Okay, here’s the thing. I have searched for job vacancies around the area. The aquarium is located inside the COEX Mall, which is in Gangnam, which is not very far from here. So there are the list of jobs I have collected from websites and pamphlets spreading around. Tomorrow we’ll split into two and try to find a job.” He said. Jinna was about to ask him whether or not she should tell Mino about the aquarium’s whereabouts. But Jinwoo spoke before she could even move her lips. “Mino has no idea that the aquarium is so close to our penthouse and I want you to keep silent about it. There’s a reason why I picked this house.”

“Okay, you’re smarter than I thought.” She nodded.

“Go back to sleep. We’re leaving at 10.” Jinwoo messed with the top of Jinna’s hair and pushed the girl away to the direction of her bedroom.

***

The next day they left the house by telling the mermen that they’re going to look around the area to find some shopping spots. They were originally asking to come along, but then Jinna gave them a piece of paper with K-Drama schedule for the day printed on it and had successfully changed their mind. The two took a subway just 5 minutes from thei

Please log in to read the full chapter