So She Came up with a Plan

Beyond the Sea
Please log in to read the full chapter

The Pacific Ocean; known as the home for a school of numerous kinds of fish from gigantic whales and big squids, to the cute bluefish and seahorses. But we're not talking about that or the fish that lurks deep in the darkness with a light bulb hanging on their head. We’re talking about the kind of fish that lives near the land, far from the deep dark depths, just behind the big blue coral. The kind of fish that—not many knows a thing about this fact—exists because of a curse. The kind of fish humans like to call them as Mer people. Or as some blunt human say, mermaid.

Half of man and half of fish, Mer people has been cursed with a blessing. Aside from a colourful pair of strong wide dolphin tail, the Mer people could also live up on the land. But curse is a curse, up on the land they need constant watering or else they'll turn into bubbles and just vanish. Most of them like to play it safe and won't even bother to go to the land. They chose to stay in the water and live happily with enough supply of seaweeds and corals.

The myth has it that the mermaids lure the sailors and drown them to their watery death, but it's just a form of human's ignorance to spot the difference between mermaids and the witches of the sea, the descendant of the foul-hearted mermaid. The first time you saw them, they're as beautiful as mermaids. But once you see their tentacles on where mermaids tail should be you'll know it right away that you're in grave danger.

The Mer people lives around the big blue coral; the sign of their kingdom. The Mer lives side by side with their deserted fellow, the salt-water fairy; the descendant of the noble fairy, cursed by the same curse that cursed the Mer people. The fairies are the strongest among them. Back on the land, they're destined to be the guardian of the forests. Equipped with more advanced brain, magic skill, and the protective instinct, the water fairies tend to look after their roommates.

At The Coral, nobody is higher than another, the Mer people and the water fairies are equal. At first they're just two victims of a curse, as the time went by, they are family that look out for each other around The Big Blue Coral. Even offspring between fairies and Mer aren’t something uncommon. But only the pureblood fay had what it takes to be their guardian.

Nobody had ever wandered far from The Coral since most of the Mer and fairies are weak-hearted and prefer to just lie lazily around the capital. But an exception comes for two young mermen and a pair of fairy siblings. The four are the most adventurous Mer and fairies among The Coral ever since they discovered that there’s more to explore beyond the coral they lived in. They always had the thirst for adventure; the taste of wandering around shipwrecks satisfied them.

The four were busy wandering and digging deep inside a shipwreck to find something for one of their pack member’s sister. A young merman with rather intimidating face, sunk himself between the old wooden crates; hoping to find something. His expression hardened and his teeth gritted together as he now shifting from the crates and straight to the drawers. Today’s his sister’s birthday and he wanted to give her something other than accessories made from seaweed or shells.

His female fairy friend was busy putting on some jewellery onto her tiny body on the boudoir. She kept swirling and daintily flipped her light brown hair so it gorgeously fell around her face as she modelled the jewellery. Her eyes then stuck on a beautiful necklace in emerald and grabbed it right away.

"Mino!" The female fairy yelled to the strong-faced merman. With the size of body that's no bigger than your hand, she pulled out a pearl necklace from the drawer with all her might. The necklace hung from her neck and to the end of her crimson tail, and faintly swung when she wiggled to show her Mer friend what she just found. "Look what I found for your sister's birthday."

"You are the best, my Jinna!" The young merman she just called as Mino swam across the wreck and carefully took the necklace from the girl, avoiding the stinging lionfish-like fin that sprouted out from her back. Back when they used to live on land, the fins were known as wings. And they’ll always be.

"How come do you find the best things almost every time?" Another merman with funny face and small eyes emerged from the lower deck and poked on the girl with his finger, too much damage for a small fairy. "Burglar."

"Yah!" The girl barked. "Oppa! Jinwoo-oppa! Seunghoon-oppa is bullying me again!"

"Scream all you want, lil girl. What would a fairy do to...AAAAAH?" Seunghoon felt a stinging pierce on his tail. He took a glance on his golden tail and found an orange-ish mark on it. Jinwoo, the person Jinna mentioned earlier, swam from behind Seunghoon's tail, heading straight next to his sister. They were very alike, a carbon copy of each other.

"Yeah, that's what a fairy can do. Good thing I didn't transform to your size." He grinned and patted on his sister's head. "Do not mess with my baby Jinna."

"Yah!" Seunghoon yelled to the older fairy. "You can sting all you want to your tail, it's green."

"Teal, my tail is teal."

"Whatever!" Seunghoon said, denying that a fairy just corrected him for the colour of his tail between his rant. "Or...or Mino! His tail is deep blue so it won't be visible if you sting him."

"Our tails are going to turn purp

Please log in to read the full chapter