Here Goes The Human World

Beyond the Sea
Please log in to read the full chapter

The glimmering light of the sunrise began to sweep the earth. Those warm orange beam bursts between the leaves of the bushes and landed on the four youngsters that had just arrived from the big blue ocean. Jinwoo was the first to get up amongst the four and began to search around. Everything was quite clear with the faint light of the sun beaming upon them. He could now clearly see the shore and a small shack nearby that was unclear before the light.

He looked down on his sleeping peers and smiled. Mer people don’t usually sleep while in the water. They tend to float without moving an inch to regain their energy, but not totally unconscious. But up there is different, they’re all knocked out and, as someone who experienced the land creature sleeping for the first time, it wasn’t so bad. After he’s done with observing the coast, he then tried hard to hide his fins which now had turned into a pair of wings inside his back in order to blend in and move with the plan. Jinwoo bent down and try to wake his sister up by poking on her cheeks and later, nostrils. The girl responded by slapping his hand and wriggled. Jinna tried hard to shift her eyelids open and the harsh amount of light blinded her in no time. She curled back into a ball next to the sleeping Mino and refused to follow her brother’s arm.

“Jinna wake up.” Jinwoo shook her body. But the girl refused to move even an inch. “Jinna, come on.”

“Just wait, I’m tired.” She yawned and snug comfortably on a pile of leaves she was sleeping on. “Wake the others up.”

Jinwoo sighed and forcefully pulled his sister up to her feet. She wobbled at first due to the stance she’s not used to, and the fact that she’s still half-sleeping. Jinna groaned and punched on Jinwoo’s chest while chanting how much she hates her older brother. Jinwoo shook her words off and towers over her small figure as a human. “My Jinna rise and shine.” He cheered.

“What’s with you acting so cute all of a sudden?” She groaned again. “It bothers me.”

“Good. Then I’ll act cute from now on.” He smirked. “My Jinna~”

“Shut it, Oppa. Wake the others up.” She barked before bending down to grab her damp and heavy bags. “Do things always get this heavy up on the land?”

“Guess so. I read about it somewhere. It’s called gravity. And talking about that, please don’t ever fly. Now hide your wings.” He walked over his sleeping friends and slapped them on their cheeks. “Seunghoon, Mino, wake up!” He poked on their faces before he gave up doing it nicely due to no reaction from the two.

Seunghoon was the first to wake up. Thanks to Jinwoo’s spare clothes, he’s not wearing a woman’s attire and had changed to a hoodie and a pair of worn out jeans. His vision blurred as the bright light of the unfamiliar sun burst to his retina. Slowly he was able to see his surrounding and stunned for a moment after seeing the human land clearly for the first time.

“Oppa, we’re on the land.” Jinna sat down next to him and gave him his bag. “Isn’t it beautiful; the shining red ball on the sky?” She sighed while looking at the early rising sun.

“Mino, get up! We need to find your sister!” Jinwoo roared to the younger boy while trying his best to pull him from planking on the ground. Jinna and Seunghoon giggled to the two boys behind them and continued to devour the beauty of their first morning on the land. They had never seen, or hear such things as sunrise and the chirping sound of the morning birds before.

Just when Mino’s fully awake, Jinwoo came up with a plan to blend in with humans. He then directed the pack to head for the small shack as survivors who lost everything they had in an accident while he hypnotizes them. Jinna’s in charge for persuading them to believe their made-up story by acting like a helpless girl behind her brother’s back.

They knocked three times on the small front door and a small old lady came up from behind the already tiny door. “Who are you youngsters?” She asked while scanning them one by one from head to toe and stopped at the sight of the acting-scared Jinna. “And why are you bringing a scared girl with the three of you?”

The three of them made up a story about their boat sinking into the ocean while they’re trying to get back from Jeju Island and that they lost their belongings like their ID card and other important stuffs except for their bags. Jinna had no idea whether her brother had done some magic to the old lady or not,—she assumed it’s positive because the story doesn’t make any sense— but she offered the four of them their first breakfast and commanded them to wai

Please log in to read the full chapter