The I love you's

Too Much That It Hurts

“Unnie! Palli! Why are you taking so long tying your hair, seriously?” Krystal whined to Jessica.

“Seriously, Krys! I’m the one who is the student but why are you the one who is so energetic?!” The oldest answered while tying her hair and glaring at her dongsaeng from the mirror.

“I can’t miss this. Besides, tomorrow night I have to leave to US again if you forget. Just help making your dongsaeng’s vacation nice, okay?”

“Vacation, huh?”

 

It’s been the third day after she arrived in Seoul and chose to stay at Choi Residence. And now she was ready to go to her sister’s school together again. Yes, again, before the day before she’s already come and even been introduced to Tiffany, Taeyeon, and Yuri.

Although Jessica kept rejecting her request to visit her school, Krystal kept begging, and finally she ended up calling Yuri from Jessica’s phone and asked her to pick them up and sent them school. And of course Yuri kindly granted that wish. Not because she was still having hopes to get Jessica back, but simply because she had nothing to do in her remaining days in Seoul.

 

 

flashback

 

“Jung Soojung! Are you listening?”

In a bit scolding tone, Jessica asked her sister who was now busy watching Teletubbies airing on the TV. They were both sitting on the couch in family room.  It was just a moment after Jessica arrived home and found out that her sister has already in the same country, same city, and definitely same roof as her.

On the other hand, Krystal didn’t care too much of what her unnie have said. She was too absorbed with the show.

“Dipsy… Lala…. Po!” She said, matching the rhythm of the song with her mimicking all the gestures the Telletubies did.

“Oh my God. What is her age again?” Jessica mumbled seeing her sister’s behavior. She then grabbed the TV remote then turned it off.

“Aaaaaah!!! Unnie! I’m watching!”

“Answer me first, rascal.” Jessica crossed her arms in front of her chest as a respond to Krystal’s whine.

“I’ve told you I’m just visiting because I miss you.” Jessica didn’t stop staring at her sister. It’s as if there was ‘Like I believe you’ written on her face. Krystal sighed before giving another reasons.

 

“Okay. I just have a study trip from school to Japan. It must have been for a week. But after two days there I got bored, so I chose to have a flight here.”

Jessica face palmed after hearing that. What a naughty dongsaeng she had here.

“And I guess you didn’t tell Eomma or Appa.”

“Do I have to?”

“Yah!” The older flicked Krystal’s forehead lightly, making her groaned in pain.

Pouting, Krystal said back. “I’m with you here. They won’t worry over me. It’s not like you’re someone bad.” She rolled her eyes. “Well. Maybe sometimes you are.”

“Yah!” Jessica repeated her action, flicking the sister’s forehead.

“Yah! That’s how you are bad!” Krystal scolded back as she rubbed her red forehead and pouted. “Besides I didn’t lie about the ‘I miss you’ part.”

 

Jessica smiled warmly. After all the naughty things she did, she’s still Jung Soojung, her sweetest dongsaeng ever.

“I michutuuu, baby Jung…” She said while pinching Krystal’s both cheeks.

“Why are you still pouting? Are you asking for unnie’s kiss??” Jessica joked as she puckered her lips, which quickly pushed back by Krystal’s palm. “Iyuwh!! Disgusting!!!!”

The unnie laughed out loud before she wrote something on her phone. “I’ll inform Eomma that you’re here so she will scold you once you arrive there again.”

“Yah! Bad unnie!” Jessica just giggled at her whine then continued typing.

 

“Unnie..” Krystal called suddenly.

“Hmm?”

“Where is she?” The question made Jessica turned her head to the kid.

“Who?”

“The Choi Sooyoung, Eomma told me that you fell in love with her.”

“YAHH!!!” Jessica threw a couch pillow to Krystal’s face, so that her sister couldn’t see her red face after being asked by that question.

“Nappeun unnie.. How about your girlfriend before? Yuri unnie, is it her name?” Krystal continued after pulling the pillow from her face.

“Neh. We’ve broken up.”

“JINJJA?!”

Jessica nodded.

“Uh. I like her tho. She was so cool, never care about school stuffs!”

“Of course you liked her because you both have the same style. Rebel.”

“Whatever.”

“And by chance she is also in Seoul now.”

“Oh. Great! Let’s meet her!” Krystal said as she grabbed her unnie’s wrist, which Jessica quickly shooed.

“Krystal, it’s almost night!”

“Ugh..”

“……”

“I’m bored.”

“You are always.”

 

Suddenly, Jessica’s phone rang. It’s Tiffany. She answered that and walked away from Krystal to have a proper conversation. Just after, Krystal took the TV remote, the TV again to continue watching her Teletubbies.

In the time Dipsy was hugging with Tinky Winky, the front door made a crack sound. Curious of who was coming, Krystal sneaked out heading there and by that found a tall charming girl opening her shoes whom she guess as “Choi Sooyoung?”

Sooyoung glanced after her name being called. “Jessica, have you been growing a bit taller?” She said as fixing her glasses position.

Krystal rolled her eyes again and put her hands on her waist, before using the TV remote to point at Sooyoung dorkily.

“You don’t pass the qualifications to be my unnie’s girlfriend because you can’t differentiate her with me!”

“Eh?” Sooyoung put a blank face. “You are her sister? Why are you-“ Before Sooyoung could continue her question, Krystal shouted loud enough for her sister to hear and come.

“Sica Unnie! Your crush is here!” That made Sooyoung’s cheeks went pinky.

On the other side of the house Jessica was also blushing madly after hearing that, “That rascal!” She cursed her sister as walking quickly to where she was. Seeing her unnie coming, the rebel kid continued.

“She can’t even see the difference between you and me, so the I-“ Jessica quickly stopped Krystal by closing with her palm.

“I’m so sorry for her behavior.” Jessica bowed at Sooyoung while pulling Krystal to her room with her palm still on the dongsaeng’s mouth, left Sooyoung dumbfounded for a while before smiling at the sisters.

 

end of flashback

 

 

BEEP BEEP!

The sounds of honk heard from outside the house. Thinking it must be Yuri, Krystal made her way there in quick paces. But noticing her sister wasn’t beside her yet, she sighed and walked back.

“Unnie! Why are you so slow?! Yuri unnie is waiting!” She said as she pulled her unnie by wrist.

“Never run no matter how late you are.” Jessica answered while giggling at her dongsaeng calmly, not willing to fasten her steps.

 

Seeing the scenes while she was readying her bicycle, Sooyoung smiled. After Krystal’s arriving, she felt that Jessica has become more happy. She’s seen laughing and smiling more often than before. It relieved Sooyoung so much seeing the girl in her good mood. She kept thanking the younger sister in her heart for bringing back her unnie’s happiness in these past days. It seemed like she’s already forget the pain Sooyoung had given her.

As for Sooyoung, she was so glad by just thinking of that, how Jessica already forgot her hurt. She even didn’t mind if it took the girl to forget her just to erase the pain. Just forget her if it would make Jessica smiled and laughed brightly as just now. She didn’t mind. She really didn’t. Even it hurt her so bad to let Jessica go. She didn’t mind. She really didn’t.

 

“Oh, Sooyoung Unnie. We’re going first..”

Krystal waved at Sooyoung as the both Jungs entering Yuri’s car, while Jessica was keep silent even she glanced at the tall girl for some times. Sooyoung nodded and smiled as reply. As Yuri’s car started moving, she started riding her bike too.

 

Sooyoung’s POV

I am now sitting with Yoona in the canteen for lunch break when a feel a light poking on my back.

“Hey, Buddy!” It’s Taeyeon.

She comes with Tiffany, Yuri, and Krystal. Where is she?

“Oh, hi Sooyoung unnie..” She sees Yoona, “and the girlfriend.”

“Hi too.” Yoona answers simply, which makes me in awkward.

 

Krystal then looked back at the three other unnies as they’re sitting down not far from us, so that I can still hear their conversation.

“So, as my unnie is still in the toilet, I’m asking you all again, what day is tomorrow?” Oh, so she is in the toilet. Wait. Why am I so curious anyway.

“Uh, Soojung-ah, we already answered. Tomorrow will be Saturday, kiddo!” Tiffany said.

“Uh, pabo Tiffany unnie.” Krystal said while hitting Tiffany’s arm lightly, making the others laugh. “I mean what’s special on that day?”

Tiffany is thinking for a while as she read something on her phone, probably checking the calendar.

 

“Oh my God, it’s Jessica’s birthday!” Tiffany says, makes me a little stiffen.

 

“Oh, really?” Taeyeon and Yuri asked in the same time.

“Yah, Yuri unnie! You are her ex, who could you don’t know!” Krystal protests at the tan girl, making the later giggles. “Miyan..”

“Huft….”

“And then?” Taeyeon asks dumbly.

“So then I want to ask your help to make some surprise party for her tomorrow, of course!”

 

I’m getting excited with their conversation but I hide it of course. It will be awkward if I excitedly join their conversation with Yoona next to me.

I don’t know why, but I can feel that Yoona and Jessica’s relationship is not so good, and it worsen by how Krystal sees her. I guess Krystal already know something about me and Jessica, that’s why she acts differently towards Yoona.

 

Krystal’s POV

In the middle of our talks about tomorrow mission, I see my unnie comes towards us, so I signaling the other unnies to stop for a while.

“Hey, you're all seem drowned in an interesting talk. Mind to share?” She says while circling her arms around my neck from behind.

“I told them that you didn’t brush your teeth this morning.” I say.

“YAH! I DID, YOU RASCAL!” She tightens her hold and pretends to smack me.

 

I glance at Sooyoung unnie and she is smiling while glancing at us. I know it, Unnie. You can’t resist my unnie’s paboness. Oops, I mean her childishness. So what are you doing with the annoying girl beside you, really.

On the first night after I arrived at Choi Residence, I was success in doing in-depth interview with my unnie about the Choi Sooyoung. Because I kept bugging her sleep, she finally told me everything. She told me from A to Z, about how she broke up with Yuri Unnie, about her unclear relationship with Sooyoung unnie, and of course about this annoying Yoona girl.

Okay, it’s maybe not her fault. I believe there isn’t anyone who is in fault. I can’t blame anyone after hearing the whole story. But, ugh, this Yoona girl. I don’t know. I’m sorry Yoona. I don’t blame you. I just love my sister that’s why I see you are annoying. Ugh, and how come her face resembles me so much? That’s even more annoying!!

 

 

Slowly Jessica unnie releases her hold on my neck then sits next to me. She then starts munching her sandwiches which I bought earlier for her. After a while, I can hear Yoona’s voice talking sweetly to Sooyoung unnie, making me glance at them a bit.

 

“Unnie, let’s have a date tomorrow!” She puts some aegyo into the tone. Annoying much. I noticed that Sooyoung unnie startled and a bit confused to answer, well maybe because she knows that Jessica unnie can hear them.

“Unnie~” That Yoona girl calls her again, adding more aegyo, making me want to smack her head literaly.

“O-okay, Yoong.” Sooyoung unnie finally answers.

 

I glance at Jessica unnie and notice that she is kind of distracted after what she just heard. Duh, of course. I hold her hand gently, making her look at me. I then mouth ‘are you okay?’ to her. She smiles and nodded at me, before kissing my right cheek while mumbling, “Thank you, Soojung-ah.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

the day after that, in the afternoon

 

Author’s POV

In the corner table of a coffee shop, Sooyoung was busy with some paper in front of her and some spidols in her hand.

“I’ll do my best, Yoona. I promise you.”

 

 

flashback

 

Yoona was finishing her gulps of orange juice while glancing Sooyoung who’s staring at her for some quite times. She giggled at that look.

“What?” She asked the older girl.

“What? I’m the one who should ask that, Yoong.”

“And by ‘that’, you mean…?”

 

“You didn’t usually ask for a date in a five star restaurant and more absurdly…” Sooyoung glanced at her watch and see it was just 9AM. “early in the morning like this, a breakfast date?”

 

Sooyoung asked blankly but Yoona just chuckled at her questions, before finally looked at her and smile.

 

“Because I want to make it special, Unnie.”

“You’re saying all the other dates with me are not special?” Sooyoung frowned.

“No, unnie. Of course I don’t mean that. Even they’re not dates, every single time with you is precious.” She held Sooyoung’s hand.

“So?”

 

“I want to make it different.”

 

Sooyoung keep quiet, waiting for Yoona to continue, but the younger girl’s next words shocks her.

 

 

 

 

“Because today will finally be our last date.”

 

 

“……..”

“……..”

 

 

 

Sooyoung was too shocked to reply, or even to absorb what the latter just said.

 

 

 

“……..”

“……..”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Unnie.”

“……..”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I let you go.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“W-what do you mean?”

 

Yoona smiled at Sooyoung’s question, before tightening her hold on the latter’s hand.

 

 

 

“At first I just heard the rumors. About you both. You. And Jessica unnie. And I ignored that. I didn’t mind because however you’re still mine. And I was still yours. They didn’t understand. They didn’t know how long we’ve known each other. And exactly what we feel to each other. They didn’t understand. I believe they didn’t.”

“……..”

“You are my unnie. You are my…” She smiled. “my first love, as my father said.”

“………”

“And I once believed that I was to you too, just because we spent times together for a long time.”

“………”

“I thought I’m only for you and you are only for me. I thought you are fully mine.” Yoona chuckled. “You won’t believe that I even told Jessica unnie to back off because I don’t like to share what’s mine.”

“………”

“And by what’s mine, I mean you.”

“……….”

 

 

Yoona bit her lower lip, gulped a bit, before continuing her speech.

 

 

 

“But that day.” She smiled at the latter who wasn’t ready to speak any responds yet.

“That day I prove that I was wrong.”

“………”

“………”

“That day I knew all the ‘I love you’s you’ve said for me was just the signs of sister’s love.”

“………”

 

 

“Because that day in the check-up room, I heard the different ‘I love you’ from your mouth.”

“………”

 

“A much more sincere one.”

“………”

 

“The ‘I love you’ that seemed like you’re hanging your life in those three words. The ‘I love you’ that able to make you sacrifice your breath to say that, or even repeating it over and over again. I believe you won’t mind. I believe you won’t mind if it’s for her.”

 

 

“And your tears.”

“………”

“Even after how many years I’ve known you, I never see you cry except for your father’s death. Not even once.”

“………”

“But she managed to make you cry.”

“……….”

“That annoyed me how she can do what I can’t do to you.” Yoona looked at Sooyoung weakly.

 

 

 

“So I think there is no point to continue what I once said ours. This relationship. There’s no point when exactly the ‘I love you’s we said to each other are on different tendency levels.” She chuckled again.

 

 

 

“Yoong…”

 

 

 

“But, unnie..”

“……”

“You don’t have to feel guilty.”

“…….”

“I’m not giving up on love.”

“……..”

“I promise you, I will find a person to love. The person who will have the same ‘I love you’ as I tell her or him. The person who will complete me and fix me.”

 

 

Sooyoung smiled a little, feeling grateful for how Yoona growing very mature. Compare to her own self who was too coward to choose a right way in love.

 

 

“I promise I will tell you when I meet the person.”

“…….”

“But as a payback, I want you to promise me too.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Promise me that you will try hard to make it right between you and her. Promise me that you will tell her that you want her for yourself. Promise me that once you’re with her, you will not hurt her anymore. Promise me that your heart will never be torn. Promise me that she will be the one and only.”

 

“Because I know that she loves you as much.” Yoona giggled. “Heck, nothing’s more obvious than the ways she smiled and looked at you. I wonder if she never been in love before.”

 

Sooyoung smiled, replied by a same bright smile by Yoona, who was still holding her hand.

 

 

 

“Unnie, I’m sorry. I promise this is the last.”

 

Yoona raised from her chair, walked to Sooyoung’s side, then pecked her lips lightly.

 

 

“Today is her birthday. Please promise me you will try your best.”

 

By that, Yoona released Sooyoung’s hand and walked away. But after some steps, Sooyoung’s called her.

“Yoong!” Yoona turned her head back.

 

 

“Thank you. You will always be my Baby Im.”

 

Yoona smiled widely.

 

 

“I love you.”

 

 

“I love you too, Unnie.”