08: boys in the club

Run / slip
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

08/ / boys in the club

“And what can I get you this evening?”  The confident boy looked happily at Soojung, an arm draped around her shoulder.  It was Jaebum, dressed smartly in a grey shirt and navy chinos.  He was definitely good looking as Luna promised but Soojung did not like the touchy feely type of people.  He was also one of the guys that had been chasing her whenever she went to university.  He must have asked Luna to get her out clubbing.

Luna had disappeared almost instantly with a boy called V, whom she had only introduced to moments earlier by Jaebum.  Soojung silently cursed Luna.  The other guys from Jaebum’s group of friends briefly said ‘hi’ but it was clear to them, that she was ‘Jaebum’s’.

Jaebum had not missed the look of irritation on Soojung’s face and asked again, “Any drink that you want?  Or should we go somewhere more interesting?”   His hand around her waist tightened as he said the words and Soojung tensed uncomfortably at the evasive touch.

Soojung didn’t know when his hand had slipped around her waist but she did not like it.  She quickly said with a forced smile, “Could you get me a margarita?” 

Jaebum nodded and headed towards the bar, leaving Soojung with a bit more breathing space.  It wasn’t like Soojung didn’t like dancing.  She just didn’t enjoy being preyed on like a piece of meat by the guys in the club.  It was exhausting.  She didn’t understand why Luna liked coming here so much. 

The decided to escape to the dance floor before Jaebum came back with the drinks.  She moved through the wave of people and stayed near the front where there was the DJ and hoped Jaebum didn’t notice her from there.

Everything that happened to her today seemed too strange and too surreal to be true.  It was like a dream.  No, it was more like a living nightmare.  She had searched so desperately for clues on her parents’ disappearance and now she had a feeling that the answer had been right under her nose all this time. 

It was infuriating yet stirred up a glimmer of hope in her heart.  Something she hadn’t before even dreamt of thinking.  Soojung was looking for their bodies before, but she wanted to believe she could find them alive and breathing now, even if Mon had be adamant they wouldn’t be alive.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter