17: chicken wings

Run / slip
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

17/ / chicken wings

As they walked on the streets, Jin walked beside Soojung, his hands in his hoodie to keep the cold out.  Jungkook was busy explaining to Mon about the place they were going to eat at and how good their food was rated online.

“Are you regretting us showing you all of this?” Jin asked, his voice was even but Soojung could hear a slight anxiousness to the end of question.

“No, I’m glad you guys did.  If I ever slipped into a gap, I would be stuck there forever since I wouldn’t have known how to get out.  Plus, you guys said I tended to be attracted to gaps.  I’m sorry for what happened to your friend though.”

Jin nodded and said, “We never found his body in the water.  All of us dived in to find him.  But there was nothing.  I think there is a small part of Mon and Jungkook which still believes that he is still alive.”

“How about you?” 

Jin deliberated for a moment before answering.  “No, I don’t think he is.  I just hope he is in a better place now.”

Jungkook had led them to a chicken restaurant that was only a street away from the warehouse. 

“I’ve been eyeing this place for a long time.  Let’s try it.  It smells so good every time I walk pass,” he said as he walked towards the entrance.

Soojung had kept away from chicken for a long time.  It wasn’t because she didn’t like them.  On the contrary, they used to be her favourite food.  Jin noticed her hesitance and quickly asked, “We can always eat something else if you don’t like chicken Soojung.”

“No, it’s fine.  Chicken is good with me,” She said forcing a smile on her face.

“Whether you decide to slip with us or not, we’re still stay by your side,” Mon said quietly while Jin and Jungkook were arguing over what to pick in the menu.

Soojung turned to him, his eyes calmly watching her.  They were the type of eyes she could watch for a long time, just soaking up the serenity. 

“Thanks Mon,” She said.

When the food had been ordered and finally arrived, Jin and Jungkook were the first ones to dig in. 

“Careful, it’s hot,” Mon said as he passed a chicken wing to her.

Soojung looked at the chicken wing for a while and finally took a bite.

Mon looked for Soojung’s reaction and was not expecting her to look back at him dazed.

“What’s wrong?” He asked.  “Is the wing not good?” 

He took a bite himself.  The aroma from the seasoning made him smile in delight but Mon was confused as to why Soojung didn’t seem to enjoy it.

“No, they are really good,” She said with a sniff. 

Soojung quietly ate the wing without a word to Mon.  Jin had also turned to her surprised at her tears.  He had taken a tissue and wiped them away.  Neither Jin, Mon nor Jungkook asked her any questions but continued to eat quietly, observing her with concern.

“I haven’t eaten this for a very long time,” Soojung finally said. 

The boys didn’t interrupt but waited patiently for her to continue. 

“The last time I saw my mother, we were arguing.  It was about what I was going to study when I got into university.”

She had wanted to do take an arts degree while her mother wanted her to follow in her footsteps as well as her father’s footsteps and become a doctor instead.  It was a constant disagreement between her and her mother.

“Why can’t you let me do what I want?”  Soojung had had the same conversation wi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter