20: mint and ice cream

Run / slip
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

20/ / mint and ice cream

Jungkook and Soojung had been waiting anxiously for Jin and Mon to arrive at the warehouse to explain the situation to them.  Soojung couldn’t help but pace around, her black ankle boots clacking against the dusty concrete floor. 

The moment Mon and Jin came back, Jungkook had abandoned his homework and ran up to the both of them who seemed quite gloomy considering they had found the boy before it had been too late.   It had been a mission accomplished; yet Soojung felt a sense of foreboding.  It was an unsettling feeling in her stomach, which she hoped would be a false alarm.

Jin gave Mon a meaningful look and Mon nodded, so Jin finally said, “The boy, Doyoung when we found him, he was quite weak and out of it.  But he’s back with his family now, so everything’s ok.”

Soojung took a deep sigh of relief, grateful that the boy was saved before it had been too late. 

“Did you ask him how he ended up slipping?”  Jungkook wondered immediately, looking eagerly at both Mon and Jin for answers.

“Doyoung wouldn’t say much.  He seemed pretty traumatised.  He was covered in bruises and his clothes were all torn when we found hiding in the bushes in the other dimension but-”

Jin had looked hesitantly at Jungkook and said after a deep sigh, “Doyoung said he followed a boy with mint green hair into a hole.  He didn’t know where he was.”

Jungkook’s face lit up all of a sudden.  “Yoongi? He saw Yoongi?”

“We’re not sure.  But it’s strange.  If it was him, why would he ask the boy to follow him?”  Mon said.  He wasn’t really asking them and was more thinking out aloud.  It had been so long since anyone had mentioned Yoongi. 

“Do we have any more clues on Yoongi?”  Jungkook asked, not at all concerned at the reason why Doyoung ended up in the gap in the first place.   But Mon just shook his head silently and didn’t say anymore.  The light in Jungkook’s eyes faded in disappointment immediately.

Soojung was confused, who was Yoongi and why did Jungkook take so much interest in him? 

“Who’s Yoongi?” She asked, hoping it was not a sore spot she had just stepped on.

“One of our old friends who used to slip with us.  He’s one of the ones who left.  After Yoongi left, he didn’t let anyone contact him afterwards.  No one knew where he went,” Mon explained. 

“But Yoongi’s always been like that.  He doesn’t always say what he’s thinking.  Maybe he’ll come back soon,” Jungkook said hopefully.  “Should we go look for him?”

Jin looked worriedly at Jungkook, “You’re not going by yourself Jungkook, ok?’

He turned back to face Mon, “This is why I didn’t want to tell him, Mon.  We don’t even know if it’s really Yoongi.  Why are we giving everyone false hope?”

“Jungkook has a right to know Jin.  He was the closest to Yoongi,” Mon said firmly.  “He’s not a kid anymore.”

Jin still looked conflicted but he didn’t say anything more and instead walked out of the warehouse shaking his head.  Soojung could sense the tenseness between Mon and Jin.  She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter