16: and then there was 3

Run / slip
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

16/ / and then there was three

Soojung could see that Mon was deeply affected.  It wasn’t a surprise since it was his friend’s death that he had to witness.  The look of guilt and defeat was not lost from Soojung’s gaze.  She knew that look well; it was the expression she saw when she looked into her own reflection.

She wondered how his friend had gotten to that breaking point but she didn’t want to make Mon’s life any harder so she decided against it.

“He had stopped hanging with us more and more often.  I should have known something was up.  I should have realised when he phoned me the day before we slipped into the dimension where he decided to end it all.  He had told me that he missed us.  I don’t understand how he could leave us.”

“He must have had his reasons.  Mon, you can’t blame yourself like this though,” Soojung said slowly. 

Mon just nodded tiringly.  She knew Mon must have run through the memories many times, trying to work out at which point did it all go wrong. 

Soojung and Mon had walked back quietly to the warehouse where Jin and Jungkook were sitting casually on the couch, obviously finished with the work that Mon had set them.

It wasn’t until Jin looked with raised eyebrows at their linked hands did Soojung awkwardly retract her hand from Mon.  Soojung had been too concerned about Mon freaking out before and had not realised they were still holding hands.  Slipping had already made her accustomed to it.

“You guys forgot that you are back in the normal world?”

Jin teased before pointing to the map he had marked up that was pinned up on the wall.  He dropped the topic almost straight away and said, “I’ve marked all the locations we have slipped into.  I’m guessing you didn’t have any luck at the school.”

Mon nodded rubbing his temples.  “Soojung found a footprint in the mud though.  So we can probably almost confirm he slipped.  And it’s likely he’s somewhere in the dimension we were in before.”

“So Location School Zone A.”  Jin said as he pointed to the map.  “Mon, I’ll go with you tomorrow to take another look.  There’s not much time left.  Jungkook you need to study for your exams.  Don’t give me that look.”

It seemed that Jungkook had wanted to go as well and when Jin refused, he gave him a dirty look.

Soojung took a good glance at Mon, taking in his tired face and worn out expression.  And then at Jin and Jungkook who were similar looking expressions, dark circles

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter