A matter of trust

Three Types Of Fear


The sun shines everywhere!

blog entry #744
Wah, today I was almost late!
I woke up to the sunrise and I was like 'Oh, relaaax, the sun just rose'
...
...But in the west the sun rises much later! *shock*
I was SO late!
My hair was so wild I felt like a poodle ._.
Why does this event try to negate my blog's title?
Let's rephrase: the sun shines indeed everywhere, at least in our hearts.
Too greasy? I'd call it deep!
Gotta work now~
Have a wonderful day everyone~
#sunshine

With a few additional taps he added a picture of this morning's sunrise and saved the entry.
He had been blogging for quite a long time now and it had initially been a method of stress relief and to tell Baekhyun what he was up to. Even he had no explanation as to where he got all those followers from. But at the launch of the FutureCare project the number had risen considerably once more. Now he could look at a logic-defying number of over one million followers.
All of a sudden he had become some sort of messenger, some symbol.
And even though Chanyeol was truly a positive person, there was no denying that he wasn't as free anymore as he'd have liked. One example being that he had never even once mentioned their teamwork (or lack thereof). He tried to stay clear of anything work-related in general.
Now he had to be happy, even in his own online diary.
He was a happy person, really. He'd just like to have a choice.

"Kyungsoo?"
At the sound of the shy Jongin daring to approach Kyungsoo he looked up from his screen. Jongin was standing by the Northener's desk, clasping something behind his back as he carefully tried to get his attention.
"What?"
The reply was curt but not as scalding as it used to be. He would be genuinely happy for them if they'd managed to at least overcome a few of the misunderstandings between them. Maybe Kyungsoo had finally realized what a great person Jongin was.
"I was just-... are you alright?" Jongin stammered, changing course midway and now Chanyeol's attention was definitely perked.
"Yes." Kyungsoo merely replied but really, he sounded different. Tired maybe?
"Your eyes are all red."
He craned his neck to confirm that yes, they were pretty red. Even on good days Kyungsoo was rather pale from staying inside all day long but today he looked almost sick.
"Allergy. Now what do you want?!" he snapped in the annoyance they knew him for.
"It's... nothing. Just forget about it. Sorry." Jongin mumbled and from his point of view he could clearly see him crumble the paper in his hands.

 

"So you're telling me that the project's outline is ready. Are you sure about that?"
"Yes." Chanyeol confidently replied as the three sat across at a thoughtful-looking Mr. Zhang.
"And you have sorted our all your personal issues."
"Yes." Jongin answered quietly, surprising Chanyeol a little. Well, Jongin probably knew he was a horrible liar.
"Is that so." he hummed, giving them a very sharp once over.
"...you don't look all that thrilled to me though."
"Well, everyone has a bad day once in a while Sir." he quickly threw in, acutely aware of how quiet Kyungsoo was being, completely void of any snarky remark.
"Oh. Who is having a bad day here?" he asked in interest, looking at them inquiringly.
A beat of silence followed until-
"Me!" - "Me."

Chanyeol's head whipped over to Jongin who had simultaneously decided to jump in.
"Uhm. Us. Yeah. That's why it's so quiet, haha. Then again we both have a bad day - that might speak for unity between us, no?" Chanyeol jokingly added and while Mr. Zhang was giving them the skeptical 'oh really?' look completed with one raised eyebrow, he seemed fairly amused himself.
"If you say so Mister Park. I think the world would be a happier place if more people had your attitude. Alright. You have my permission to present the outline to the board. Lucky for you there's a meeting this afternoon. The schedule's not too stuffed either if I remember correctly. We should have some time to spare for you. Or do you need a bit more time to prepare?"
Chanyeol couldn't help throwing a side-glance at the hollow shell of what used to be Kyungsoo and was about to propose a different day when the shorter one beat him to it.
"We're ready." he exclaimed in determination but considerably less firm than usual.

 

Chanyeol managed to keep in the relieved exhale until they had left the board meeting and the door to their office was closed securely.
"We did it." he said, almost not believing it himself.
Jongin wore a tiny, happy smile as he spread the documents on the table while Kyungsoo wordlessly plopped down on his chair, a much less happy sigh on his own lips.

They had indeed presented their concept named "Art is the handwriting of your soul", proposing that both kids and idols would engage in all different sorts of creative activities such as painting, dancing, filming or crafting. As expected the idea itself was taken very well by the board members and even the founder of CARE had been present, agreeing just as much.
Everything aside from the idea had been a mess though. The technicalities were all set up and worked pretty well considering the short amount of time Kyungsoo had on his hands to accommodate their existing presentations. Chanyeol had dared to drink a cup of iced macchiato, knowing very well that a tad more energy would always produce good results.
They had been considerate enough to place Kyungsoo behind the computer in order to get him out of their inquiring eyes. It wasn't that he had a lot to do there, but he kept awfully quiet nonetheless. So much that one board member seemed fixed on getting him to join the conversation by asking continuous questions. Whenever spoken to Kyungsoo appeared a bit startled and replied in a correct albeit extremely hesitant manner, lacking all the vigor his team members and even the board had learned to fear.
To Chanyeol's surprise Jongin liked to take over in situations like these, speaking up in this shy and cute manner Chanyeol just knew the board was in love with. In the meantime he tried to subtly position himself in a way that Kyungsoo wasn't as visible to them and could do nothing but pray that the shorter one wouldn't ultimately explode and go into his infamous fury-mode.
But it didn't happen. The idea was happily accepted, a further schedule briefly laid out and now they were back in their office.
It was almost too easy.
And a reasonable voice would now state that it was remarkable how well they worked together if only the stubborn Northener shut up for once. But Chanyeol wasn't exactly reasonable and in his opinion they were lacking a certain something without him.
No matter how much he wanted this team to success, he wouldn't want it to do so on the expense of one member. Even if he did disapprove of his aggressive ways. That's ultimately Kyungsoo's nature and it shouldn't be oppressed because of their work.
He watched Jongin as he shyly attempted to approach him once more - the poor boy was obviously torn, fidgeting on the spot and opening his mouth just to close it again.
If Kyungsoo had been able to see him he'd probably already scoff at him now but he didn't. Instead he locked gazes with Jongin who looked a little indignant at first, fighting an inner battle before losing it with a soundless sigh. He padded over to Chanyeol instead and offered the pieces of paper he had hidden behind his back all the time.
"Here." he curtly said, clearly reluctant to give them to him instead. Blinking dumbly he accepted what he assumed to be a ticket, not breaking their gazes as he tilted his head in question. From the corner of his eye he could see Kyungsoo watching them with half-hearted interest.
"Those are just... tickets." he stated vaguely, gesturing as if to downplay their importance. Chanyeol was confused. Was Jongin asking him out? Voluntarily? As a second choice but still.
"Tonight's a show and... you should go there.", he said, lowering his gaze, "-with Kyungsoo."
"Huh?"
"That is, if you want." Jongin quickly added, glancing over at the silent Northener who looked like he was fighting a battle on his own.
"I... I don't want to... Sorry." he finally mumbled with an averted gaze.
Did he just say sorry? It must have slipped him.
Do Kyungsoo just apologized for being anti-social.

"I understand. Sorry for bothering you..." Jongin dejectedly answered.
Chanyeol took the chance to properly read the tickets before coming to a decision.
He went over to Kyungsoo, placing both of the tickets on his desk. The miserable boy looked up at him in mild confusion.
"Let's go together Soo. I'm giving you both tickets so you really have to show up or else I won't get inside!"
It almost hurt him how passive he reacted.
"Don't call me Soo. Why would I care if you don't get in. It's your own fault." he blankly replied, shifting the tickets across the table and back at him.
"Kyungsoo." he earnestly said, waiting until the boy looked up at him.
His eyes were really red. And suspiciously wet, too.
"Please. Let's go there together. Okay?"
He knew that he was pressing his luck and also kind of used the amount of admiration Kyungsoo harbored for him which pricked him with guilt. But he was certain that this was a good idea and when Kyungsoo finally caved in, sighing a heavy 'Fine' into the room he was determined to make it all work out.

 

"Wah, the view is so nice!"
Chanyeol had been careful not to be late and as he sank into a plush chair next to Kyungsoo he couldn't help but be delighted at their seat's position, taking a quick snap with his phone camera. Kyungsoo didn't even scoff at him, too busy absently looking checking out the venue. It was a small yet very impressive theatre, looking as if it usually hosted operas. They were seated in the first row on the front balcony and the view was excellent.
The posters had told him that this was an event showcasing contemporary dance. It was definitely nothing he had ever seen before.
"I'm pretty excited, dancing is so awesome!"
He was well-aware that whatever he said would just get lost in the black hole that was Kyungsoo's presence but that didn't deter him. He had a certain suspicion that had to be confirmed and that's why they were here.
It was pretty late when it finally happened. Chanyeol had begun to relax into his seat, watching the various choreographies of different dancers, trying to pinpoint their individual styles while occasionally glancing over to Kyungsoo who looked as if he was in some sort of pain. As if it was taking all of his willpower to stay put together.
Chanyeol wanted to ask him what's wrong. But of course it wouldn't be of any use. Not even because he was big, dopey Chanyeol. He was pretty certain that Kyungsoo wouldn't tell any living soul what was on his mind right now.
So they sat in silence until the last quarter of the show when a new dancer stepped on the stage and Chanyeol tried not to squeal like a girl.
"There is he! I knew it!"
Even Kyungsoo seemed ripped out of his reverie, leaning a little closer over the balcony to get a look at the new addition.
It was Jongin, clearly. Clad in tight pants and a loose blouse fluttering with every move. Chanyeol couldn't even find the words to describe how much he was entranced by his performance. The way he moved couldn't be called anything but beautiful. Controlled grace, intense expression, an overwhelmingly captivating stage presence.
"That's Jongin...?" Kyungsoo faintly muttered under his breath, equally drawn in by the performance before wasting a split-second to look over at Chanyeol.
"How did you know...?"
Chanyeol shrugged as he took another few pictures before going back to experiencing the real thing.
"I just watched him. It's something about his stance. First I was thinking about martial arts but this makes more sense."
Kyungsoo got silent at this. Chanyeol couldn't be a hundred percent sure when it came to Kyungsoo but he was guessing that the boy felt guilty for underestimating Jongin. He had surely looked up all types of information that could be found on the net instead of looking at him properly for once. But again, that was just the way he was and this wasn't meant to make him feel bad, so Chanyeol spoke up once more, a little softer this time.
"I think it's nice of him to invite us to see this side of him. Pretty brave, too."
Kyungsoo only nodded faintly.
Jongin was the first to go out of his way and bare himself. Chanyeol had invited him over, yes, but this was different. More intimate.
He wasn't sure what kind of reaction he was expecting from Kyungsoo but him suddenly leaning into his side surely wasn't it. To be honest he even flinched slightly before hurrying to carefully put his arm on the narrow shoulder to assure him that it was alright. It had been an instinctive movement that he was having mixed feelings about now. Since this was still Kyungsoo. He didn't particularly like him. But feeling the way his overly stiff body relaxed into his ever so slowly he would never have the heart to reject him. Subtly looking down he observed the way the colorful spotlights were reflected in his shimmering eyes as he leaned his head into Chanyeol's shoulder. His gaze was empty as if he was watching right through the happenings on stage.
A little unsure of what was even going on he angled his arm to be able to rest securely on Kyungsoo's upper arm, pulling him towards him in a more firm manner.
The action was met with a sigh of contempt and Kyungsoo finally closed his eyes, whispering the faintest 'Thank you' he could only hear because his ear was so close to him.
Chanyeol watched the performance below while racking his brain for the right words to say. He could just stay silent but then he'd never know.
"Is there something we can help you with?" he finally asked lowly and instead of getting angry Kyungsoo only lightly shook his head, his eyes still closed.
"Just... don't move."
He complied without a word and it was obvious that Kyungsoo was having an internal battle of whether or not to add something to that. In response Chanyeol showed patience and only  after an especially stunning pirouette marking the end of Jongin's performance did he speak up once more.
"I was going to visit my friend this weekend." he murmured almost too quiet for Chanyeol to hear him, causing him to lean his head a little closer to him, looking ahead in concentration.
"Oh. Did the performance ruin it for you?" he asked in concern but only received another shake of his head in response.
"No. He had... a genetic illness. Ever since birth. It... Yesterday it caught up to him."
Chanyeol held his breath, not wanting to understand what this meant.
Kyungsoo closed his eyes again.
"He always wanted to stand on a stage-" he added even more quietly, not able to prevent his voice from breaking.
Speechless, Chanyeol tightened his hold a bit more, leaning his cheek against the mop of black hair. A few moments later he offered his free hand to Kyungsoo who decided to grasp it with his own pale, shaky fingers to squeeze the life out of it. Chanyeol didn't mention it.
They only got up when the cleaning lady was shooing them out of the vicinity.

 

Much later Chanyeol fell face first into his mattress, lowly whining. He was feeling extremely down now even though he was relieved that Kyungsoo had opened up about it. He couldn't imagine the difficult boy to have any friends in this foreign city.
Friends. Chanyeol had no difficulty labeling people as friends and he wondered whether Jongin and Kyungsoo would consider him a friend.
The sound of his phone vibrating ripped him out of these thoughts and he quickly turned it to see whether it was an important message by one of his team members.
It was a different message, sent by an anonymous number.

00:12
The conditions have changed.
100.000.

Sighing dejectedly he threw the phone under the bed, deciding to curl into a ball beneath his plush blanket. Pulling his limbs together as tight as possible, trying to drown out the tension in his body with more tension.
He really wished Baekhyun was here. Baekhyun always knew what to do.
But Baekhyun was far away and busy. To be honest Chanyeol only wanted someone to hold him, too. Even if it was someone like Jongin who didn't like him. Or someone like Kyungsoo who hated skinship.
Just anyone. Anyone I can trust, please?

Obviously his pleas remained unanswered and with a bitter smile he closed his eyes, waiting for sleep to arrive and carry him into another day.

 


When did this turn so angsty? I don't knoooow!
But don't worry, I'm a Happy End type of girl! c:

Important information:
I recently made the big decision to sign up for the Exordium challenge, which is going to be very time-consuming.
I'm telling you this since it's most certainly gonna affect the time I have for this fic. But rest assured, I'll give my best and most certainly won't abandon it in any way!
After all, ot3-stories are drawing me in way too much c:

As always, thanks for any kind of feedback~
Love,
Sugar-and-Salt