You, I get

Three Types Of Fear



It was Tuesday and Chanyeol had yet to make an appearance. The atmosphere in their office was glum, and though Kyungsoo did get some work done, his mind was distracted. His eyes would flit to the clock above their door, his fingers would absently check his phone for new messages. Of course he had contacted him. When Chanyeol hadn't shown up on Monday, Kyungsoo had first texted him, assuming the ditsy boy had finally overslept for good. Chanyeol stated he was sick.
Kyungsoo immediately offered to come over after work.
He told him that no, he'd rather not, but really, thank you. That it was no big deal.
Kyungsoo could hardly force him, so he feigned more patience than he had, assuring him that it was fine, and that he should get some rest.
Now it was already Tuesday though, and well past noon.
Sure, Kyungsoo
would be patient. If only he knew what exactly was going on. He tried not to exhale too loudly, to not make it sound like a sigh, tapping his pen against the stack of bills he was working on. Tap, tap, just like he'd used to, in the way he knew agitated Chanyeol. Would it now annoy Jongin, instead? Kyungsoo wouldn't know, because the Eastener was perfectly quiet, save for the occasional clicks on his keyboard and rustling sounds of paper. The silence was thick and for once, Kyungsoo didn't enjoy it.
Maybe the mood wouldn't be this strained, if Chanyeol wouldn't have gone missing in action just after that concert on Sunday. The concert he'd attended with Jongin. Kyungsoo had been planning on waiting to hear about it from Chanyeol in person, he really had.
But...
"Hey."
He tried to keep his voice neutral, and even before he turned, he heard the typing cease. Jongin was looking at him questioningly over his monitor, but there was also misery swimming in his eyes. Right, Jongin had been looking even more miserable than usual today. Kyungsoo had given him the benefit of doubt, since maybe Jongin was just missing Chanyeol and their banter. Maybe all of this was a coincidence and Jongin was squirming at the idea of being alone with Kyungsoo. But something about the look he was giving him right now reinforced his suspicions. Was it guilt?
"Did anything happen between you and Chanyeol on Sunday?" he asked, straight-forward and yet as non-threatening as possible. Chanyeol was always nagging him to be 'more gentle' with the elusive boy. Kyungsoo was generally willing to humor him, and he had begun to think that maybe there could even be some odd form of colleague-ship between them - but if Jongin had somehow hurt Chanyeol, he surely wouldn't let him off easily.
Jongin didn't avert his gaze, didn't show any physical sign a liar would.
"No."
But the silence had stretched on for an unnatural amount of three seconds. Kyungsoo had never been able to pinpoint what was going on in Jongin's mind, and without Chanyeol's constant reminder, he would still be tending towards the answer 'nothing'.
...alright, this wasn't true. He'd gotten odd little glimpses at Jongin's actual personality before, and considering them and especially the 180 degree turn he made when interacting with Chanyeol, Jongin might actually be one hell of a liar. After all, he was putting up a sweet and naive front to everyone who wasn't the Southener, which was not too different from lying. Why anyone would weave themselves into a net of so many lies was beyond him. So at this point, Kyungsoo was mainly very damn confused about Kim Jongin. And unwilling to play games.
"Don't play coy with me. I'm not an idiot." he snapped, and Jongin actually flinched, though it looked less like shy, flighty Jongin being intimidated and more like actual pain.
"What went on between you two?" he repeated his question, and for a second, Jongin closed his eyes, as if summoning the will to keep his composure. It was a rare gesture for Jongin, but a rather common gesture for either agitated or miserable people who were about to break down. Kyungsoo certainly did, without warning.
"Don't even think of giving me another lie right now!" he hissed, slamming his palm on the table. Jongin jumped at the sound, looking mildly scared, and this still didn't feel right, and Kyungsoo wanted to scream.
"
Just get real for once, goddammit!" he yelled, getting to his feet, glaring Jongin down from his position. Emotions flit over the others face, quickly hushing over his wide orbs, not reaching his lips. Kyungsoo didn't get them. Jongin kept staring at him.
With a frustrated groan and hearty curse, Kyungsoo grabbed his phone and jacket, rushing out of the office. Getting out of there before he might actually try to punch this guy.



He'd walked a good five minutes, but the cool autumn air didn't do anything to calm him down. Because Kyungsoo wasn't driven by impulsive anger. That is, he might get angry very quickly in certain situations, but never without a reason. And he wouldn't just cool off in time. No, only a solution to his problem would actually fix his emotional state, too.
He came to a halt, slightly wet leaves making dissatisfying sloshy noises beneath his shoes. Not paying them any heed, Kyungsoo lifted his gaze to the rather showy apartment complex, that really looked more like a modern hotel with all the glass twinkling in the lazy afternoon sun. From this point he didn't have to raise his head too high. From this point, he knew Chanyeol could see him, should he choose to look outside his ridiculously high window. He'd see a tiny red blotch at the seam of the nearby park, too vibrant to be a fallen leaf. He dialed his number and pressed the phone against his ear, careful not to touch himself with his icy fingers. It rang thrice, before Chanyeol accepted the call.
"Hello?" he asked, sounding hesitant but not necessarily sick, and Kyungsoo tried not to think about the thing he had for his voice, especially when it filled him over the speakers, where Chanyeol's general goofiness had no chance to ruin the moment.
"Hey." he replied simply, and for a few seconds, neither said a word.
Suddenly, Kyungsoo didn't want to say any of what he'd planned. Suddenly, just the fact alone that they were on the phone felt like they were connected at least somehow. As if this alone was already good enough. God, he was such a goner for this guy.
He his lips, mindlessly staring up at the general area he assumed Chanyeol's apartment to be in. There were many things he could say now.
"When will you come back?" he ultimately asked.

I'm confused, worried, and I'm missing you, he thought. But he'd promised Chanyeol to do more than this, and he was determined to do this right.
"I want us to hug, and to fall asleep like that." he added, a little clumsy as he tried to put his exact feelings into words.
"I'll only let go when you regained your trust in me," he announced, no,
promised, staring at the row of glass windows, as if Chanyeol was looking at him right now, "so if it takes days, you better be prepared."
"I am trusting you!" came the immediate reply, and he could all but see Chanyeol desperately gesturing with his hands.
"Really. I really, truly trust you. Please try to believe me?"
His voice sounded so genuine, and Kyungsoo huffed out a laugh at the irony.
"Great, you're cheating. If I protest now, it would be me who lacks trust, huh?"
Chanyeol whined at this, though it lacked the usual amount of drama and fun. It was more of a wince.
"No, I wasn't- look, I just needed some time. And... maybe I'm a coward, too. No, I
know I'm a coward. But never was I planning on shutting you out. I'll tell you everything. Promise."
"Then come down here, Rapunzel." Kyungsoo said, and it actually got him a quick, breathy laugh.
"Okay," he mumbled after a while, as if making up his mind right now, "Okay. I will. I kinda look like right now, but yeah. I'll join you later at the office."
"Dolling yourself up for me?" Kyungsoo asked lightly, but he was unable to keep the concern out of his voice, "we don't have to meet up at the office. We can go anywhere."
"I'll just snatch you away from your precious work, and then we can go and get something to eat, how does that sound?" Chanyeol asked, and it was nice to hear a trace of the familiar lightheartedness seeping back into him. Kyungsoo smiled, and turned around to return to the office.
"Deal. I'll try to get your work done until then. Oh, and Chanyeol-" he said, stopping in his tracks. The other hummed in question, and Kyungsoo drew a deep breath.
"Don't stress yourself too much. If you tell me to wait, I will. As long as you give me a sign, I can calmly take it. Just don't leave me hanging, okay?" he ended, sounding more insecure than he intended to. Because true commitment really was this scary, and a minor incident like this was already swaying him more than it should.
"I'm sorry, Soo. I won't do it again. Thanks."
"I'm taking apologies in pizza slices."
"I'll make sure you won't want me to apologize again for the next year or so, then."
Kyungsoo smiled, and the world felt remotely alright again.

 



He tried not to exude too much happiness when he returned to the office, since he was still pissed at Jongin, and there was no reason to make him believe a little walk in the park would make his overall fake-ness alright. Fine, he did feel a tiny bit of guilt over his outburst, but only because at the end of the day, he should have silently waited for Chanyeol to approach him. He should've just ignored Jongin, but impatience had gotten the better of him. Well, now it was decisively easier to leave the boy be, as Kyungsoo attacked his work with newly-found vigor. He didn't even hear the other typing anymore; Jongin had probably given in to laziness. Whatever, Kyungsoo wasn't in the mood to fight him any more.
Minutes ticked by, and even though Kyungsoo was highly anticipating finally seeing Chanyeol, work finally managed to stop him from counting the minutes.
"What would you do..." a voice suddenly spoke up, ripping Kyungsoo out of his work-induced stupor. It was so obviously Jongin, and yet it didn't
sound like Jongin. It was too pensive, too void of the usual hesitance, shyness, or even temperament he used to talk to Chanyeol. He looked over his shoulder to see the other absently playing with a fountain pen, eyes observing it with a calm fixation he rarely showed.
"...if I told you I'm into Chanyeol?" he asked, almost casually.

Don't take him from me, Kyungsoo thought before he could help it.
You're too late!
He's with me now.

Kyungsoo blinked.
"Excuse me?" he ultimately asked purposefully slowly, turning completely in his chair to face the other. Seeing his movement, Jongin's eyes flit up to meet his. He'd never seen him so damn
calm.
"You wanted to know what happened on Sunday? I confessed to him. Are you going to punch me now?" he asked with something akin to mild interest.

Yes, his thoughts instantly yelled. But Kyungsoo stayed put, frozen in his seat. This didn't make sense.
"What are you saying? You hated Chanyeol." he stated, suppressing the instinctive wave of anger. Because Kyungsoo was a person of reason. This situation was odd and uncertain, and Kyungsoo could only really let his anger out if the target was clear.
Jongin had the nerve to shrug.
"So? He used to hate you, too."
Kyungsoo didn't know what to say to this. Not only because it was true, but because he knew Chanyeol also liked Jongin. Had liked him all along, and still did, to whatever extend, like him
right now.
Numb fingers clawed into his own thighs, gripping at the rough jeans fabric. Things were slipping his control. He was losing Chanyeol. But no, he had to have faith, he told himself.
It had worked before.
Just have faith in Chanyeol. He wouldn't hurt me on purpose.
Meanwhile Jongin was gauging his reaction, a shadow of conflict ghosting over his features.
"And I liked
you first, you know?"
"Me?" Kyungsoo asked, voice actually cracking in disbelief. His face was heating up at the confession without his consent, and he hated it.
Jongin liked him? Since when? Was he just the type to be reserved towards someone he liked? He hadn't even realized Jongin was swinging this way.
But all this was slipping into the background, as his anger was fighting to surface. For all this time, Jongin had silently pined after him, just to switch to Chanyeol, presumably because the Southener had been so nice to him? What was his intention of coming forth now? Did he want to stand between them, was he announcing that he'd fight for Chanyeol? Kyungsoo took a deep breath.

Don't. Don't start yelling just yet.
"Why are you telling me this?" he asked, voice exuding a tension so thick that Kyungsoo himself didn't dare making a move, realizing just how close he was to truly making a scene.
Jongin just stared at him, wetting his lips almost absently, fingers still twirling the pen in his hand.
"Because I couldn't keep it to myself any longer." he began, eyes breaking contact for just a second before meeting his again.
"And also to tell you that I'm not planning to act on it."
Kyungsoo must have looked confused, despite everything, because Jongin visibly swallowed and elaborated.
"I will not try to get closer to any of you, because I literally can't."
Kyungsoo imagined hearing the tiniest sound and looked towards the door. It was slightly ajar, but he remembered all-too well how he himself had stood there once, watching Chanyeol and Jongin hug. Continuously worrying about the traitorous shadows on the ground-
"Chanyeol."
His voice was strict and much more certain than he himself felt. Jongin stared at him with wide eyes, but Kyungsoo's gaze was fixated on the cheap carpet.
"Park Chanyeol, I know you're standing there. I believe this concerns you, too, so feel free to join us."
He saw Jongin's eyes flit between him and the door, and a quiet creaking sound told him that the other was entering from his vantage point. For some reason, Kyungsoo didn't dare look at him. Was he afraid of the emotion he'd see on his features?
"How long have you been standing there?" Jongin asked, no, demanded, and Kyungsoo felt the other shuffle around and pull out a chair to have a seat next to him. At least he chose him right now, huh?
He stealthily watched the other, took in the sight of his familiar, not too worn-out hoodie, let his eyes roam over his thighs to the hands clasped tightly in his lap. The mere presence beside him was filling a space he hadn't realized was there, and the faint scent of his cologne was grounding. Chanyeol was here, seeking his proximity. He just had to hope the other wasn't driven by guilt.
"How long?!" Jongin repeated, sounding almost panicked, and Chanyeol flinched visibly.
"Long enough," he began, voice all shaky and uncharacteristically weak, "I-I think I got the gist."
His whole posture seemed stiff, and had the whole confession done this to him? Was it pure stress and pressure making him sick? Because he hadn't sounded simply scared, but genuinely
sick, and seeing him like this confirmed his suspicion. It wouldn't be a strange thought, since Chanyeol was always all-too eager to make things right, and to function properly, to be a perpetually turning clog in the complex arrangement that were social relationships, never to stutter and hinder others. It had taken him a lot to open up to Kyungsoo, but now he was experiencing pressure from two opposing sites he was actually emotionally invested in. Maybe Kyungsoo should feel alarmed over the fact that Chanyeol was this unwilling to let Jongin go, but he wasn't. He was also unwilling to let Kyungsoo go, and that meant all hope wasn't lost just yet.
"I. I think I also finally get it. The problem, I get you-" Chanyeol all but stammered, forcing Kyungsoo to split his attention and acknowledge Jongin's presence in the room. The latter had gone awfully pale.
"You're aual, aren't you?"

Just like this, the perpetually twirling pen slipped his fingers and hit the desk.


 





Finallyyyy...!
I've been seriously looking forward to this moment, so that's why I'm updating so quickly lately.
I bet most of you have seen it coming by now, haven't you? With all the hints Jongin dropped throughout the last chapters...
let me know whether you were surprised or not~

Love,
Sugar-and-Salt


P.S.: it's up to you how to interpret the title of this chapter - whether you'll think of 'get' as an acronym for understanding or receiving/being gifted with.