Chapter 11

Your Boyfriend, Best Friend or First Love?

 

“Finally!” you pumped your fist into the air. “I’m finished with all my work~” You put all your things aside and organized your bag. After you finished, you relaxed on the sofa and reached for the TV Remote. The moment you were about to switched your TV on, your cellphone rang.

Abruptly, you set the remote aside and ran to answer your phone before you missed the call. “Uh… yeoboseyo?” you answered.

“~~~~~~~-ah!” you heard Myungsoo voice from the other end of the line.

“Yeah?”

“I have a surprise for you!!” 

You chuckled, “A surprise eh?” you placed your freehand over your hip. “Really know?”

“Yeah,” Myungsoo laughed. “It’s in front your apartment door!” He exclaimed the moment you heard your doorbell ring, ding dong.

“Arasso,” you giggled. “I’ll open the door.”

“Okay,” he hung up. 

Immediately after the call, you headed to the door and turned the door knob open. Your eyes rounded in excitement.

“Surprise!” Myungsoo, Sunggyu, and Sungjong chorused.

“Omo!” You cupped a hand over your mouth. “Sunggyu oppa! Sungjonggie! I missed you guys!”  

“We missed you too,” Sunggyu ruffled your hair.

Sunjong nodded, “Ah… I miss you ~~~~~~~-noona!” He threw his arms around you. You hugged him back.

After you two pulled away from the hug, Myungsoo casually greeted you,” Hey,” and then he gently pinched your cheeks.

“You brought them here?” you asked him. 

“They wanted to see you,” he nodded. “I mean, the four of us are best friends. What else would you expect?! State the obvious!” he chuckled.

“Yes ~~~~~~~, state the obvious.” Sunggyu smirked as he glanced at Myungsoo. “Like for example, state the obvious fact that Myungsoo has been inlo—“

Before Myungsoo’s secret would spill, he abruptly cupped his hand over Sunggyu’s mouth. “Shut up,” he said through gritted teeth.

Sungjong laughed at his hyungs then leaned closer to your side.

“~~~~~~~-noona,” he ‘whispered’, ”Do you know that Myungsoo likes…“

“YOU!!” Sunggyu finished as he finally struggled free from Myungsoo. 

Myungsoo furiously turned red. “Ya! Hyung!!” He glared.

You laughed at the three of them.

“Dude,” you lightly patted Myungsoo’s shoulder. “Relax, alright? I know they’re just messing with you. It’s just joke time anyways, right?” You grinned. “No need to get yourself all worked up.”

 “Yeah Myungsoo,” Sunggyu patted his shoulder. “We’re just joking.”

Sunggyu and Sungjong chortled.

“Yeah hyung, don’t worry. It’s not like it’s true that you’re in love with her,” Sungjong teased.

You shook your head, “Okay okay, enough with the teasing.” You said. “Aren’t any of you guys going to enter my apartment?” you laughed.

 

**

“You guys stay seated here while I go get us four lemonades, yeah?” you said. They nodded.

While you were gone the three guys had their boy talk.

“I see you still haven’t told her,” Sunggyu whispered as he nodded your way.

“I know right,” Myungsoo face-palmed. “I’m really not yet ready to risk our friendship. I’ll tell her when the times…right.”

 

“Psh,” Sungjong butted in. “When’s the right time hyung? You’ve been in love with her since—“

“Shh!” Myungsoo interrupted. “…She might hear you.”

“Oops,” Sungjong cupped his hand over his mouth. “Mianhaeyo…”

Sunggyu shook his head. “Anyways,” he said. “Confess before she gets snatched away by another jerk, alright? I didn’t like hearing what happened with her and Chunji over the phone.”

 “You’re right,” he nodded. “I won’t just let another two-timer hurt her.”

“But,” he added. “How sure am I that I won’t get rejected? What if awkwardness will come between us…” he muttered under his breath.

“But,” Sunggyu said. “What if it’s the other way around?”

Before the boys can continue their boy talk, you finally finished making the refreshments. You went back to them carrying a tray with four lemonades.

Sunggyu nodded at you, and Myungsoo glanced over his shoulder.

“Oh!” he exclaimed. “You’re done. Let me help you.”

You bit your lip, “Erm…okay.”

Myungsoo took two of the drinks from the tray and placed it on the coffee table. He did the same with the two lemonades left. He glanced at the empty tray. “I’ll carry it back to the kitchen counter.”

“It’s fine—“ you said, but Myungsoo already took the tray from you. “Uhm, Thank you…” you flushed. Sungjong and Sunggyu exchanged looks and grinned at what they witnessed.

The two of them whispered about you and Myungsoo, but you didn’t really mind. You were pretty sure that they were still teasing the both of you. You just shrugged and sat on an empty couch.

Once Myungsoo returned, you made space for him to sit down. The both of you sat beside each other.

“So,” you blurted. “Do four of us have similar schedules? You two enrolled in Woollim University too, right?”

“Neh,” Sungjong nodded. “I have three similar schedules with you and Myungsoo-hyung,” he teased by emphasizing the words: you and Myungsoo.

Myungsoo glared menacingly at his dongsaeng, but Sungjong just chortled at his hyung’s priceless reaction.

Being naïve, you didn’t notice the two and just turned to Sunggyu. “How about you oppa?”

“Only one class,” he frowned.

“Aw,” your shoulders deflated.

“It’s alright,” Sunggyu sat up straight. “You and Myungsoo are almost alwaystogether anyways, right?” he grinned.

“Yes!” Sungjong nodded. “Like for example, right now.”

The both of them laughed and shared a high-5. 

You pondered at what the both of them said and realized that they were…right. You and Myungsoo were always together. Even right now. He was there through it all, since past to present. On weekdays, you two are together in school. On weekends, the two of you go out and hang out together. When the two of you don’t end up seeing each other—which was super rare—the both of you call or text each other. You couldn’t believe that it was only now that you have realized how much time you spend with Myungsoo. I mean, even though you and Chunji were still dating, you were still around Myungsoo more! Sometimes, people even mistaken Chunji as the third-wheel and Myungsoo as your real boyfriend!

Sunggyu and Sungjong is right. No matter when or where, you two are inseparable. All memories of the both of you flashed into your mind and it was then, at that time, that you’ve realized how Myungsoo is literally always there for you.

You couldn’t imagine a day, and your life…without him.

With all these thoughts whirling in your head, you glanced at Myungsoo and ended up meeting eyes with him. The both of you furiously blushed.

“Omo!” Sungjong’s eyes rounded. “Noona’s blushing!” he cooed.

“Ani,” Sunggyu shook his head. “The both of them are blushing!” They chuckled.

“I’m not blushing!” You and Myungsoo denied simultaneously. The both of you paused at the sudden denial and turned to face each other. Immediately, the both of you blushed more and you two eventually looked away to hide your beet-red faces.

“Ah~” Sungjong squealed. “This is too cute! We should’ve recorded this!”

**

For the past hours, Sungjong, You, Myungsoo, and Sunggyu spent time together by reminiscing and blurting out recent happenings. Also, Sungjong and Sunggyu couldn’t get enough of you and Myungsoo so they made a bet that you two would definitely end up together in the near future!

The room was filled with smiles, however, after the fun day and colorful conversations, your friends had to leave one by one.

First Sungjong.

Next Sunggyu.

And finally, Myungsoo.

He casually checked his watch and frowned, “I have to…go,” he reluctantly stood up. “It’s late.”

“Oh,” you forced a smile. “Alright,” you escorted him to the front door. You turned the door know opened and bit your lip, “…bye. Good night.”

“Good night,” he beamed at you and casually ruffled your hair.

Before he could completely turn his back on you, you grabbed his arm. “Myungsoo-ah…” you blurted.

“Yeah?” he fixed his gaze on you, and you found yourself lost in his eyes.

“I-I just realized…” you mumbled. “I never asked you one thing…”

He lightly chuckled, “Really, now?” He crossed his arms. You nodded.

“You can ask me now…if you want to,” he blurted.

You nodded and took a deep breath, “Uhm…W-who do you…like?” you blurted.

 

Myungsoo blinked in bewilderment.

It was true. You have never asked him that before. In fact, you didn’t even know who Myungsoo liked, nor did you have any idea. You were completely naïve. It was only now that you’ve asked, and it was only now that you’ve actually pondered about it. Maybe it was because of Sunggyu and Sungjong teasing you two that’s why you suddenly grew further curious about the idea.

The two of you locked eyes and your heart raced in anticipation.

“I—I can’t tell you. At least…not now,” he stuttered.

The way he was looking at you was different. It was as if you had him mesmerized.

Awkward silence dominated the atmosphere and it took you only a matter of seconds to realize how beet-red your face was. Abruptly, you looked away.

“Oh,” you managed. “T-that’s all I wanted to ask.” You sheepishly chuckled. “Hahaha! b-bye Myungsoo-ah!”

“Bye…” he mumbled. “Good night ~~~~~~~-ah…”

You nodded and immediately shut the door. You peeked through the peephole of your door, and after seeing that he finally went away, you leaned against the wall.

You sighed and cupped your hands over your warm cheeks then placed a hand over your racing heart.

 “Myungsoo-ah,” you whispered. “Am I…f-falling for you?”