Kim Taeyeon

Walking Together

Now pitch black outside, Hyun Joong was now much colder without his outerwear. He walked quickly through the dark path that was lit by soft light on the other side of the trees.

Hyun Joong checked his phone for the time, but was blinded by the overpowering brightness. Squinting his eyes he could see that he had been out for over 2 hours, much longer than he intended to. 

When he arrived home he was encountered by his mother who had been waiting for him to come home. "Where have you been?" His mother's voice not as intimidating as he imagined. "I was out for a walk, was gone for longer than I thought I'd be. Didn't check the time really." Hyun Joong explained himself thoroughly and continued towards his room. "There's food in the oven if you're hungry." Hyun Joong's mother had a way of knowing when to worry and when to not make things into problems. Hyun Joong was thankful that his mother trusted him so much.

Sliding through the curtains and entering his room, Hyun Joong ped his thin hoodie and threw it into the corner where his backpack lay. He slid onto his bed and shoved his face into his blanket, he nearly fell asleep until he remembered he had homework to do.

Homework was a common thing, although he didn't take too much time on it he felt lazy. He completed his homework with questions left blank, whenever he had problems he didn't understand he never tried harder to understand them. He just gave up and went back to bed.

"Don't you think you should eat? I can tell you're getting skinnier lately." Hyun Joong rolled over, "Heh, Jessica said that today as well. I thought it was just her imagination." Hyun Joong's older brother stood at the entrance to Hyun Joong's bedroom. "Nah man, You're face has gotten skinnier, is there anything you want to tell me?" When it came to Hyun Joong's older brother there was always something to talk about, Hyun Joong could open up to his brother about anything.

"No, just tired I guess", Hyun Joong turned back over and plugged his headphones in, giving the sign to his brother to leave.

Hyun Joong woke up again for school. His hair messy and unmanagable he decided to take a extra long shower, because when life gets boring everything seems to go so much slower. Before he left, he opened his closet and picked out a different coat since he had given his other one away.

Hyun Joong walked to school, seeming as it was only about half a mile away. He would meet up with his friend Donghae everyday on the way to school. They had been neighborhood friends ever since Hyun Joong had arrived in the neighborhood.

"Haven't seen you wear that coat in ages", Donghae noticing the weirdest things as always. "I gave my other one away last night, don't even know why." Hyun Joong reconsidering his actions.

"To who? A hobo?", Donghae glanced at the taller friend. "A girl." There goes Hyun Joong's bluntness again. "A girl?! Who?" Donghae surprised Hyun Joong even decided to interact with someone random. "Dunno, never seen her in town before."

The two waited at a stop light, "So you gave your jacket to a girl whose name you don't even know?!" Donghae was even more surprised. "Yupp, she seemed cold so I thought I'd help her out."

"You're a weird guy you know that?", Donghae teased as they arrived. As they entered the school there were teachers checking students to see if they were wearing their uniforms properly. Hyun Joong noticed he had misplaced his name tag. 

He became flustered and felt around at his torso and searched his pockets until he remembered he had taken it off and left it in the other jacket's pocket. "." Hyun Joong usually not in the mood to get smacked in the head.

"What?", Donghae looked at Hyun Joong curiously. "I don't have my name tag."

"Oh, you're screwed.", Donghae gave Hyun Joong a little smile.

"Hey you two! Come over here!", one of the teachers yelled over at Hyun Joong and Donghae.Both looked at the teacher,  Donghae walked towards him but Hyun Joong sprinted away. "Where's your buddy going?", the teacher watching Hyun Joong dissappear in the distance.

"Uhhhh, he went to go take a ?", Donghae laughed as he watched Hyun Joong as well. When he turned to look at the teacher he was slapped on the side of the head. "Ah! What the hell was the for?!"

"Watch your language boy!", the teacher's pointer finger in Donghae's face. "Ah, sorry sorry" Donghae rubbed his head and bowed ninety degrees and left as well.

Donghae and Hyun Joong meeted up during lunch as always and sat with some other kids in their class. "Why does the school lunch always taste so weird?!", Donghae smelling his food. "I'll eat it if you don't want it", Hyun Joong eating his lunch contently. "Hell no, I'm hungry too!", Donghae began eating much more enthusiastically. "Alright alright, I get it. Slow down before you choke."

Loud coughing noises came from Donghae as he pounded his chest. Able to swallow Donghae took a deep breath of relief. "Told you."

Hyun Joong finished his lunch before everyone else and decided to walk around, to stretch his legs. He yawned and walked past younger and older students, all who seemed to busy to notice the girl. Hyun Joong who was never too busy noticed her, he glanced at her and didn't think much of her. He continued until someone called his name.

*Hyun Joong Narration*

I walked the hallways after I ate, to stretch my legs a little. The hallways were as loud and crowded as ever, I was so zoned out I couldn't even tell what was infront of me.

That is until I saw a girl, who was decently short. I took a short look, but I quickly looked back in the direction I had looked previously. After walking about ten more feet I heard a woman call my name from behind me.

"Kim Hyun Joong ssi?"

That voice, where have I heard that voice? I stopped slowly, turning back. I saw her. It was the girl from the bridge, she was standing infront of me dressed in the school's uniform.

*End Narration*

"Y-you!", Hyun Joong squinted his eyes in disbelief. "How do you know my name?"

The girl approached Hyun Joong to make the conversation more casual, "You left your name tag in your jacket. Which I still have to give back."

"I already told you it's fine, I don't need it", Hyun Joong denied. "Well heres your name tag, I'm sure it would have been hard to come to school without it." The girl smiled and handed the pin to Hyun Joong.

"What're you doing here?", Hyun Joong asked. "Eating lunch, of course."

Hyun Joong looked at where she had been sitting, there was food on the edge next to the window. "Alone? Why don't you go sit with your friends or something?"

"Well... I just moved here, and I don't really have anyone to sit with. I thought it'd be less embarressing to eat here rather than at a table alone." The girl shrugged an smiled lightly.

"No wonder I've never seen you around." Hyun Joong raised his hand, requesting for a handshake. The girl reached her hand out as well, and gently slid her hand into his grasp and shook up and down. "I'm Kim Hyun Joong."

The girl looked at Hyun Joong shyly and looked back at his feet. "Hello, my name is Kim Taeyeon." Letting go of Hyun Joong's hand Taeyeon bowed politely. Surprised Hyun Joong bowed awkwardly back. "Theres no need to be so polite, makes things awkward."

Taeyeon smiled brightly and went back to eating her lunch. Hyun Joong sat next to her. "You know it's not that hard to make friends. When I first moved here I was shy as well but now that I look back, it was silly."

"It's kind of hard since I'm a junior most of my classmates already have groups they hangout with." Taeyeon said taking a sip of water.

"Well I'm a classmate of yours then, you've made your first friend I guess!", Hyun Joong smile shined brighter than it had for years. 

The bell rang and the two went seperate ways. Hyun Joong met up with Seung Gi, while Taeyeon went to class alone. With nobody really noticing her.

*Hyun Joong Narration*

Who am I kidding.... Who am I to say making friends is easy.

*End Narration*