Walking Alone

Walking Together

"Settle down, settle down!", Hyun Joong's teacher continued until it was absolutely quiet, with periodic little awkward whispers that came through his ears.

"Okay so today we're learning about diet, and the different types of fat. It's up to you to take your own notes." High school made notes optional, Hyun Joong used to take notes for every class. Now a days he can't get himself to do it even when he's sure he'll need them. Through out class his mind drifted, so did his patience.

After class Hyun Joong had class with Seung Gi, they both happened to take art class. "Hey, hey Hyun Joong! Knock Knock", Seung Gi said jokingly. "What's up?", Hyun Joong asked bluntly, denying Seung Gi's knock knock joke and still walking to class at a decently fast pace. Seung Gi's eyebrows squished together, his eyes squinted slighty, "."

Hyun Joong ignored Seung Gi's joking insult and continued to open his sketchbook to do the daily sketch. Hyun Joong usually spent the hour slacking off, taking most of the class time to draw one picture. The two sat side to side both in their own little world. Headphones in. No such conversation was spoken until the very end, for being good friends it was hard for them to talk consistently.

Through out the school day, Hyun Joong attended a total of seven classes, no particular one he looked forward to, nor did he complain. He just went with it.

At the end of each day, he came home exhausted and brain dead, he was the middle child of three and lived with his parents. Due to his grandparents living with them, Hyun Joong was forced to sleep on the main floor where he seperated his room with curtains. He didn't mind too much because he wanted his own room, and if it meant getting away from his little brother as much as possible, it was a pleasure.

*Hyun Joong Narration*

Each day I come home, and lay in bed until it's either time to eat or to use the rest room. My school life may be decent enough, but at home I don't feel anything. I avoid my family because.... I want to be alone, not that I hate them, I love them all.

Theres something about me that likes being alone, being isolated from everyone. I don't want to deal with problems, or people.

As of now, I have no regular hobbies, I just lay in bed all day. At times when I feel the house has gotten stuffy I leave. I go for walks alone at night and enjoy the weather.

With nobody, no worries, no words. I don't really know how much longer I can live like this. My mood and emotions have become numb, I don't get too angry, sad or happy as often as I used to. Life has gotten boring.

*End Narration*

The date is November 30th, 2011. Wednesday. Hyun Joong woke up as usual, showered as usual and got dressed as usual. Left for school at 7:35 AM as usual, and arrived at school, as usual.

"Have you gotten skinnier lately?", A girly voice awoke Hyun Joong's attention. He glanced at the direction of which it came, it was Jessica. A friend he had made when he first arrived from a different city. "Just your imagination."

Jessica sat next to Hyun Joong on one of the couches their school provided them. "So what's new? It's been awhile since we last chatted." Jessica pulled her backpack off and set it aside, gently adjusting her bangs out of her eyes.

"To be honest nothing, nothing at all.", Hyun Joong remained as unemotional as ever. "How about you? You seem like in a good mood."

Jessica gave Hyun Joong an annoyed looked, "I'm doing fine, but really, you look pale, are you sure you're not sick?" Jessica placed the back of her hand onto Hyun Joong's forehead. "You don't seem to have a fever."

"I haven't been getting much sleep lately, thinking too much I guess." Hyun Joong stood up and slipped his arms one at a time through his jacket. "I better get going, I'll talk to you later."

"Oh, yeah I guess so", Jessica smiled awkwardly, and stood up also. The two looked at each other, smiled, and embraced for a moment as the said goodbye.

Hyun Joong left first, quiet and quick as usual. "Ah~ that guy, still as stoic as ever." Jessica scratched her head slightly, and left soon after.

Before it turned completely dark that night, Hyun Joong left home to go for a walk. As he previously was annoyed by his little brother and older brother's bickering. The air was cold as he ingested air deeply. Today he walked to the city, hoping he'd find something to get his mind off of things.

*Hyun Joong Narration*

Today felt colder than yesterday, I can see my breath more and my face was freezing. I ignored the weather and continued on a pathway that lead to a bridge near the city. It's one of the places I walk to regularly. On my way there I passed many people varying in ages, I also even saw many couples holding hands and laughing.

I've never really had a girlfriend before, only time I had was when my friends set me up with a girl, who I must admit was attractive. Although I had no feelings for her, I thought I'd just go with it. I broke up with her a week later.

As I arrived the sky was getting darker, the air still getting colder. I could tell my nose was flushed pink, my ears warm, shielded by my hair.

I was usually the only one who stopped and stood on this bridge, everyone either walks across or drives across.

Trying to stay as warm as possible, I looked at the semi-frozen water with a blank mind, unable to actually daydream or think.

At that time I was surprised by a sudden sneeze. I looked to my left and about twenty feet over there was a short petite girl, she wasn't wearing anything warm and she was noticably shivering.

I turned over to take a closer look, although she had been sniffling, to keep the mucus from her nose from dripping she had a simple innocent pretty look to her.

In the cold winter, her eyes shimmered and her nose was bright red. To be honest she was one of the prettiest girls I had ever seen.

*End Narration*

Hyun Joong walked up to the mysteriously pretty girl, "Uhh Hi!" The girl seemed surprise as she turned to look at Hyun Joong. "Hello...?" The girl unsure what was going to happen.

"Aren't you cold?", Hyun Joong's voice was more gentler than usual. "I-I'm fine", The girl's voice seemed much more mature than Hyun Joong expected.

Hyun Joong studied the frail girl and laughed slightly, "Well, It's going to be dark soon, it's colder when it's dark and since we're near water you won't last in the clothes you're in."

The girl looked up, as Hyun Joong was much taller than her, her eyes sparkled. "I-I'm fine! Please mind your own business.", Her voice shivering as much as her body had been.

"I get it, at least wear this. I don't know how I'd feel letting someone pass out, maybe even freeze to death." Hyun Joong took his outer jacket off and put it around her shoulders. He grabbed her arms and pulled her hands out of her pockets and slipped his gloves onto her much smaller hands.

"B-But", she was cut short. "Don't worry about giving them back, I have enough jackets as it is." Hyun Joong walked back home, leaving the girl alone.

The girl pulled the big jacket on and put her hands in the pockets. She could feel a piece of paper inside. She pulled it out, it was a name tag, it was a pin that was stuck onto uniforms. She read it out loud.

"Kim Hyun Joong?"