Closer Than Expected

Walking Together

"How bad could it be? I mean it's just a little conversation right?" Taeyeon began speaking to her self as she paced around in her bedroom.

"I don't even have his number or anything, how am I supposed to talk about this stuff with someone I had just met two days ago?! I'm going crazy!" She continued to ask herself questions. Taeyeon plopped onto her bed, limbs spread. Letting out a big sigh Taeyeon tried to relax herself.

"It's okay, It's okay. I'm just thinking too much about it........ I'm so nervous!" Taeyeon placed both her hands onto her face, complaining.

"Aaachu!!" Hyun Joong sneazed loudly. "Crap, I hope I'm not sick. Aaachu!" He rubbed his nose in discomfort, "Aish, Maybe it's from walking outside too much."

"Or maybe someone's talking about you." Hyun Joong's older brother joked. "Heh, maybe." Hyun Joong smiled, sneazing again.

"Mum! Do we have cold medicine?!" Hyun Joong annouced to his mother in the other room. "It should be in the cabinet next to the sink!" Hyun Joong's mother replied as she watched dramas on the T.V.

"Found it!" Hyun Joong took two pills without really reading the box too well. "Hopefully it doesn't cause drowsiness", Hyun Joong said to his brother looking over the box again. "May cause drowsiness.... Do not operate machinery..... ..." Hyun Joong laughed off his silly mistake hoping he wouldn't become drowsy.

He was going to a school event with Donghae tonight. "I'm leaving for the festival thing!" Hyun Joong made sure to mostly direct it to his mother, and left right after not even waiting for a reply.

Donghae had been waiting for Hyun Joong, shivering in the cold. "Late again.... " Hyun Joong glanced at Donghae who had been nearly covered in winter clothing. 

"Nah, you're just always early." Hyun Joong smirked and continued towards the school. "I guess that's true, couldn't hurt if you were early at times too!" Donghae argued.

"Being early is a hassel, it's better to be somewhat late." Hyun Joong continued. "Whatever. Oh by the way I met your girlfriend earlier today."

Confused Hyun Joong squinted his eyes, "Girlfriend?! I don't know what you're talking about." Donghae laughed loudly, "That girl! Taeyeon! I think that's her name."

Hyun Joong's usual squinted confused look remained, "...Taeyeon? Ah! Her! I only met her a couple days ago, we're just friends." Donghae smiled, "So you don't have feelings for her huh?! That's good, I was planning on asking her out on a date." Donghae looked at Hyun Joong to see if Hyun Joong would react weirdly.

"I don't know why you would think I have feelings for her, did she make it seem that way?" Hyun Joong questioned Donghae. "Not really, but she seemed like the kind of girl you might like." Donghae reminisced as he kicked at snow piles.

"You seem to know her more than I do, if you like her go for it. I could care less." Hyun Joong's voice firm and blunt. "Well okay! I just didn't want you to kick my or anything."

Hyun Joong laughed, "I wonder if she'll be at the festival, it'll be funny seeing you try to ask a girl out." He imagined Donghae freaking out from nervousness and laughed to him self. "Hey now, I've asked plenty of girls out before!!" Donghae nudged Hyun Joong lightly.

"Okay okay, I was only joking." Hyun Joong still smiling. The two crossed the bridge where Hyun Joong and Taeyeon had met. "This is where I met her, and gave her my coat. Wonder if she plans on giving it back."

"Here? What the hell, that's random." Donghae laughed as he looked at the frozen water. "Well you know how I always come here alone, She just happened to be here too." Hyun Joong speech muffled from his scarf.

"She's new here, she had just moved so I'm guessing she had just been roaming around huh?" Donghae just started to actually think. "Yeah most likely, she probably even lives near here. I wouldn't expect her to roam far when she had just arrived." Hyun Joong's mind syncing with Donghae's.

"I just noticed that we're taking the long way to school..... why?!" Donghae felt his numb face. "To be honest, my legs just seem to have brought me here on their own." Hyun Joong shrugged.

The two had walked the long path Hyun Joong took from his house to the bridge. After crossing the bridge they walked into the new part of town which had been a longer way towards school. 

"All these houses are nice and new, do you think Taeyeon lives around here?" Donghae asking nonsense. "How am I supposed to know." Hyun Joong replied. Hyun Joong began to look at the sky out of boredom. It had become dark outside, and the christmas lights that had been hanging around town gave Hyun Joong a warm feeling.

"Gotta love christmas season", Hyun Joong let out a deep breath and smiled. "You seem to be a bit more cheery all of a sudden." Donghae realized. "It's Christmas season! How can I not be! My favorite time of the year." Hyun Joong admitted.

"Yeah well we've been out here in the cold for about twenty minutes now. Let's hurry up!" Donghae began running towards school. "Dammit slow down man! You're going to slip on ice!" Hyun Joong yelled as he started jogging slightly.

Once he had caught up, Donghae had been laying on the ground rubbing his . "Told ya!" Hyun Joong let out a sigh. "Shut up..." Donghae winced as Hyun Joong helped him up.

They eventually got to school, about an hour late. "Why're you guys so late?" Jessica asked as she patted snow off of Hyun Joong's clothes. She then proceeded to fix his hair which had been somewhat messed up from running against the wind.

"Okay, that's enough. Thank you." Hyun Joong rolled his eyes as Jessica smiled at him. "Hey you two love birds hurry up!" Donghae had already proceeded forward. Jessica smiled and began walking towards Donghae. Hyun Joong sighed, rolling his eyes again. "Coming."

The three entered a large room that was filled with students. It was nearly impossible to hear due to the loud music. "There you guys are!" The three had met up with Seung Gi. "What?!" Donghae yelled. "Nevermind!!" Seung Gi said as he waved his hands trying to better explain.

The four of them stood near the door watching everyone else enjoy themselves. Due to students complaining, the teachers had lowered the volume of the music. "Atleast we can hear each other now." Hyun Joong said standing closest to the door.

"Yeah, the music isn't all that great either. Hopefully Boom can get some better music on." Seung Gi said as he saw Boom, one of the staff, try and get better music to play.

"Hey look, isn't that Taeyeon?!" Donghae pointed out in the distance. The other three squinted their eyes and saw that it was Taeyeon. "Hyun Joong go get her!" Seung Gi pushed Hyun Joong forward. "What, why me?" Hyun Joong questioned and looked at Donghae who had seemed less confident then before.

"Donghae why don't you go get her, you like her." Hyun Joong scratched his head. Jessica smiled, "Someones got a crush!" She too insisted Donghae go.

"No, I'm a little nervous. Can you go instead?" Donghae asked Hyun Joong to which Hyun Joong chuckled. "Heh, Fine." Hyun Joong didn't want to be too hard on Donghae so he decided to go.

"I'll be right back." Hyun Joong gave the three a slight smile and continued towards Taeyeon. "Hey! How's it going?" Hyun Joong tapped Taeyeon on the shoulder.

Taeyeon turned around and her sight had been on Hyun Joong's chest. Slowly looking up Taeyeon's eyes widened, "Oh hi!" She was still nervous about the whole library meeting.

"Why don't you join us?" Hyun Joong asked , moving to the side letting Taeyeon see the other three. "Uhh o-", Taeyeon wasn't able to answer as Hyun Joong grabbed her wrist and lead her towards the others.

"Okay okay, you can let go." Taeyeon said trying to pull her arm away. "Sorry, didn't think you would mind." Hyun Joong shrugged. The two walked side by side towards the other three.

"Hey Taeyeon! I was wondering would you like to go on a date? With me?!" Donghae's face was full of sweat. "Weren't you just being a wimp a couple of seconds ago?" Hyun Joong mumbled.

Taeyeon gave Donghae a surprised look, "Uh, I'm sorry..." She began to lean towards Hyun Joong, as if she were trying to hide behind him. "Denied!" Jessica laughed, as she patted Donghae's back.

"Man.... I was outright denied!" Donghae sighed and hid his face. "I'm sorry, please don't take it personal." Taeyeon said trying to comfort him. "Don't worry, he'll get over it in like two minutes." Seung Gi smiled from the side.

"No I won't! I really like her!" Donghae argued. Taeyeon smiled shyly next to Hyun Joong. "Hey Donghae! I just overheard a girl who thinks you're cute!" Hyun Joong lied and pointed into the crowd.

"Really?! Where! Where!" Donghae stood up straight and ran into the crowd. "Atleast he's gulible." Hyun Joong smiled taking a seat on a chair lined up against the wall.

"So he didn't really like me?" Taeyeon laughed watching Donghae in the crowd. "He probably did, he's just quick at recovery." Hyun Joong smiled.

Taeyeon looked at Seung Gi who had given her a nod, most likely indicating now would be the best time to talk to Hyun Joong. "Uhm would you like to go outside?" Taeyeon asked Hyun Joong who had seemed confused.

"Outside? In the cold? Alright I guess, it's getting pretty hot in here." Hyun Joong agreed. Taeyeon gave Hyun Joong a genuine smile and led the way. "You don't have to walk so far up." Hyun Joong said from behind.

"Oh, I hadn't noticed I was so far ahead." Taeyeon's nervousness showed. "Are you okay? You seem a little tense, am I that scary?" Hyun Joong joked.

"Oh no! It's not that!" Taeyeon didn't know how to start a conversation. Hyun Joong observed Taeyeon, "Alright then..." They arrived outside, the night was cold but it felt nice due to the heat the room had given off.

They wondered around until they found a bench that sat on the pavement on a path to school. The school had also been surrounded with christmas lights. Much to Hyun Joong's enjoyment. "So why exactly did you want to come out here?" Hyun Joong asked as he sat on the cold surface of the bench.

Taeyeon took a seat next to Hyun Joong, she had been shivering again. "Why do you wear such thin clothing?" Hyun Joong asked as he took his warm coat off and wrapped it around her. Taeyeon didn't say anything, her eyes focused on her feet.

"This is some conversation!" Hyun Joong sighed, glancing over at Taeyeon. "What was the point of bringing me out he-" Hyun Joong was cut short by a soft voice. "Are you okay?" Taeyeon didn't know exactly how to start, she figured this was good enough.

"Uhh I guess I'm okay, a little cold though." Hyun Joong smiled. To which Taeyeon smiled for a second and then it had been gone. "You're friends are worried about you..." Taeyeon continued.

"They feel like you've changed, that you're not the same. Donghae, Seung Gi, Jessica, they all feel neglected." Hyun Joong caught off guard didn't know what to say. "They hear that all you do at home is lay around. That you don't do anything with your free time. Everyone can tell how you isolate yourself from others. They're all wondering why. Your family, your friends, me..."

Hyun Joong gave Taeyeon a cold look. "I was so nervous to talk about this with you, but I realized that I don't want you to be like this either." Taeyeon looked Hyun Joong in the eyes, "We all care about you, so don't keep everything inside."

The gaze was broken, Hyun Joong looked away. Trying to gather his thoughts, "You wouldn't understand." Hyun Joong said. "Try me." Taeyeon finally gave him a confident look, one that he felt he could actually rely on.

"I'm bored of life. That's the best I can describe it. Everyday I do the same thing, everyday I feel empty inside." Hyun Joong felt embarressed, this was his first time talking to anyone about this. "At first it was because I enjoyed being alone, but then I couldn't enjoy anything anymore."

Taeyeon listened intently, she hadn't noticed but she had slid closer to Hyun Joong and her gaze never broke. Hyun Joong's eyes were still focused on the ground as he spoke, "I'm not really sure what this is, sometimes I think I'm depressed. I lay in bed all day, I hardly talk to anyone. I don't know what to do."

As he spoke his eyesight blurred, his eyes watered. And tears had slid down his numb cheeks. "You don't have to deal with it alone. Like I said your family, friends... and I will help you." Taeyeon rested her left hand on top of Hyun Joong's right hand and lightly held on to it. 

"I've only known you for a couple days, but I already feel so close to you. You were the first person I had talked to besides my family since I've moved here." Taeyeon didn't know why she felt so close to him, she felt as if she had known him for years.

Hyun Joong finally looked at Taeyeon, his eyes puffed from crying. "Aish why am I crying." Hyun Joong wiped his eyes with his sleeve. "I don't know, hopefully it's a good thing." Taeyeon's smile radiated, her image had shined, just like the christmas lights. 

"Well let's not tell anyone I cried", Hyun Joong laughed as he sniffled. They had unknowingly been still holding hands as they recovered from the moody coversation.

Once Hyun Joong noticed he pulled his hand away, "I hadn't noticed. Sorry." Taeyeon blushed, "How did my hand get there." She felt embarressed and stood up. "Let's head back." Taeyeon said leading the way.

"Hold on, can I get my coat back? I'm feezing." Hyun Joong laughed, and rubbed the thin cloth that was his shirt. "Now whose the one wearing thin clothing?" Taeyeon teased as she helped Hyun Joong slip his coat back on.

On the way back to the school Hyun Joong felt relieved and refreshed, "You can't tell anyone I cried!" Taeyeon looked at Hyun Joong, "Hmmm maybe I'll keep the secret until I want to use it!" Taeyeon began to run towards the school.

"Yah! Taeyeon!" Hyun Joong chased Taeyeon on their way back to the school.

-------------

*Hyun Joong Narration*

Tonight had been weird, but I really enjoyed it. I feel like a new person, I don't know if it was from finally talking about it or if it's because I have someone to talk to now.....

Taeyeon, it feels as if I've known her since my childhood. I'm glad I have her as a....friend.

*End Narration*