Christmas Eve

Walking Together

 

“I-I got it, you don’t have to help me. I know how to tie a tie sheesh”, Hyun Joong backed away from his mother. “This is your first dance after all, I thought you might be a little nervous is all”, His mother really did know her son well. He struggled to adjust the tie on his own but didn’t bother asking his mother for help, he didn’t want to feel like a child yet he relied on his parents to feed him, and house him. “I wonder if everyone else is planning on wearing a tux to the dance, not sure whether or not it’s only a prom thing”, He spoke comfortably with his mother as he took a look at himself in the mirror and lifted the jacket slightly for a better fit.

 

“It shouldn’t matter, my son will be very handsome!” Apparently to his mother every one of her sons were handsome, maybe that’s how it always is. Hyun Joong didn’t bother to respond to such a statement, since it was his mother after all. “I’ll be in my room if you need me, make sure to tell me when you leave, okay?” She probably was going to go watch some of her T.V shows that she enjoyed so much. “Alright, will do”, It had been two weeks since he was asked to attend the dance.

 

“I wonder why I’m even trying”, he slightly sighed as he spoke to himself, continuing to get dressed. Not sure whether he was too dressed up or on the spot Hyun Joong ended up just dressing up in a black long sleeved shirt that seemed to give him a slimmer image. The neck had been larger than usual revealing more than a usual shirt would, leaving Hyun Joong feeling a little feminine. Still, he decided to go with it as he wore a black coat, black jeans, and even black shoes. “Guess black is the color of the day”, Hyun Joong again mumbled to himself as he looked in the mirror to see how everything went together.

 

 

“Why is it that you’re wearing all black? It’s Christmas Eve, if you’re not going to dress nicely like everyone else at wear some festive colors or clothing!” Donghae criticized as Hyun Joong took the first step out of his house. They planned on meeting at Hyun Joong’s house that way Hyun Joong could drive; it was actually a mystery as to whom Donghae was going to the dance with. “Well it’s too late now! I look best in black anyways!” Hyun Joong resisted the urge to go and change back into the tux considering even Donghae was wearing one. “Come on, let’s not be too late”, Hyun Joong lowered his head to fit through the car door and started the car all in one swoop, “Man I haven’t driven in forever, let’s hope we don’t end up crashing!”

 

“D-Don’t jinx us”, Donghae said shivering as he rubbed his hands together. The inside of the car felt much colder than the air outside, Hyun Joong set the heater at 80 degrees Fahrenheit on full blast hoping the car would heat up faster. “So who exactly are you going to the dance with? Considering I have to pick her up I think it’s best if you told me now”, Hyun Joong persisted while the car was still in park. “I’m going with Taeyeon!”

 

What?” Hyun Joong didn’t necessarily raise his voice, but there was a significant change in tone, “W-wait when did you ask?” Donghae responded in the only manner he knew, “HEY! Calm down man!” Hyun Joong glared at Donghae, “I am calm, just answer my questions I’m just curious.” Everything seemed all too well in Hyun Joong’s reaction, in reality he was unexpectedly annoyed and angry.

 

“Oh sorry, reflex I guess”, Donghae gave Hyun Joong an awkward smile, “but to answer your questions, I asked her four days ago, to be exact.” He counted his fingers as he tried to recall the day. “Ah~... Well let’s get going then”, Hyun Joong surprisingly let it go quickly, he had no reason to feel pissed off.  Donghae sat in the back so that it would be easier for everyone, so that he wouldn’t have to move once Hyun Joong picked up Ji Eun. Taeyeon lived closer to them, so they decided to pick her up first. The drive there didn’t have the best of atmospheres, the two friends didn’t talk at all. As the approached Taeyeon’s house Hyun Joong glanced at Donghae through the rearview mirror, “You should watch out for her dad, he’s quite, how do I put it, mad.”

 

Donghae looked back at Hyun Joong through the same mirror, “What do you mean by ‘mad’?” Seeing as Donghae didn’t really understand Hyun Joong he expected Donghae hadn’t met her father yet. “He’s crazy, bonkers, abnormal, loud, I’m not even sure how Taeyeon is his daughter.” Hyun Joong wasn’t really hoping to scare Donghae off, only to warn him is all. “I don’t know what you’re talking about, he seemed fine to me when I came over a couple nights ago.”

 

The area between Hyun Joong’s eyebrows wrinkled as heard Donghae’s statement of Taeyeon’s father being “fine”. Or maybe he was more troubled by the fact that Donghae had actually met her father, “Huh? ‘Fine’?! Are you serious? How did he react when he first met you? ‘Cause he went absolutely nuts when he saw me”, Hyun Joong parked his car next to the curb as they arrived to Taeyeon’s place. “I’ll tell ya later, let’s go get Taeyeon.”

 

Donghae exited the car calmly, taking a deep breath before approaching the front door. Hyun Joong remained in his seat; head rested back onto the headrest. “Taeyeon’s going to the dance with Donghae…. Well we’ll see how this goes” Hyun Joong eventually got out of the car as well, but didn’t follow Donghae right away. He leaned against his car and looked up at the stars, it was already pitch black outside and the sky was gleaming beautifully.

 

Donghae slowly walked up the front steps, and took another deep breath before he rang the doorbell. He waited a couple seconds before the door slowly swung open, to which Taeyeon who had been wearing a light baby blue dress that emphasized her petite body captured his eyes. Unable to think clearly Donghae gave her a dorky smile, “Hi.”

 

Taeyeon stood smiling shyly as she wasn’t too used to wearing dresses, especially ones that showed so much skin. “Hello, I’ll be out in just a second”, she slightly closed the door leaving a little space between the door and the doorframe. After a couple minutes that felt like hours to Donghae, Taeyeon came out with a slim white coat that went well with her dress, she had also been caring a large black coat in her arms. She was also accompanied by her parents who seemed happy for her, “Well aren’t you looking handsome tonight”, Taeyeon’s mother complimented Donghae making him slightly blush.

 

“Thank you”, Donghae gave the older woman a bright smile, “Hey, I trust that you’ll bring my daughter back safely. Have a good time”, Taeyeon’s father, strangely calm patted Donghae on the back. “Thank you sir”, this time Donghae bowed, showing more respect to both parents. “You didn’t walk here did you?” Taeyeon asked hoping he didn’t, she didn’t want to walk in the cold with such little clothes. “Oh! Nah, Hyun Joong is driving!” Taeyeon felt relieved, “That’s good”, before the two were to leave Taeyeon’s parents insisted on taking pictures. “Come on, just a couple!” The mother pushed the two closer for a couple of pictures since they couldn’t really disagree.

 

“Don’t you think you guys look a little awkward for pictures?” Hyun Joong had popped out of nowhere as he playfully joked about the two. “YOU! What the hell are you doing here punk!” Taeyeon’s father was at it again. Hyun Joong rolled his eyes as he gave a deep sigh, “You know, there is a guy right there. You know with your daughter? He seems rather weak to me.” Hyun Joong looked at Donghae and slightly laughed. “Hey!” Donghae tried to refute but Taeyeon’s father got to Hyun Joong first. “You know kid, I don’t like you”, the father began again.

 

“Oh really? I couldn’t tell”, Hyun Joong replied with a deep voice, “Now how bout you get out of my face?” It was if the two were challenging each other to see who was superior, “Okay now, no need to be rude,” Taeyeon’s mother interfered hoping to stop her husband from getting into a fight with a high school student or rather one of Taeyeon’s friends.

 

“You’re lucky my wife is stopping me! I was this close from kicking your !” He slowly backed away as his wife was restraining him from getting any closer. Hyun Joong didn’t flinch nor was he intimidated, “Cool story… Old man”, Hyun Joong laughed as if he were mocking the older guy. “Why you little-“, he was cut off by his daughter, “Appa! Leave Hyun Joong alone. We’ll be leaving now.” Taeyeon seemed rather angry as she dragged Hyun Joong behind her by the wrist, while Donghae just followed the two.

 

Once the three reached the car, Donghae entered right away but Taeyeon stood outside of the car with Hyun Joong. “Why aren’t they coming in?” Donghae wondered as he sat in the car alone. “I’m sorry for my dad, I don’t know why he acts like that with you. He wasn’t like that with Donghae”, Taeyeon apologized on behalf of her father. Hyun Joong gave a smile, “I don’t really mind”, Hyun Joong acted cool and tried to walk away first.

 

“Oh by the way, here’s your coat. I never gave it back from that night.” She stretched her arms out cutely as she tried to give him the coat back, “I was wondering when you were going to give it back.” Hyun Joong took it off her hands and continued to enter the driver’s seat. They still needed to pick Ji Eun on their way to the dance, which wasn’t too far away from Taeyeon’s place. Again the car was silent, it still felt as if there was an aura of awkwardness between Donghae and Taeyeon.

 

“Do you guys want to come with?” Hyun Joong twisted his body to look at the two in the back. “Uhm it’s okay you can go ahead”, Taeyeon said, she probably wanted to avoid going out in the cold as much as possible. “I guess I’ll stay here with Taeyeon”, Donghae replied as he hoped to be able to talk with Taeyeon with Hyun Joong gone. “Mmk, I’ll be right back. Oh and Donghae… Don’t mess anything up?” Hyun Joong said as he exited the car. “Yessir~”, Donghae mumbled as he sat in his seat with his head bent forward, and his upper back against the back of the seat.

 

“Here we go…” Hyun Joong thought as he rung the doorbell. Quicker than he expected what greeted him seemed to be Ji Eun’s father, the older man gave Hyun Joong a tired look as he waited for Hyun Joong’s greeting. Hyun Joong scratched the back of his head, “Uhm is Ji Eun here?” The man squinted his eyes, as he looked Hyun Joong directly in the eyes, “You must be Kim Hyun Joong.” Not really surprised he knew his name Hyun Joong slightly smiled with wide eyes, “Yeah that’s me.”

 

The man rubbed the scruff on his chin, “I’ve heard a lot about you.” Hyun Joong’s eyes wandered as the awkward conversation continued, “Oh, that’s… weird”, Hyun Joong didn’t know what to say. The man who seemed to be Ji Eun’s father stood looking at Hyun Joong for about two long minutes before he said another word, “I’ll go get Ji Eun.” Hyun Joong felt relieved, “O-Okay, sounds good.” The door closed fully, leaving Hyun Joong with awkward thoughts.

*Hyun Joong Narration*

 

Why the hell do I keep meeting weird parents? First there’s Taeyeon’s dad, he’s honestly crazy. Now if this actually was Ji Eun’s dad he’s well… Meh. I really hope Ji Eun isn’t this awkward; hopefully she takes after her mother who I hope is rather normal. Maybe I’m just being judgmental, well I guess I’ll try and keep my hopes up.

 

*End Narration*

 

It wasn’t long before the door opened again; it was Ji Eun who opened the door this time, “Hyun Joong! Hi, sorry to keep you waiting!” She seemed rather tense, as she walked out the door. “Don’t worry about it, I didn’t mind.” Hyun Joong tried to act cool but was surprised at how pretty Ji Eun looked, he felt kind of weird, as she was only a freshman.

 

Her hair was tied up in a bun in the back but she had left her bangs side swept, it fit well with the white mini dress she was wearing, with her dangling ear rings Hyun Joong felt like if he had put a tiara on her head she would turn into a princess. “Should we get going or are you just going to look at me?” Ji Eun smiled as she got Hyun Joong’s attention, “Oh yeah let’s go.” Hyun Joong opened the door for Ji Eun, as if he was trying to show he had manners.

 

“When did you all of a sudden learn to be a gentlemen?” Donghae joked as Hyun Joong started the car. “I’ve always had manners, what’re you talking about?” Hyun Joong played along, “Yeah manners of a child, to be specific a spoiled child!” Everyone smiled, as the two joked around, it seemed they were going to have a decent night.

 

On the way to the dance Ji Eun had realized something, “Crap, I forgot my coat at home!” She felt slightly embarrassed, as the temperature outside was nothing to joke about. Hyun Joong glanced over and saw that she wasn’t particularly wearing much either, both Taeyeon and her were wearing dresses that exposed the shoulders and upper chest and back.

 

“Here you can wear this, it’ll be rather big but it’s better than not having a coat”, Hyun Joong offered Ji Eun the coat he had just got back from Taeyeon. Taeyeon glanced at the coat and Hyun Joong but returned her sight to the window. “Are you sure?” Ji Eun confirmed, “Yeah, I have my own coat but it’s an extra one that Taeyeon just gave back”, he gave Ji Eun a slight smile.

 

“Thank you”, Ji Eun returned the smile and continued to put the large coat on. Once they arrived to the dance, which was not located at the school but a community center, they all exited the car and instantly shivered. Although they had coats on the cold temperature was able to dig through the clothes. Ji Eun and Hyun Joong walked side by side in front of Donghae and Taeyeon. Ji Eun had been wearing the large coat Hyun Joong gave her, and she walked rather close to Hyun Joong.

 

Taeyeon watched as Ji Eun slightly began getting closer and closer to Hyun Joong, she felt somewhat jealous. She remembered when Hyun Joong had given her that coat to wear, although she was with Donghae, she knew who she really wanted to be with. “Taeyeon ah, you coming?” Donghae walked backwards as Taeyeon was falling behind, “Yeah, coming!” Taeyeon snapped herself out of it and quickly caught up to Donghae.