The After Story

Walking Together

 

It’s been three years since those joyful moments, it surprises me how well things turned out for such immature people. I look back at what I used to be, what I used to do with my life and I regret not doing anything more enjoyable during those times. I’m out of high school, and although I thought I’d attend college I ended up not. My grades and tests scores were actually quite surprising. All A’s and extremely high-test scores? It wasn’t what I expected, but I took it anyways. After all my expectations were quite low.

 

What am I doing now you ask? Work of course, I was lucky to be able to find a job so early out of high school without some sort of college degree. I landed a job in construction, which took some time for me to get adjusted to since I was never the handy type. I work almost every day of the week besides Saturdays, to be honest it’s not necessary really, I’m putting most of my earnings into my savings.

 

I’m no longing living with my family, although it’s not as great where I am now I like the independence. I still live in the neighborhood, the older part that is. It’s cheap and the living conditions aren’t the worst. Life is much more than it was back in high school, it’s not “so and so”. It’s this and that.

 

“Don’t you think you should be taking it easy on work?” Donghae tilted his head to the right to get a better look at Hyun Joong. “We’re getting paid pretty well and there isn’t much we have to pay for yet. So why are you working so hard?”

 

“For the future”, Hyun Joong was still as straight forward as ever, “You’ve gotta work hard now for an easier life later.”

 

“I guess, but you’re only taking Saturday off. Sounds a little too extreme to me.”

 

“Taeyeon goes to school everyday, what else would I do anyways?” Hyun Joong unlocked the door to his small apartment.

 

“I don’t know, maybe, hang out with me?!” Donghae followed Hyun Joong into the apartment room. “It’s been forever since the last time we actually spent some time together besides work.”

 

“I’ll consider it”, Hyun Joong plopped into a white leather couch as he switched the T.V on.

 

“Alright then, that’s the best I can do with you anyways”, Donghae took a seat next to Hyun Joong.

 

There was a silence, which made the sound from the T.V seem louder. Donghae looked around as he sat silent, he could see portraits and pictures everywhere. Although there were many it didn’t seem overwhelming. One particular picture always stood out to him, there was a large picture hung above the white couch. It was a beautiful picture that displayed Hyun Joong and Taeyeon on their wedding day.

“I still can’t believe you’re married”, Donghae said as he took a long glance at the portrait.

 

“I’m still surprised Taeyeon’s father actually let me marry her”, Hyun Joong confessed as he flipped from channel to channel.

 

It was about 9:30 PM, Hyun Joong and Donghae had just gotten off of work.

 

“Wait where’s Taeyeon at? She should be out of school shouldn’t she?” Donghae scratched his head.

 

“Since it’s Friday, she went out with Ji Eun for a little, they should be back soon.” Hyun Joong didn’t take his even eyes off the T.V, “Doesn’t Ji Eun tell you anything?”

 

“You know how she’s so independent”, Donghae sighed.

 

“Well if you care so much just tell her that.”

 

“Tell who what?” IU said as she appeared out of nowhere.

 

“AH!” Donghae flinched backwards into Hyun Joong. “When did you…”

 

“I guess you didn’t notice huh?” IU smiled cutely.

 

Taeyeon appeared while placing her keys and purse onto the kitchen counter. “Annyeong!”

 

“Annyeong!” Donghae replied as he moved out of his seat for IU to sit in.

 

“How’d everything go at work?” Taeyeon placed her hand on Hyun Joong’s back as she sat down on the other side of him.

 

“Good, same old same old.” Hyun Joong turned the T.V off since there wasn’t anything good to watch. “School?”

 

“Same old same old”, Taeyeon giggled as she mimicked Hyun Joong. “Sorry we’re so late, IU and I stopped to have dinner.”

 

“It’s okay”, Hyun Joong smiled as he stood up and walked towards the kitchen. “I’m guessing that means you’re not cooking tonight?”

 

“Do you still want me to cook?” Taeyeon asked as she watched IU trying to teach Donghae how to play guitar on Hyun Joong’s guitar.

 

“Annyeo, it’s okay. I’ll just eat ramyun”, Hyun Joong said as he opened the ramyun package.

Taeyeon walked into the kitchen where Hyun Joong still was, “Miahn…”

 

“Gwenchana”, Hyun Joong smiled and slightly patted Taeyeon’s head, “I like ramyun, it’s the only thing I know how to cook.”

 

On Fridays Hyun Joong never really slept early since it was his only time to relax. With Donghae and IU gone Hyun Joong was truly able to relax. Although he was comfortable with them, everyone is always most comfortable just being at home with the ones they live with.

 

Hyun Joong was sitting on his bead reading Bleach while Taeyeon was taking a bath. “Oppa!” Taeyeon called from inside the bathroom, where the door was slightly still open.

 

“What?” Hyun Joong still focused on his comic book.

 

“Jessica called today!” Taeyeon said still talking rather loudly, “She was wondering if we would come to her reunion tomorrow!”

 

“Reunion?” Now that I think about it I haven’t seen her since graduation. Hyun Joong walked into the bathroom.

 

“Yah!” Taeyeon shrieked as she covered herself with her arms, “Why’d you come in all of a sudden?!”

 

“It’s easier to talk this way, we don’t have to yell to hear each other”, Hyun Joong chuckled. “We’re married now, I don’t think it matters all that much. And the door was open so obviously you don’t care about privacy.”

 

Taeyeon blushed as she lowered herself deeper into the water, “At least say you’re coming in next time.”

 

“Yes ma’am.” Hyun Joong sat next to the tub and crossed his arms on the ledge, which acted as a pillow to lay his chin onto. “A reunion huh? Do you want to go?”

 

“Well Jessica was one of your best friends, it’s only natural to want to see each other. You’re not working tomorrow and I don’t have school.”

 

“So is that a yes or a no?”

 

“Yes.” Taeyeon said cutely still somewhat covering herself.

 

“Alright! I guess we’re going. I’ll leave you be.” Hyun Joong smiled, “Don’t take too long your fingers will wrinkle.”

 

Taeyeon smiled, “Ne~”

Although it was rather late, they were about to fall asleep Hyun Joong was curious. The married couple were laying in the middle of their large bed in pure darkness. “Taeyeon ah”, Hyun Joong whispered.

 

“Mm?” Taeyeon gave out a tired sound.

 

“Am I working too much?”

 

“Why do you ask?”

 

“I was talking to Donghae and he said I was tiring myself out for no reason.”

 

Taeyeon opened her eyes although she was unable to see very much, “I admit everyday you look more and more tired. But if you really want to continue I won’t stop you.”

 

Hyun Joong sighed as he removed the part of the blanket that covered his upper body, “It’s just… I want to have enough money when we have a family.”

 

Taeyeon smiled upon hearing this, “You don’t need to work this much for just that, by then I’ll even have a job.”

 

He pulled her closer to him, her head under his chin and his arms around her, “I guess it’s time to take a break.”

 

Maybe I’m just overthinking things, life with a family can’t be that hard can it? If anything it’s more enjoyable when you have a family right? I guess I still haven’t learned to enjoy life all that much.

 

It’s time to live the moment.

----------------

(AN): I decided I am going to write about the events after their marriage because I felt the story before ended too abruptly, so I hope you continue to read! Comments are always welcome! :)