Because I'm Stupid

Walking Together

 

(A/N: Hyun Joong’s thoughts will now be represented with Italicized font to make the passage much smoother.)

 

“Why me?” Hyun Joong didn’t bother to look at Ji Eun trying to come off cold. “Ji Eun ssi doesn’t seem like the kind of person to like me.”

 

She smiled awkwardly as she tried to hold her excitement in, “You can call me IU! It’s a nickname my friends gave me.” Her smile was surprisingly light and glamorous, “But I’m not sure either, the first time I saw you was when… I became attracted.”

 

“I was never a fan of nicknames, it’s okay if I call you Ji Eun right?” Hyun Joong lifted his head where his eyes met the stars in the dark sky.

 

“O-Of course! I don’t mind!” Her actions seemed smoother and less stiff, maybe she was getting used to Hyun Joong’s presence.

 

“Well”, Hyun Joong gave her his attention, “Lee Ji Eun, Do you believe in love at first sight?” He smiled as to not make the moment anymore awkward than it had already been.

 

Ji Eun gave him an uncertain look, the words in her head scrambled to make a sentence, “I do. When people fall in love, I think a lot of it is determined from the first time their eyes meet.”

 

Of course she would believe in love at first sight. Have girls always been this way? So certain of love? I guess I wouldn’t know since I’m usually never around many girls nor have I had experience in dating, sad I know.

 

“Has it happened? To you that is,” Hyun Joong gave her a short look, one that tried to convey the feelings of someone older, or trying to be older.

 

IU’s reaction to the question seemed to fit the nickname, “Well uhm… I think it has but I don’t know if I’ll be able to express it.” Her face turned slightly pink as she spoke to her foot.

 

“How can you be certain of love at first sight when you aren’t exactly sure what love is or feels like? People these days throw the word ‘love’ around too easily, as your sunbae, I advise you to consider your feelings thoroughly before you commit to your ‘love’,” Hyun Joong’s words were heavy and depressing yet encouraging and honest.

 

IU wasn’t sure how to respond to Hyun Joong’s statement, his words hit her deep forcing her to consider her mindset, “It seems like we’re here.”

 

They reached the large building where the dance was located. As they arrived at the door Hyun Joong looked back towards Donghae and Taeyeon, they were much farther away than he thought.

 

What’s taking them so long? I wonder what they must have been talking about considering Donghae didn’t even bother to tell me to slow down. Well… I hope tonight won’t be as bad as I expect.

 

IU and Hyun Joong walked into a large room that had been decorated tremendously; there had been a total of twelve Christmas trees posted up in the room. The temperature difference was felt immediately, it was much warmer in the large room than expected. With all the people it should have been expected.

 

Come to think of it, I’ve never actually been to a school dance before. What exactly do at one of these things besides dance? I mean I don’t even know how to dance!

 

“Hey Ji Eun, let’s go find seats first,” Hyun Joong grabbed her by the wrist as she seemed to be in her own world. was even slightly open while she stood there.

 

“O-Okay!” She smiled as Hyun Joong lightly dragged her around avoiding other people. IU let Hyun Joong hold her wrist as she walked at the same pace as he did, even though she didn’t need to be dragged around anymore she didn’t mind.

 

Tables were filled throughout the room; Hyun Joong was able to find an empty table near the corner of the room. “Is here okay?”

 

“Yeah, it doesn’t matter where we sit” IU said in an honest voice. She looked around at the other students who were enjoying them selves on the dance floor.

 

Hyun Joong noticed he still had a grip on her wrist, “Let’s sit for a little, we can wait for the others before we go… dancing.” He released his grip and helped IU take the overly large coat off of her.

 

“Thanks, it was getting kind of hot,” She waved her hand towards her face as to try and cool herself down. She sat across from Hyun Joong rather then directly next to him, “I wonder where Taeyeon and Donghae went, they were behind us,” she looked from left to right multiple times.

 

“They’ll find us eventually,” Hyun Joong rested his head, supporting it with his arm that stood vertically. “Instead of worrying about them how ‘bout we get to know each other a little more. I hardly know anything about you and I’m on a date with you.”

 

Rather than sitting at a table awkwardly with her why not at least get to know her. She doesn’t seem to be my type but maybe we can become friends. I hope she’s not getting her hopes up too high. I’d rather not have to hurt her feelings.

 

“Oh… I guess that’d be a good idea huh?” IU smiled shyly rubbing the back of her neck. She mostly wondered where the other two were because if they were here it would be less awkward and easier for her to talk to Hyun Joong.

 

“First things first,” Hyun Joong looked at her directly in the eyes, “Try not to be too shy, I can handle it sometimes but when it gets awkward I don’t really enjoy the moment you know? Just be casual, comfortable, and friendly. I’m really not that hard to approach or talk to if the other person doesn’t make it difficult.” He wanted to get his feelings out to make sure everything was clear.

 

“I guess I can try, since it’s the first day can you tolerate it for now?”

 

“First day of what?” Hyun Joong’s eyes still focused on the baby faced girl.

 

“The first day of actually talking to each other, it’s normal to be somewhat awkward at a time like this right?”

 

“I guess, as long as I see progress!” Hyun Joong tried smiling this time, if he wanted to change the way he’s lived these past couple of months he should try and be livelier.

 

I’ll try hard to change myself because I know it’s the best. Living everyday without a purpose isn’t what my family, friends, and Taeyeon want me to do. It’ll take awhile but maybe Ji Eun can help in a way.

 

“So the first time you saw me huh? Am I that attractive?” Hyun Joong rubbed his chin.

 

“I’m sure there are more attractive men in our school,” IU admitted.

 

“Pfft says the girl who was crying when she was finally able to talk to me.”

 

“Eyy~ you’re lucky a girl like me is even interested in you!”

 

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Hyun Joong half smiled in disbelief, “I admit I’m not the best looking guy, but I’m up there!”

 

IU giggled before she began again, “Anyways, it was back in third grade, I remember returning a couple calculators for my teacher. I had to return it to a classroom while that class was at lunch.”

 

Man I remember my grade school days… I was the nerdiest kid ever. I was the biggest teacher’s pet back in the day. Yet I wasn’t that great of a kid either, I remember skipping classes, cheating, stealing and even fighting. Now a days I could care less about my teachers, but now I would never skip class… screw that.

 

“But when I finally got to the class there was one boy still in there.”

 

Hyun Joong’s eyes slightly looked up as he recalled the moment, “Me?”

 

“Yes sir! I asked you what you were doing still in the classroom, and apparently you were helping the teacher clean up the mess your classmates made?” IU rested her cheek on her palm, “It was obvious you were quite the goody goody.”

 

“Heh that was me alright! The teacher’s pet, can you believe how I’ve changed?”

 

“You have changed a lot huh? Hopefully for better than worse?” IU’s eyebrows rose.

 

Hyun Joong looked at her with curiousness, he squinted his eyes as if it were to help him figure out this girl.

 

IU didn’t seem to notice the look, “And when I handed you the calculators, this might be the corniest thing but,” IU’s blush wasn’t very visible as the lights had recently gotten dimmer, “You bowed ninety degrees, thanked me and smiled.”

 

IU smiled herself as she recalled the moment, “I can still remember that smile, and I can still remember that hard working young boy who needed a new haircut.”

 

Hyun Joong remained silent as to not kill the moment. He used his ring finger to clear the hair that poked his eyes.

 

“And that’s pretty much how it all started”, IU glanced at Hyun Joong to see how he was responding to all of this.

 

He didn’t necessarily have the most enthusiastic face but he seemed to be listening intently as far as IU knew. “You started liking me because of that? Didn’t know girls were attracted to nerds.”

 

“Who knows, the feelings just stuck with me. I haven’t had the desire to part from my feelings. I even tried dating other guys and only got up to a couple of days.”

 

I’m not sure on whether I should be creeped out or if I should be flattered. I don’t know what this chick is thinking, we just met and we hardly talk to each other. This is our first real conversation and it’s one of the most awkward things I’ve done in a long while.

 

“You shouldn’t get too caught up on me, I’m not sure I’ll be able to return your feelings. I’m going to be honest with you, you’re real pretty and all but I don’t think we could be more than friends.” Hyun Joong sat up a little more straight as he blurted out his true feelings. The heat was killing him and his face felt as if it were throbbing.

 

“I guess I expected that. I’m not stupid but since we’re already here we might as well dance?” IU’s face was slightly sweating under her bangs; she scratched the back of her neck as she slowly stood up.

 

“Heh are all freshman this cool?” Hyun Joong’s eyes grew smaller as he smiled and arose from his seat. “Would you like to dance?” He held his hand out towards her.

 

“I’d love to”, IU lightly bit her bottom lip as she lightly placed her hand upon Hyun Joong’s as if he were a prince and she were a princess.

 

The two quickly disappeared into the loud crowd of students. Hyun Joong wasn’t all that great at dancing since he was more into rock music. He really had no moves to show to impress the crowd like the movies so as anyone would in this situation he moved his body to the rhythm as best as he could.

 

IU who seemed more confident in her dancing skills seemed to lead the dance. The upbeat song kept the two moving side by side. Hyun Joong towered the girl even though she wore high heels.

 

Well look at me I’m actually dancing with a girl at a school dance. Like they say there’s a first for everything huh? It seemed a little awkward, as Ji Eun was tiny, once I think about it she’s about Taeyeon’s height maybe a little taller.

 

 

“Now where did those two go?” Donghae flicked his bangs out of his face as he looked around the large room. “Should’ve expected Hyun Joong walk off with a girl like her.”

 

Taeyeon peered at Donghae, “What do you mean? Does he do that a lot?”

 

Donghae didn’t seem to quite hear Taeyeon’s quiet voice since he continued to slowly walk forward to try and get a better look around the room.

 

“Donghae ssi?” Taeyeon pulled on Donghae’s sleeve resulting in him looking at her in a fishy way.

 

“What’s up?” His voice was sincere unlike usual. When the two were alone Donghae always seemed less hyper and more reserved.

 

Taeyeon paused before answering, “Oh nevermind, just wondering if you saw them is all!” She gave him an awkward smile hoping he wouldn’t notice anything weird. She realized that talking about Hyun Joong would justify her feelings for him and Donghae would definitely notice.

 

“Oh sorry not yet, let’s walk around”, Donghae held his hand out towards Taeyeon hoping she’d take ahold of his hand. But he was left in the water, as Taeyeon had no intention of holding hands yet. “Ah my bad, going a little too fast.” Donghae laughed it off and proceeded in pacing the room.

 

Taeyeon didn’t feel good about how she responded to Donghae but she didn’t feel bad either. The thing is, Taeyeon doesn’t have feelings for Donghae and she accepted to come with him so that the relationship between her and him would become stronger. Rather than just being close to Hyun Joong why not make some other friends as well?

 

“I don’t see them anywhere.” Donghae lied when in fact he had a view of the two in the corner of the room sitting at the table. “Do you want to dance? You know to pass the time, maybe we’ll see them in there.”

 

With her short height Taeyeon couldn’t see the two as Donghae could even if she stood on her tippy toes. “Sure I guess, that’s what we’re here for right?” The corners of her lips rose slightly before she willingly followed Donghae into the crowd.

 

Donghae looked around before he chose a spot inside the crowd. His eyes widened as he saw Hyun Joong and IU also walk into the crowd at the other end of the room. “Of course”, Donghae thought as he planned to keep some distance from the other pair.

 

“Is there something wrong?” Taeyeon asked shyly standing awkwardly between dancing couples.

 

“No it’s nothing, let’s have some fun!” Donghae smiled as he burst into spirit filled dance. He was rather talented in dancing since he was always interested in it as a child.

 

“Wah! Where’d you learn to dance like that?!” Taeyeon smiled in surprise, she was moving her body slightly but hardly noticeable. She hadn’t danced since she was a child, and it wasn’t even dancing it was more of just being a kid.

 

Donghae didn’t reply to Taeyeon’s question as he grabbed her arms and began to get Taeyeon to dance more. Even if it were just jumping up and down at least it was to the beat.

 

 

The songs quickly passed by changing from genre to genre; finally reaching the one genre most people think of when they think of a dance. Slow dancing.

 

Ah crap. Slow dancing?! Well… I guess I’ll have to give it a try seeing as Ji Eun is already trying to place my arms in the correct areas. Man it’s gotten to the point where I know I look awkward! It’s okay Hyun Joong ah it’s only a dance!

 

“Here let me help you”, IU took Hyun Joong’s hands, “Since it’s only a slower song doesn’t mean we have to do the fancy stuff.”

 

Fancy stuff?! Isn’t there only once type of slow dance? Maybe I’ve been watching too many of my mom’s TV dramas.

 

IU guided Hyun Joong’s hands, lightly placing them on her waist. Hyun Joong wanted to look away, maybe even run as he found this corny looking stuff annoying. Nonetheless he persevered letting IU once again guide him in the dance. After about thirty seconds he had begun to relax, since he figured the dance was just rocking back and fourth.

 

Even more relaxed now Hyun Joong let IU get somewhat closer, making the dance less awkward do to the wide space between them. He couldn’t dare look at IU in this position so he resorted to looking around at other people dancing.

 

His eyes wandered around quickly, hoping he wouldn’t catch anyone’s sight. But he could feel someone watching him, he could feel the pressure. Hyun Joong turned his head ninety degrees to the right where he caught someone’s eyes.

 

It was necessarily a surprised feeling, nor sorrow. Hyun Joong’s eyes stayed connected to the other’s eyes as they both moved back and fourth. Both simply watching each other.

 

So there you are. Have you been dancing this whole time? Didn’t even bother to come see me huh? Well I’m glad you’re making more friends, and that you’re able to enjoy your time here now.

 

 I shouldn’t feel special about being your first friend here should I? Well I do and I feel like the situation we’re both in should be different. I wonder if you’re feeling that way too, Taeyeon.