Friends or More

Walking Together

"No seriously I might actually use that on you", Taeyeon said playfully as they re-entered the school. "Guess it can't be helped! Now where are the others at?" Hyun Joong looked around the room, the others weren't standing in the place they had before the two left. "I don't know, I can't really see over people. I'm too short!", Taeyeon stood on her tippy toes hoping to be able to see over the large groups of people. "Maybe I should start wearing heels more, it'll give me that extra couple inches. What do you think?"

"I don't think heels will hide the fact that you have short legs." Hyun Joong laughed as he continued to look around. Taeyeon pouted and gave Hyun Joong a mean look, "Why do you always have to say such things?" The rather tall male looked down, "What do you mean?" He scratched his head in confusement. "You always say such mean things, well the way you say it sounds mean atleast." Taeyeon's tone of voice seemed as if she were lecturing him. "I'm just being honest, it's how I am." He brushed it off and unexpectidly started to walk around. Taeyeon quickly followed after him, "You're so blunt, I can't tell if you're trying to be mean or not."

"Don't think about it so much, you'll know when I'm trying to be mean, or if I'm just trying to convey my thoughts." Hyun Joong calmly said as he paced the side of the room. "Anyways who said I thought short legs were unattractive?" Taeyeon looked up feeling defeated, "Well do you atleast think I should wear heels more? Kind of like Jessica?" Taeyeon thought back to whenever she saw Jessica, "Thinking back I've only seen her wear heels." 

"Well that's Jessica, maybe she finds them comfortable. Doesn't look like it to me, I'd rather be comfortable than look good. I guess that's my answer for your question, depends on what's more comfortable for you." Hyun Joong walked around greeting fellow classmates as he had a convorsation with Taeyeon. "I guess shoes are more comfortable for me, I guess it doesn't matter since nobody is going to bother to look anyway." She looked at her feet as she spoke.

"You shouldn't say things like that, you have to be confident. If anything that's attractive, and again to be honest, I find shoes much cuter than heels. Whenever someone wears heels it feels like they're trying too hard, cough, Jessica." Taeyeon smiled at the way Hyun Joong verbally said "cough" and realized what he had said. "How can you talk about Jessica like that, she is your friend isn't she?" Taeyeon again taking control. "You really get worked up about nothing huh? She knows how I feel, I've talked to her about it. We've been friends for years." Hyun Joong continued to dismiss Taeyeon's lectures.

"Hey! Over here!", A gentle yet loud voice clung to the pair's ears. They looked over to their left, into the crowd where there had been Donghae waving. Hyun Joong smiled and walked over to Donghae, who had been accompanied by a younger looking girl. "There you are.", Hyun Joong smiled as he greeted Donghae. "Hello.", Taeyeon greeted Donghae and the girl lightly bowing in the process. "Oh this is Lee Ji Eun, shes a freshman.", Donghae introduced the rather petite young girl.

"Hello, you can call me IU", She bowed ninety degrees to both Hyun Joong and Taeyeon. "It's very nice to meet you", Taeyeon greeted back with a gracious look. "Sup", Hyun Joong said shortly, "Wheres Seung Gi and Sica?" He asked Donghae as if it were only him there. "They left early", Donghae looked at Hyun Joong dissapointed, "IU here, wanted to meet you." Hyun Joong gave Donghae a weird look, "Me? Why?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Told you it'd be nice to just get a ride with me", Seung Gi said with both his hands on the steering wheel. "I guess it's much nicer than walking home in cold weather like this", Jessica was leaning on her arm looking up into the sky through the window. "What's with you guys and walking to places? You, Donghae and Hyun Joong always walk. Do you guys even have your license?", Seung Gi said momentarily glancing over at Jessica. "Hyun Joong and I both have our license, Donghae doesn't have his yet. I walk because I don't have a car to drive, my family only has one car that my dad takes to work each day. Hyun Joong has a car and in fact a motorcycle but he prefers to walk. He used to ride his motorcycle everyday when he got his license for it, but he just stopped. As for Donghae he is too lazy to try and get his license, so he just walks with Hyun Joong", Jessica explained everyone's situation.

(AN: I don't think Koreans can get their license at this age, but since I already have my license I'm just going to base it off of where I live :p )

"I see", Seung Gi nodded. They were quiet for a couple minutes until Jessica had remembered, "Oh yeah, how do you think it went for Taeyeon?" The two had left before they were able to see how it went for Taeyeon and Hyun Joong. "I'm not too sure, Taeyeon seems like a frail girl, while Hyun Joong has quite the strong character. If anything, the only reason it might have gone okay was if they had feelings for one another", Seung Gi said slightly trying to provoke Jessica. "I hope not, I don't want Taeyeon to interfere with the relationship between Hyun Joong and I", Jessica didn't speak with anger nor jealousy. She wasn't the girl who would try and sabotage someones relationship like in the drama shows.

"But If Hyun Joong does have feelings for her, I wouldn't blame him. From what I know she seems sweet and delightful to be around. She's pretty and most of all she has such a glowing smile, it reminds me of Hyun Joong back in the days", Jessica rested her head back as she spoke. "I felt the same way when I first met her. I told her how Hyun Joong likes girls with pretty smiles, considering she has a pretty smile and she seems to smile plenty. I think it went well for her", Seung Gi reminisced as he drove.

"Oh by the way, I know you would want to go with Hyun Joong but would you like to go to the dance  with me? You know the one on Christmas Eve?", Seung Gi began to sweat as he awaited Jessica's answer. "You know, it's time I take interest in other guys. I'd love to go to the dance with you", Jessica accepted happily. "That's fantastic, we'll have a great night", Seung Gi had become ecstatic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ask her yourself", Donghae said giving Hyun Joong eye signals. "Stop with the signals already", Hyun Joong groaned. He turned to the freshman girl, "So why exactly did you want to meet me?" Donghae took a step towards Taeyeon, "How'd it go?" He whispered into her ear. Taeyeon backed away slightly as his mouth was centimeters away from her ear, "Uhh it went fine, just fine", she smiled slightly. 

"Well you know how theres a dance Christmas Eve?" IU asked shyly. Hyun Joong who had completely forgot there was a dance responded, "Yeah, what about it?" Donghae had been enjoying the awkward convorsation between the two, while Taeyeon was surprised herself there was a dance. "Would you want to go with me?", IU's face had blushed pink as she played with her feet. Hyun Joong who had been quite taken aback began to smile, "We just met you know? Are you sure you actually want to go with me? It's surprising a girl would ask a guy, if anything a freshman girl asking a junior guy", Hyun Joong somewhat chuckled, noticing the nervous girl's actions.

"How bout you look at me", Hyun Joong found it awkward talking to someone with no face, "How can I decide if I don't even know what you look like exactly?" IU slowly raised her head, revealing her pretty features. "Is she actually serious about asking Hyun Joong to the dance?" Taeyeon looked at Donghae. "Yeah, she met with me hoping to meet Hyun Joong. Apparently she had a crush on him since grade school", Donghae ran his tongue across the bottom of his lips and returned to watching the shy girl and the awkward guy. Hyun Joong looked back at Taeyeon who had been silently listening to them, well as far as he knew. He wasn't sure why but he didn't feel to good about going to the dance with this girl.

*Hyun Joong Narration*

Why me? I don't even know this girl, and she wants to go on a date with me? Man, so much had happened in these past few days I don't even know what to think. As I talked to IU and tried to decide on whether or not I wanted to do this, I kept looking back at Taeyeon. I have no idea why, everytime I looked back it felt like if I said yes I would be screwing something up. It felt like I needed Taeyeon's approval as well, have I been brainwashed by this girl in these past few days? Maybe I should just ask her how she feels about this.

Wait why would I? It's not like we're dating, we're hardly even friends. Taeyeon, what're you doing to me.

*End Narration*

The convorsation felt like it was taking forever for the four who at that time had been standing in the middle of a crowd. "You know what? Why not, sure. I'll go to the dance with you", Hyun Joong smiled as he answered the girl's question. After hearing Hyun Joong's answer IU smiled graciously, her happiness had flown right out. Hyun Joong stood smiling as he scratched his head, Donghae watched laughing as IU had ran up and held onto Hyun Joong. "Thank you", IU cried, her arms tightly wrapped around Hyun Joong's torso. He slightly returned her hug, patting her on the back hoping to make it less passionate.

"There's no need to cry", Hyun Joong chuckled, "Now, who are you exactly?" Hyun Joong smiled, looking back at Taeyeon who had been standing next to Donghae. Taeyeon looked at Hyun Joong and gave him a smile that seemed to be different from her usual graciousness. Hyun Joong hadn't noticed the difference as he was busy with what was in his arms. "You can let go now, what am I a celebrity?", IU finally let go letting Hyun Joong regain his senses.

"I'm sorry it's just ever since I first saw you, I began to become fond of you, I was always too shy to say something and now I can finally atleast talk to you", IU gave a relieved look. "I didn't know I was that hard to approach, if theres anyone you know who also wants to approach me tell them to, because i'm not hard to approach!" Hyun Joong admitted. "Yeah I wish I would have known that sooner", IU shrugged cutely. Donghae walked up to Hyun Joong, "By the way I gave her your number if thats cool." Hyun Joong gave Donghae a serious look, "Damn dude, do you give everyone's number away so easily?", Hyun Joong laughed.

"Well, since you have my number, contact me. This festival thing's going to end soon, so I'm gunna leave.", Hyun Joong began to walk away, "Bye freshman!", Hyun Joong raised his  hand as he walked. He grabbed onto Taeyeon's wrist as he walked past her. "What're you doing?", Taeyeon asked being dragged. "You didn't seem to notice we were leaving, easiest way to get your attention", Hyun Joong smiled with one hand gripped onto Taeyeon's wrist and the other in his left pocket. Taeyeon let him drag her behind him until they reached outside, "Okay! Let go, I'm going home", she pulled her arm away. 

"Do you have a ride?", Hyun Joong asked with a sudden serious tone. "I'm walking home", Taeyeon began walking first this time as if she were angry. Donghae watched as Hyun Joong walked after Taeyeon, "Hold on, I'll walk you home." He tried to walk with Taeyeon but she slowly accelerated. "Slow down!" Hyun Joong held onto her wrist once again. "Let go!", Taeyeon raised her voice.

Donghae didn't want to be there when Hyun Joong got beat up by a girl, "Hyun Joong ah, I'm leaving first." Donghae patted Hyun Joong on the back. Hyun Joong watched Donghae pass him, "Alright, I'll see ya later." Hyun Joong turned his attention to Taeyeon, "I'll let go if you promise not to walk away."

Taeyeon nodded in agreement, to which Hyun Joong let go, "What's gotten into to you, what's with the sudden mood swing. You were fine just a couple minutes ago." Hyun Joong asked nicely to not provoke her again. "I-I'm not sure, I'm just tired I guess, kind of cranky since I have to walk home", Taeyeon didn't look up at Hyun Joong. "I'll make sure not to make you angry when you're cranky then, I'd rather not die just yet", Hyun Joong joked, "You shouldn't get so cranky about such a small thing, since you're gunna have to walk home anyway." Taeyeon gave Hyun Joong a sudden glare, "Yah!" He put his to hands up as if he were surrending, "Sorry Sorry."

"But I was wondering, can you walk with me? Until I get home that is?", Taeyeon's voice had changed. "What's with the sudden change of tone? Does the little girl want me to protect her from murderers?" Hyun Joong mocked her, "I was planning on walking with you anyway before you made a scene." Taeyeon began walking, "Shut up.." Hyun Joong did shut up, and followed her in the direction he and Donghae took to arrive at the school.

Taeyeon wasn't mad or cranky about walking home, she was hoping Hyun Joong didn't realize the real reason so she pretended to be mad, as if she didn't enjoy Hyun Joong's presence. The two were completely silent during the whole walk, Hyun Joong was afraid he would provoke her once again while Taeyeon didn't know what to say or how she should start a conversation. Once they had reached Taeyeon's house, which was in the newer neighborhood as Hyun Joong expected they finally spoke to each other.

"Thanks for walking me home", The corners of Taeyeon's lips raised slightly. Hyun Joong nodded, "No problem, thanks for everything that happened tonight. You helped open my eyes to everything." Taeyeon nodded and opened her front door, "By the way, if you want. You can stop by sometime." She was facing Hyun Joong but her left hand was on the door knob. "Sounds good, take care." Hyun Joong smiled without showing his teeth. 

There had been a deep voice approaching the door from the inside, "Is that you Taeyeon?" She opened the door fully this time, "Ne~ Appa", She gave him a little wave. As he reached the front door he noticed behind Taeyeon, Hyun Joong had been standing there with his hands in his pockets, and his hair partly covering his eyes. "Yah, whose this fellow? This wimp isn't your boyfriend is he?" Taeyeon responded surprised, "No! He's just a friend".

Hyun Joong gave the older, taller man a glare, "Wimp?" Taeyeon's father walked up to Hyun Joong, "You want to be with my daughter huh?! Well you can't! I'm not going to let some weak punk like you marry my daughter!" Hyun Joong leaned back as Taeyeon's father got into his face, "What the hell are you talking about?...." Hyun Joong mumbled not seeing how this man could be the father of Taeyeon. "Appa, leave him alone. It's late and he has to return home as well." Taeyeon pushed her father back into the house.

She returned outside once she got him inside, "Sorry about that." Hyun Joong chuckled, "It's okay, it's not your fault your dad's a complete lunatic.." Taeyeon seemed to be getting used to Hyun Joong's bluntness as she didn't seem to get mad from his remark infact she smiled. "You better get going, it's getting late." Taeyeon suggested. "I guess so, I'll see you later then."

"Okay, be careful", Taeyeon stood and watched Hyun Joong walk away from her doorstep. Hyun Joong didn't know what it was about Taeyeon, but in his eyes she seemed so angelic, and pure yet haughty and stubborn.

*Hyun Joong Narration*

It's weird how someone can change so easily, how someone can realize what they've become. It's amazing how a person, who you've just met can change you, and help you realize what you've become. I don't know what it is about her, but it feels like she's important. And no matter what, I should keep her with me rather than walking alone. I think Taeyeon can help me change in many ways, improve the way I live and what kind of person I am. She seems like a good enough reason to live, I'm not sure as a friend or maybe something even more. All I know is, we can walk together in each others' lives.

*End Narration*