Goodbyes

Final Bangtan Fantasy X

"It's collapsing!" Yoongi flings his blitzball at a falling piece of rubble, saving Hoseok from getting his head knocked off. The five of them are trying to escape the collapsing dome of the Zanarkand Cloister of Trials. Taehyung manages to throw himself out of the way as the pillar collapses, destroying the entrance to the building.

"Watch out!"

Taehyung is slapped away by some tail that comes whipping his way. He slams into the wall, the blue sphere flying out of his hands and landing on the ground. He scrambles towards the blue sphere and grabs it, a claw slashing into his side and blood spurts out. He grits his teeth as he grabs an X-Potion and drips it all over his wound, hissing at the pain. 

"Come on!" Hoseok grabs his arm, while firing a Flare spell at the fiend.

The fiend cries as the Flare spell hits it from the bottom. The fiend, the Spectral Keeper, soars up into the air and dives back down, slashing blindly. 

Taehyung hears a scream and he snaps his head towards the sound. He gapes as he watches someone fall, sword clanging to the ground, a large gash on his neck.

"NO!" someone yells, and Taehyung's head whirls. The battlefield is a mess, even with Hoseok leading him out of the area.

The World Champion hits the Spectral Keeper on its head, creating a large gash, and it returns, slashing at the Spectral Keeper again and again. No, not just the blitzball. Someone is up there, riding the Spectral Keeper, sword stabbing again and again until blood bursts from every part of its body. The sword swings down again and severes its arm, the clawed arm flung far away from the fiend.

Hoseok casts Flare twice in a Doublecast move, and the Spectral Keeper bursts into pyreflies. The person riding the Spectral Keeper leaps off its body as it crashes to the ground, the pyreflies flying from it. Taehyung recognizes him now. Seokjin. Seokjin is screaming...and screaming. 

"Namjoon! Joonie!"

"Namjoon!" Yoongi runs over, and Taehyung's arm is lef go of as Hoseok runs over as well. Taehyung follows suit, the blue sphere still clutched tightly in his hands.

Namjoon's neck has a deep gash, blood oozing from it. His eyes are closed, blood trickling out of the corner of his mouth.

Taehyung stares down at the scene as Seokjin gathers Namjoon into his arms, his face contorted.

This is the third goodbye today.

**************************************************************

"I thought we'd be a team forever, Namjoon..." Seokjin looks down at Namjoon, aware that the rest are watching, but he doesn't care anymore. Not when Namjoon's dying in front of him. They've run out of Potions and everything and Jimin is dead.

Namjoon's eyes blink open blearily as Seokjin brushes blood-matted hair out of his eyes. He coughs up blood as he tries to speak, but Seokjin shushes him, pressing a finger to his lips.

"Shh...it's alright. I'm here..."

Seokjin can very much abandon Namjoon, like how they were taught to do as warrior monks should your partner die. But no. He's not going to do that. Especially because it's Namjoon. The man who's been with him for the past...how many years? Together, they had been appointed Top Class Warrior Monks, served the Grand Maester Mika, fought fiends, became Guardians, protected and lost their first Summoner...the list goes on and on.

"It's okay, I'm here..." Seokjin tightens his grip on Namjoon's body as his life ebbs away slowly but surely. He leans down and presses a soft kiss to Namjoon's chapped lips, something he's always wanted to do since forever. Namjoon kisses back, albeit weakly, and they break apart.

Namjoon's eyes close, lips turning up into a half-smile, and his hand goes limp.

Seokjin's eyes widen, the shock of his death suddenly hitting hard, full-on. A strangled scream rips out of his throat as he grasps Namjoon's body closer to him, if that's even possible, the warmth of the latter fading away. Tears spring out of his eyes and Seokjin screams as again as he buries his face into Namjoon's neck, the non-bloodied part.

They were almost out. And Namjoon just had to die.

"You said we would be a team! You said that you'd follow me back and be with me..." Seokjin sobs as he remembers the words that Namjoon had just said to him today, when dawn had just broken. "Namjoon!"

Someone walks over and places a hand on Seokjin's shoulder, gripping hard.

"We have to go."

"I'm not leaving Namjoon."

"Then take him with us." Taehyung blinks back his own tears as he watches Seokjin hoist Namjoon up onto his back, and they walk back, Seokjin piggybacking him as they go.

**********************************************************************

Taehyung had telephoned Cid with the new-fangled device he's got, and he watches out of the corner of his eye as Seokjin lays Namjoon down gently on the ground, on the outskirts of Zanarkand. 

The whirring of the machine of the airship is heard as it comes into view, landing gently on the ground, near the godforsaken city.

"I...I want to bury him in Luca," Seokjin tells Cid the moment he raises a questioning eyebrow. "Beside someone."

Cid doesn't say anything more, and simply shrugs his shoulders as he yells at Brother to drive them to Luca.

The city of Luca gets even more livelier as the people rejoice, news spreading quickly about the defeat of Sin. Festivity is in the air as the people perform the prayer of Yevon, praying to Yevon that the Calm would last another ten years. The airship lands without drawing much attention, thankfully, and Seokjin brings Namjoon, all cleaned up and dressed in clean clothes, to a graveyard near the outskirts of Luca, around Mi'ihen Highroad.

The other three, Taehyung, Yoongi and Hoseok follow them as Seokjin lies Namjoon down, and he takes the shovel Cid has provided him.

He digs a hole in the ground, working his hands raw as he grunts and shoves soil out of the way. Taehyung edges more to the right to see who Seokjin's burying Namjoon with. The gravestone of the other person is quite grand, better than any other gravestones in Mi'ihen Highroad.

Seokjin looks over at Namjoon, tears still shining in his eyes as he lays Namjoon down in the grave gently, before he buries him, allowing the soil to land on Namjoon's perfect face, with his perfect features. Seokjin then stabs Namjoon's sword into the ground as a marker.

"You buried him next to Sairah," Taehyung observes, and Seokjin nods.

He heads back towards the airship, where Cid is still waiting.

Somehow, the four of them don't feel like joining in the festivities anytime soon.

***************************************************************

"I believe that the Summoner Park Jimin has done us a great service," Grand Maester Mika says through the microphone as he has gathered the people of Spira in the Stadium in Luca. Hoseok's ears perk up as he yawns, having to listen to a speech by this old coot with Yoongi. All the people in Spira, minus the Al Bhed and Ronso, are expected to be there.

"In honor of his noble sacrifice, a statue fashioned after him has been placed in every single temple in Spira," Mika announces. "For the Calm...may praise be to Yevon for such a boy." 

"It's the end...finally," Hoseok yawns again as he and Yoongi walk out of the Stadium along with the throngs of people.

"I hate that guy," Yoongi states simply as they head back to the airship, where Seokjin is still mourning over Namjoon. Taehyung hasn't joined them ever, and it is true that someone has to stay to make sure Seokjin doesn't do anything stupid. Yoongi and Hoseok retire in their own room, too tired from the day's events to think about anything anymore.

**************************************************************

"Master..."

Auron has seen the airship, and had followed it all the way here. He looks down at the grave before him--of his late master, Kim Namjoon, a legendary Guardian.

"You know him?" 

Auron looks up at the owner of the voice and finds someone standing there, someone he recognizes as Namjoon's old partner.

"You let him die!" Auron feels a sudden rage towards this man. "You let master die!" 

Seokjin doesn't say anything. Instead, he turns around.

"W-Wait! Where are you going?" Auron looks confused now, just like how a twelve-year-old boy would be. Seokjin walks back to the airship parked at Rin's Travel Agency, and Auron is about to chase him up when he sees someone screaming.

The someone crashes into him and Auron is just about to yell at him for his carelessness when he sees the someone apologizing profusely.

"Sorry...sorry...Choco doesn't want to listen to me..." The boy is wearing blue all over, and he's dressed in thick robes just like a Summoner's. "Are you okay? What's your name?"

"Auron," Auron says, and he extends a hand, helping the boy stand up.

"Cool! I'm Braska," Braska bows again, smiling. "I'll bring you to Luca to make up for it...Choco's just a little agitated that Lord Jimin is gone, I guess...he's a great boy."

"S-Sure..." Auron nods.

"D'you wanna follow me back to Bevelle? You have a Bevelle accent," Braska smiles, and Auron nods. "I can let you ride on Choco with me." 

And with that, Auron has something to thank that Seokjin for.

***********************************************************

"What's that?" Hoseok asks, as Taehyung puts the sphere down on the table.

"Jimin's sphere," Taehyung refuses to look at Hoseok, instead keeping his eyes on the sphere. "He told me to watch it with everyone."

Hoseok, Yoongi and Seokjin gather around the table and Taehyung touches the sphere with a finger, playing it.

"Hey!" Jimin's cheerful voice bursts from the sphere, bringing tears to Taehyung's eyes and he closes them, not wanting to let the tears fall.

"This is Jimin, but I guess you already know that, huh," Jimin smiles, and he turns the sphere so that it's facing the sunset. It's taken right here, on Mi'ihen Highroad at the Rin's Travel Agency. It's really beautiful, the sunset, even though it's shown through a sphere.

"I know I'll be gone by the end of this pilgrimage, and I won't be able to thank you..." Jimin's voice softens. "Thanks for everything, guys. Jungkookie and Tae...thanks for being my childhood friends. Continue being the cute Ronso and the playful Tae that you guys are.

"Hoseokkie! Thanks for being the moodmaker! You can even cheer me up when I'm down! Please keep on being cheerful!

"Yoongi-ah, the grumpy grandpa! You're really good at blitzball, you know that? Thanks for being there, I guess...your blitzball skills are amazing! Keep playing and do us proud! One day, the Besaid Aurochs are going to win!

"Namjoonie! You're so smart and you can read! That's so cool! Keep practicing your sword skills! Oh, and you will succeed one day! Hehe...

"Jin-ah! Let me disclose Namjoonie's big secret! He's totally in love with you! Help him achieve his unreachable dreams please, haha!

By the end of this, Jimin is already close to breaking down, but he's still forcing a smile. "Thank you everyone...for being there for me. This is Park Jimin, signing out...I'll...see you later..." 

With that, the sphere ends, and Jimin's smile is frozen on the screen. Taehyung swipes the sphere, and Jimin's message repeats again. Yoongi is nowhere to be found, and Hoseok is already a mess, burying his face into his arms. Seokjin is leaning against the wall, staring blankly into space.

Taehyung hugs the sphere to his chest, letting out his tears as he cries into the table. He hears someone get up and leave, and Yoongi's gentle voice, leaving himself and Seokjin in the room. Seokjin walks over and taps Taehyung's shoulder.

"I'm sorry..." is all he says as he helps Taehyung up to his room.

Even till the end, Jimin believed in the 'see-you-later's.

****************************************************************