The Job

Final Bangtan Fantasy X

"Your job," Trema jabs a finger at the lot of them. "Is to capture the most fearful fiend in the entirety of Calm Lands...Cavern of the Stolen Fayth included."

"Cavern of the Stolen Fayth...?" Jimin scrunches up his face in disgust.

"Yes, that cavern of Stolen Fayth," says Trema. "You all know full well what I want you to capture."

"That's crazy!" Seokjin steps forward, clearly enraged. "You want Lord Jimin to throw away his life...for this?" 

Before Seokjin can take one step further, Jimin holds a hand out in front of Seokjin, halting his advancement. He stares straight at Trema, "I don't think you just gave us this task for nothing. I'll take up the job...and I'll get Nirvana."

"Well, good luck, lads! You'll need it," Trema lays back against his chair. "And lemme give you a hint...the samurai's the key."

"Samurai?"

"Uh-huh," Trema nods. He shoos them away, and that is that.

**********************************************************

"Let's not all go in together," Jimin says. "Just in case something happens to us inside, at least we have someone to get help."

"What help?" Yoongi drawls. "No one in the whole of Calm Lands will be willing to help us...if there's anybody at all, there is."

"Get Trema. Force him to help. Someone who can contain such a powerful demon isn't weak," says Namjoon. "I'm going in with Jimin. I've got a score to settle with that thing."

"If you're going in, I'm going too," Seokjin says. "And that's final."

"My decision is final," Jimin says. "Namjoon and Seokjin, you're going to have to stay out here. I'm bringing Kookie and Yoongi with me."

"What about me?" Hoseok asks, frowning.

"Stay outside here with Joonie and Jinnie," Jimin says sternly, and from his expression, his Guardians can tell he's serious about this job. "Whatever you do, do not ever enter the Cavern...unless Kookie or Yoongi comes out half-dead."

"Don't think that," Jungkook places a hand on Jimin's shoulder. "We're all going to get out alive."

Jimin nods, a smile pulling at the edges of his lips, as he faces Jungkook, before walking up to him and (standing on tip-toes) whispers in his ear, "If we ever don't have a chance of making it out alive...you and Yoongi get the h*ll out of there, understand?"

Before Jungkook can give a response, Jimin walks off, deeper into the Cavern. A shiver travels down Jungkook's spine as he thinks about what Jimin's words mean, and he quickly sets off after his Summoner, followed lazily by Yoongi, deeper into the Cavern.

Hoseok watches the three of them heading deeper into the Cavern, watching Yoongi especially, until they are swallowed by the darkness. All he can remember seeing is the silhouette of his back as he goes deeper.

Their only source of light is the green light from the emeralds embedded in the walls.

"Here," Jimin says, the three of them reaching the innermost Cavern meeting nothing more than three Dark Elementals, the green creature nowhere in sight. "This is where we last were..."

The rockslide hasn't been cleared up...but of course, what did Jimin expect? It's a cave with a fearsome monster after all. Who would dare to come down?

Except probably the most brave or the most stupid, in which Jimin figures he may fall into the latter category.

"Jimin-ah, I hear something," Yoongi taps Jimin's shoulder, and the younger immediately goes rigid. He can hear it too. Stepping sounds, and the swinging of a lantern on its handle that makes Jimin's hair stand on end. Jungkook's growling now, spear at the ready, and Jimin whirls around, meeting the nightmare of a monster for the...second? Third?...time in a row.

"So, that's the monster thing?" Yoongi asks, and Jimin nods, fear suddenly completely taken over him. He stands rooted to the spot, hands shaking as he holds his staff, cold sweat dripping down his forehead and rolls down his cheeks. Jimin grits his teeth, thinking hard, Just stop it already, Park Jimin! It's just a--

"Look out!" Jungkook pushes JImin away, the green monster's dark magic almost striking Jimin if Jungkook hadn't pushed him to safety...literally.

"Jimin! Be more careful!" Yoongi shouts, body slamming Jimin and the two of them fall to the ground, just as Yoongi throws his blitzball, catching the green creature unawares and nipping his tail. Greeny doesn't even move, but sends its Karma attack, a congregation of black shadows, towards the two, and Jimin blocks the attack with a Protect and Shell spell. It didn't really help in deflecting the attack, but at least it weakened it.

"Jimin!" Jungkook shouts, rushing forward, but has to dodge one of the green creature's attacks, forcing him away from the two.

"We're not going to survive if we keep dodging its attacks!" Yoongi says. "We're going to get tired before he runs out of energy!" He looks over at Jimin. "The old man said something, something is the key!" His blitzball comes back to him, and Yoongi pushes Jimin behind him. "I'm going to fight it. You'd better come up with something, Jimin-ah!"

With that, Yoongi launches his blitzball again, this time, covered in flames, while dodging the green creature's attacks over and over again.

Jimin thinks. And thinks. The Samurai is the key, is what Trema said. Samurai is the key...Key...Samurai.

Samurai? Since when was a samurai involved?

But something clicks in Jimin's mind when he watches Jungkook slammed against the rock wall, the air knocked out of his lungs. Samurai...

"Great Warrior of the Feudal Era, the Samurai who transcends Time! Yojimbo!"

Jimin watches as sakura petals glide by his face as a dog his leg. Jimin bends down to pet the dog, when he notices the samurai clad heavily in cloth and coats and...err...just about everything you can name. And he's colorful as h*ll. The samurai faces the green creature, and suddenly, the Cavern goes silent, Jungkook looking over at the sudden intervention and Yoongi is wiping perspiration off his forehead.

"W-What is--" Jungkook starts.

"That?" Yoongi finishes for him, and Jimin doesn't know what's happening, as the samurai and the green creature stare at each other, both unmoving, before Yojimbo draws his sword. A voice resonates in Jimin, Jungkook and Yoongi's heads.

"Is this what you have become, Tonberry?" 

Jimin looks at the green creature. "Tonberry?"

"The name of the woman who brought this fayth here," Yoongi says, recalling the legend that Braska has told him about. About the woman who stole the fayth a long time ago, and brought Yojimbo's fayth here, before she was shot dead by Bevelle guards.She was...Yojimbo's lover or something?

There is no response from the green creature, but Yojimbo continues. "You have no more chance at redemption. Killing is never the way. Neither is stealing."

Tonberry looks utterly overwhelmed at Yojimbo's mere words alone, and Yojimbo takes another step forward. "I've come now, after many years, to relieve you of your suffering."

Jimin is too scared to move, as Yojimbo holds his sword out, and Jimin opts to hold onto the dog, and the dog nuzzles itself into Jimin's chest.

It's over before Jimin even has the chance to blink. There's a short, sharp stab into Tonberry's side, and the green creature drops her lantern and her knife, metal clanging on the rocky ground.

"W-Wait!" Jimin cries, remembering exactly what they came here for. He grabs his staff, and plunges it into the Tonberry's side, the million of pyreflies seemingly entering the staff, and they stay there, captured.

Jimin falls backwards, landing hard on his rear end, gripping the staff tightly.

"Whoa...we did it," Jimin breathes, and he looks back up at Yojimbo, who's sheathing his sword and turning his back on Jimin, before disappearing into nothingness. When Jimin looks down, he notices that the bright red dog is gone, along with the samurai.

"Well," Jungkook picks himself up from the ground, body a little battered, but otherwise, unharmed. Yoongi also seems unharmed, and the three of them make their way out of the cavern, tired but satisfied.

*********************************************************

"What the sh*t!" Yoongi hisses as he realizes what in the world is standing just a few meters from them.

"Relax, it's just a fiend," Jungkook laughs, holding his spear, and turns to Jimin. "Don't fight or else the soul we worked so hard to get will escape."

The creature is tall, dark (but no, not handsome), and has the protective spells NulBlaze, NulTide, NulShock and NulFrost floating around him, denoted by the white, blue, yellow and red dots of light. Without a warning, the creature launches its attack, a fireball flying towards the three, and Jimin manages to roll out of the way, hitting Jungkook in the process.

"You kids..." Yoongi huffs, managing to avoid the fireball unharmed, and he throws the blitzball, aiming it straight for the monster's arm, and Jimin watches as the spikes dig through the monster's arm, slicing it clean off its body, and the monster screeches in pain as its arm flies off, landing on the ground, and the monster flees.

"So much for a fiend," Yoongi mutters, catching his blitzball as it flies back to him. "That thing was a coward."

Jimin chuckles, as Jungkook helps him up, offering to piggyback him out of the Cavern, to which Jimin declines as admits he likes seeing the pout on Jungkook's face.

"What'cha doing?" Jimin notices Yoongi grabbing the arm and throwing it over his shoulder, blitzball shoved under his armpit.

"It'll make a good souvenir," Yoongi mutters, and Jimin nods, brow furrowed.

"What are you waiting for?" Yoongi looks back at Jimin and Jungkook.

"N-Nothing!" Jimin holds the staff closer to his chest, before running after Yoongi, Jungkook following behind.

************************************************************

"YOONGI-YAAAAA!" Hoseok tackles Yoongi the moment he steps out of the cavern, mop of blonde hair hitting the ground.

"Geroff me!" Yoongi yells, trying to push the Guado off him.

"Why were you taking so lo--Oh, hi, Jiminnie and Kookie!" Hoseok waves enthusiastically.

"How was it?" Namjoon asks. "You're not hurt too bad, are you?"

Jimin shakes his head, "Nah. Yojimbo did most of the work."

"What is that?!" Hoseok points at the fiend's arm that Yoongi is holding.

"Something I decided to take back as a souvenir," Yoongi says. "Cut it off from a fiend in there." 

"Whoa," Hoseok picks the arm up (with a little bit of effort, considering he's not as strong as Yoongi is) and swings it around, almost hitting Seokjin on the head.

"Y-Yah! Stop that!" Seokjin waves it away, and Hoseok hands it back (albeit with a little difficulty) to Yoongi. Yoongi nods, biting his lip a little as their hands make contact, before throwing the fiend arm over his shoulder and proceed to walk with the rest as they head back to Trema.

The moment they reach, Jimin holds up the staff rather boldly. "We got your Tonberry spirit."

Trema is half-asleep when he responds, "Ooh, really? Give it to me."

"On one condition," Jimin says, holding the staff out of Trema's reach, and Trema groans, "What do you want, whippersnapper?"

"You let this spirit go after you have a look at it."

"What kind of...what are you talking about? I didn't ask you to go in there offering the Nirvana as a prize just to have a look at the spirit and let it go!" Trema splutters.

"This spirit has been through a lot," Jimin says. "It's only right if it gets to rest after the whole ordeal."

"Is that what you really think, boy?" Trema stands up from his seat, and he comes up to Jimin's height. "Did you think that the little thing would get to rest after being sent to the Farplane?"

"I-Isn't it?" Jimin isn't sounding too sure of himself now.

"It doesn't," Trema says. "The Tonberry would suffer in Oblivion, and it'll never know true peace. Let it live with me and I promise I won't put it through too much."

"How do I know that what you say is the truth?" Jimin asks, suspicious of the old man.

"Been there, done that," Trema says. "Scored myself a friendship while I was at it." 

"I...I think he's telling the truth."

Everyone turns towards the voice that just spoke up. Hoseok.

"I-I mean, I'm pretty sure what he's saying is the truth."

"Well, you died before..." Namjoon seems to consider Hoseok's story.

"Oh," Yoongi nods. "Alright."

"Right then, the staff, if you would please," Trema takes the staff from Jimin's hold. "Right, come on out!"

Jimin watches in amazement as the pyreflies drift out from the staff, gathering in front of Trema and the Tonberry materializes again, its green body, yellow eyes and knife still recognizable, making Jimin shiver all over.

"Isn't she a beauty!" Trema grins as he pokes the Tonberry's cheek, in which the Tonberry doesn't respond aggressively, only trying to shove the finger away from its face.

"How did you do that?" Namjoon looks impressed.

"Y'see, this weapon here tames the fiend. The fiend will be subdued...unless provoked," says Trema. "But usually, they'll follow my orders." Trema then heads on to the inside of his tent. "I promised you something, anyway. The Nirvana." Trema returns with a gleaming staff, looking like it came straight out from Heaven.

"There, kid. Make good use of it," Trema says. "But it's just a regular staff right now. You need the Celestial Mirror to power it up. The Caladbolg too."

Jimin nods and bows, "Thanks so much!"

"No problem," Trema says, waving a hand. "Come look for me if you need anything monster-related."

"Okay!" Jimin does the universal prayer, before deciding to head back to the Al Bhed rest stop they encountered somewhere in the Calm Lands, where they'd usually wait for the Farenheit to arrive.

****************************************************************

"I'm stuffed!" Jimin pats his full belly, watching as Jungkook takes his tray and puts it with his own through a small tray deposit on his right. Because they are not Al Bhed, it'll be real awkward for them to sit with the other Al Bhed, and thus Jimin and Jungkook opt to have their dinner in the airship, just like the rest.

"Tae said we can go to Macalania Woods tomorrow, to power up our weapons just like how he powered up his Godhand," Jungkook says. "Aren't you excited? It's a Celestial Weapon!"

"I don't know," Jimin weighs the staff in his hand. "It looks like a normal staff to me."

"That's because you haven't powered it up yet!" Jungkook cries, with a grin on his face.

"But Tae said his Godhand can't be powered up," says Jimin. "He said Buddy said Godhand is missing a part."

"You're kidding," Jungkook shakes his head, before eyeing Jimin's staff. "You think Nirvana might be missing some parts too?"

"Hope not," Jimin says, turning the staff around, before showing Jungkook two things embedded in the staff. "Good, it's okay. Buddy said one of them is a Sigil, and the other is a Crest, according to the Archives, and that they're the things that give the weapon power. He said that if you have both, you can just power up the weapon in Macalania, but if you don't, you need to search for them." 

"Wow," Jungkook nods. "You sure know your stuff."

"Nah, Tae just gave me a crash course," Jimin says, putting the staff down. "Let's go to sleep, alright? I'm bushed."

Jungkook notes the time: ten at night. They should really be going to sleep.

There's a knock on the door, and Jimin whines about not wanting to get up. Jungkook, having no other choice, heads over to the door to open it and see who's outside.

"H-Have you seen Yoongi?" Hoseok asks, eyes worried.

"Nope," Jungkook shakes his head. "What happened?"

"Yoon...Yoongi's gone," Hoseok says. "I can't find him anywhere."

"What?" Jimin appears at the doorway. "You can't find him?"

"Yeah," Hoseok says. "I was in the shower, and one moment he was there, and the next, he's gone."

"That's weird," Jimin scratches his head. "Tell you what, let's go look for him."

Hoseok agrees, Jimin sets off, worried, and Jungkook has an unexplainable bad feeling at the pit of his stomach.

****************************************************

"What d'ya want?" Trema is drinking his daily fix of caffeine (which the chocobo trainer is happy to give him one of every day from the Al Bhed rest stop) when he senses movement behind him. Being dead for a thousand years has taught him more than it should.

"You deal with monsters, right?"

Trema nods, turning back to face the stranger, "'Course I do. Like I said, what d'ya want?"

"Bet no one ever asked you for this favour before," the stranger drops something heavy to the ground. "It's a challenging task that I don't even know if it's possible to be accomplished." 

"I like a challenge," Trema says. "So, what's the job? If it's challenging enough, I might not even ask for a price!"

"I want you to sew this arm onto me," the stranger says, yellow hair glistening under the moonlight. "I need this arm."

"Oh...it's a challenge all right," Trema smiles, putting his cup of coffee aside. The stranger moves towards the man and holds out the monster's arm.

"Varuna's arm...good one. What's your name? I didn't catch it just now. Al Bhed, are you?" 

"Yes...my name is Min Yoongi."

*******************************************************************