Trials and Grievances

Final Bangtan Fantasy X

"Jimin's not breathing, Tae!" Jungkook can't stop the tears escaping his eyes.

The woman looks down at Jimin's lifeless body, looking particularly solemn. "Looks like I'm too late." 

"Too late?" Seokjin, who's rushed over, huffs and puffs. "You knew this was going to happen?" 

"Yes...I did," the woman says. She looks around her. "We should be heading to safety. Come on." She brings her hands up, and three giant flowers appear, as big as Rafflesia but way prettier and more aromatic. The three flowers burst open, revealing...a praying mantis, a ladybug and a bee? They look like...

"The Magus Sisters," the woman says. "They will handle things here. Bahamut will bring you all to safety." 

"Wait, I'm not done with you!" Yoongi tries to grab the woman's wrist, but he passes right through her. Yoongi nearly tumbles to the ground as he stumbles to his feet, a small device clinking to the ground. "You haven't explained anything yet." 

"I will in due time," the woman presses her lips in to a firm line. "Just go first." 

The dragon lands, as the three Aeons take over fighting. Belgemine doesn't command them--just lets them do whatever they want. Jungkook carries Jimin onto the dragon, as Taehyung, Namjoon, Hoseok, Yoongi and Seokjin scramble onto Bahamut. 

"To Bevelle temple...now."

Bahamut nods, roars, and takes to the skies. Namjoon watches as the woman gets further and further from view as they get further and further away from Bevelle's Parliament House.

*************************************************************

Jimin feels like he's drowning, as if he's in a sea of water. He struggles and gurgles water as he thrashes about, trying to get air. Anything. But then a hand...grabs his and he's pulled up to the surface. Jimin coughs and splutters water as he realizes where he is--in a field full of flowers. Right, this must be heaven. He must have died.

This can't be, right? He...died? Jimin looks around, frantic now. Is his how Hoseok felt? When he died? This...loneliness and sense of loss? The way he'd suddenly get from sad to angry to...he doesn't know anymore. Jimin hauls himself up onto the river banks, collapsing on the field of flowers. For thousands and thousands of acres, there is nothing but flowers...and flowers...and flowers.

Maybe it's all a dream. Yes, just a lucid nightmare that he needs to wake up from.

But no matter how much Jimin tries to pinch himself, to try to sleep it off, he realizes he can't feel pain...nor can he fall asleep. Defeated now, Jimin stands up, and comes face to face with a girl. This girl has bluish skin, not to mention blue locks of hair. She's standing with her arms folded, seemingly not caring about anything in the world.

"Hey, you look farmiliar," Jimin rubs his eyes. He seems to recognize the girl, and at the same time, not really.

"Yeah, I know I do," the girl seems to scoff at Jimin. 

"A-Am I dead?" 

"Only you can answer that for yourself," the girl says. "Besides, you have an audience. Queen Bee wants to see you." 

"Queen Bee?" Jimin looks dumbfounded, but he follows the girl as she walks towards a waterfall, and passes right through the water, almost as if she doesn't exist at all. "H-Hey, wait up!" 

Jimin expects to feel the water raining down on him as he walks into the waterfall, but he feels nothing as he explores the passageway in the hole behind the waterfall. Sparkling crystals greet him and light up the way, lighting up the light blue hair belonging to his guide through this place. Jimin makes the arduous journey of climbing up on the various ledges and footholds as he makes his way up the mountain and cliff of sorts.

Finally, he sees light. Jimin has to shield his eyes from the light as he climbs out of the hall, finding himself on a cliff, filled with...even more flowers. However, the girl with blue hair is now standing in front of him, talking to another girl, who has a tiara atop her crown of blond hair and a flowing, red dress. The two turn as he approaches, and Jimin notices a tiny boy sitting on a rock, seeming to be contemplating his life choices. That boy looks somewhat familiar too...somehow.

"Oh...Park Jimin, I presume?" the lady with the tiara walks over, and extends a hand to shake. Jimin shakes her hand, as awkwardly as he already is. "I can't say it's a pleasure to meet you, seeing as we're in the Farplane..." 

Right, the only way to get to the Farplane is to die. That's it. She just confirmed it all. He's dead. 

The woman notices the tears forming in Jimin's eyes, because she says, albeit a little flustered, "Oh my mama! For Yevon's sake, please don't cry!"

But Jimin can't help himself. It's a little much to ask of a newly-dead person. He can feel his lower lip wobble as he feels the tears coming out. Soon, if he doesn't stop himself, he's going to bawl like a newborn baby, which he doesn't want to, seeing as this lady is possibly that Queen that the first girl with the blue hair was talking about.

"What if I told you there's a way back?" 

Jimin's eyes widen. "How? I'm not an unsent."

"Yeah, but there's still a way," the woman says. "It's the Trials of Bevelle." 

"Trials of Bevelle? You mean Bevelle's Cloister of Trials?" 

"Yup," the girl at the side pipes up. "Go there, get through it, and see Barry." 

"Barry?" 

"Bahamut," says Lesca, shushing the girl. "Second-in-command of the Aeons." 

"Even though the Sisters are way better!" the girl calls out, grinning at Lesca's infuriated expression.

"Whoa, you mean you guys are Aeons?" Jimin stares wide-eyed at Lesca. "Who are you?" 

"I'm not an Aeon," Lesca clears . "The girl behind me is Shiva, and the kid is Valefor." 

"I'm not a kid. I'm just an adult stuck in a kid's body," Valefor pipes up. "Ifrit and Ixion aren't here today, because Ifrit wants to train and Ixion is just plain lazy. Bahamut's in his temple settling admin, the Sisters are still on vacation, Yojimbo is in his temple as always and so is Anima." 

"W-Whoa! Y-You mean I get to meet you just because I died? You mean..." 

"What did you take us for?" Shiva grins, moving over to Jimin, her face inches from his and Jimin swears he's blushing. "Statues of stones in the ground?" 

"U-U-Uh, no!" Jimin nearly stumbles backwards, feet scrabbling for ground to steady himself on. "I-I didn't mean it that way!" 

"Then it's settled!" Shiva grins. "He's going to the Bevelle Trials!" 

***************************************************************

"Rigor mortis is setting in," Seokjin mutters, noticing Jimin's body getting stiff and rigid. They're in a clearing in Macalania Woods, near Calm Lands, all spread out, taking shifts to look after Jimin...or rather, his body. Seokjin just can't call it a corpse yet.

Yoongi nods his head absentmindedly, staring out into the pool of water beside them. He's sitting on a rock, fiddling with the spikes on his blitzball in one hand. Seokjin doesn't even know if Yoongi's taking anything in. 

It's not just Yoongi, though he can't see the rest of them, he knows. Hoseok, Jungkook, Taehyung and Namjoon are somewhere else in the forest, though he doesn't know where. When that woman comes, he'll ask her questions, but not kindly. They deserve to know some answers. And that dragon Aeon isn't helping either. It seems to be just sitting there, watching over Jimin as much as Seokjin is, arms folded across its chest and wings spread out. 

All Seokjin can do is wait...and wait...and wait.

****************************************************************

Namjoon slams his fist into the tree trunk again and again. He feels the stinging bruises as he punches the tree, but he can't help it. It's killing him inside, knowing he's the reason that Jimin's dead. What are Guardians supposed to do without a Summoner? He already lost Ontario. He doesn't want to lose Jimin too. 

Namjoon grunts as he hits the tree trunk again, his sword lying by his side. 

Maybe it's just his guilt speaking, but Namjoon thinks that Jimin would be better off without him. Maybe...the whole group will be better off without him.

*****************************************************************

Taehyung takes one step at a time, afraid that he'd just topple over if he rushed. His mind's a little cloudy, and he's scared. Scared of what might happen if Jimin never came back. Their whole group is falling apart. Jungkook ran off earlier--he just can't take it anymore, and no one bothered to run after him.

Step. Step. 

Taehyung watches as a blue butterfly flits across his face. Would it be weird if he compared their group to a butterfly, and that they're a whole, and that if one of them is gone...it will be like a butterfly without a wing? 

Yeah, maybe.

At the moment, all Taehyung knows is to walk...and walk.

***************************************************************** 

Hoseok dismisses the flame he conjures up, before conjuring up another ball of fire, a bigger one this time. He wonders how many balls of flame he'll be able to conjure up before it burns him away. All away. He ought to go look for the others soon, but he knows Jimin's in a way better place. He's not stupid. He died and went to the Farplane before, and it's way nicer than it is on Spira, mostly because 1), there's no people. The only people present are Aeons, Lesca and her bodyguard and the unsent who are called on by Lesca to the Farplane...or simply people just called on by the Queen of the Farplane.

Hoseok grows a bigger flame this time, letting it burn and shimmer in the blues of Macalania Woods, as he watches a red butterfly fly past, batting its wings and ignoring him. Even the red butterflies have sensed his emotions and choose to avoid him. 

Hoseok dismisses the flame, before conjuring up a bigger one, the flame singeing his hair now. He curses before moving his face away.

Maybe, just maybe, if he prays hard enough, Jimin will just come back to them.

******************************************************************

Jungkook sniffles, unable to contain his tears as they flow freely down his face as he runs, and runs, and runs. He doesn't even know where he's going anymore. Jungkook wipes his eyes, trying to stop the never-ending tears as they continue to leak out from his tear glands, flowing down his face, dampening his skin even more.

Eventually, he reaches a large pool of water in Macalania Woods, and he hides in one of the trees. He hears music--probably the Macalania Musician Trio, but he hears them, and he knows how good they are, but even they seem like they know a tragedy just occurred. Jungkook leans against the tree as he listens to the music--a slow, sad melody. 

He can't help but think how Jimin would like that song. His brother likes sad songs anyway. No, Jimin isn't exactly Jungkook's brother, but they grew up together, when all hope is abandoned and they found each other, not to mention Tae, but Jungkook was always closer to Jimin anyway, since Jimin always treated him as the baby of the group, never once as a strong Ronso that can do anything himself.

That's the only thing Jungkook hated about Jimin anyway. The fact that he'd baby Jungkook all the time. 

But maybe, just maybe, if he ever got a chance, he'd tell Jimin that's the trait about him that he loves the most.

*******************************************************************

"Whoa! These are the Trials?" Jimin looks around at the blue and white walls around him. He can feel the pulse of the energy of the fayth as it thrums from inside the temple. 

"Yeah," Shiva nods. "Bahamut's waiting for you all the way at the inner chamber! Now go!" She pushes him in, and Jimin stumbles in, screaming a little he hears Shiva's laughter of "You scream like a girl" before the door behind him shuts and he's left in complete darkness.

But Jimin's not a fan of darkness. Not at all. On shaky feet, he begins to try to feel out the walls in the pitch-black of the temple, that is, until he sees a light--a Bevelle sphere--in an indentation on the wall and the picks it up, before bumping into a pedestal when he tries to walk a few meters in front of him. Realizing its a pedestal, Jimin places the sphere in it, grinning to himself as the room lights up at last.

Nope, he hates the dark and will never like it.

Jimin looks ahead--there's a path, which is mapped out in a series of glowing red and blue lines, but when Jimin tries to go near it, energy repels him. He looks at the pedestal, and an idea strikes him. He goes over to the pedestal and pushes it towards the path. The barrier instantly breaks and the pedestal falls into place, where it becomes a platform in which Jimin can ride.

It's an elaborate puzzle of sorts, and this is the first time Jimin's doing the Cloister of Trials alone. In Besaid, he had Jungkook and Hoseok, and in Kilika, he had Taehyung and Kookie. In Djose, he was accompanied by his entire team, and in Macalania, he had Hoseok with him. Now, Bevelle...Jimin gulps. One of the hardest Cloister of Trials ever. He clenches his fist as he steps on the platform and begins his journey.

***************************************************

"Oui caa yhodrehk, Brother?" Cid calls from his seat, cup of joe in hand. His pilot, Brother, yells him an answer, but Cid doesn't really listen. "Myht!" 

Brother shouts back a "Oac!" and prepares to land. Cid gulps down another mouthful of coffee and places the coffee on his desktop. 

"Hey, Cid, there's no sign of 'em," Buddy, Brother's co-pilot, calls out. His eyes are glued to the radar of the Farenheit, the ancient Airship they're travelling on. Right now, they're hovering over Bevelle, all Buddy can pick up at the moment is the mass destruction caused by the battle between Sinspawn Spydra and a Summoner's Aeons, three of which are fighting right now.

Cid pushes a few buttons as Brother shouts a "We're on the ground!" in Al Bhed. The Airship immediately becomes invisible, an ultra-cool feature of the airship that Cid always liked. 

He heard the kids will be here, just not sure where. Their Al Bhed contacts all around the world has updated Cid on their activities, be it acquiring an Aeon from a temple or simply just a day of rest. It's sickening, to think that one person's life has to be sacrificed for the ten years' worth of peace of people who don't even deserve it. People like Maester Mika and Maester Kinoc and...there's just too many to name.

Cid grits his teeth. Al Bhed been kidnapping Summoners for as long as he can remember, all to help them get new lives, relieve them of their burden and most of all, to save them from their penultimate doom. The Al Bhed always believed there's been a way to beat Sin without Summoners. He's just frustrated and surprised that this Summoner managed to evade their radar for so long.

"He's not here," Buddy says, walking towards their leader. "Or rather, they're not here. I don't know why the radar picked up on them here." 

"If the radar picked up on them, they must be here!" Brother yells. 

"Technically, the younger one didn't have a tracking device," Buddy says. "It's the older one." 

"The older one?" Brother looks confused, and Buddy wants so desperately to smack his forehead. "There are two missing, and only one of them has the tracking device on him." 

"Who, this guy?" Brother reaches for a photograph in his back pocket.

"Yeah, that one is a traitor," says Buddy, pointing to the photograph. He picks out another one, a rather blurry picture, but you can still tell who it is on it. "This one was kidnapped since birth. Was sure he was Zuu feed, but looks like he escaped." 

"What's his name?" Brother asks, looking back at the traitor.

"It's a really weird one," Cid says. "Weirder than my own, and that's saying something. It's Min Yoongi." 

"And the other one's called Taehyung. They're really weird names, for an Al Bhed, I say," Buddy says. "There's obviously nothing here...hmm?" 

He notices something on the ground--shining. He picks it up, and calls for Cid. "Hey, Cid. Here's your precious tracking device." 

"You're kidding right?" Cid throws his hands into the air. "That's it, we're finished. We'll never find them." 

"They were here, just now," says Buddy. "At least that piece of information was accurate. Come on--they may still be in the vicinity." 

************************************************************