Caregiver

Kindergarten
Seulgi wasn't quite sure how they ended up in the Bae's household again. She never agreed to giving up her date night with Joy, and be the babysitter for Irene and Wendy. She was not annoyed, but she was confused, like she always was.
 
"Thank you, Joy, Seulgi, for coming. We'll be back at ten." Mrs. Bae shook their hands and entered the car. The two pairs of parents were on a double date. Seulgi could not be more envious of them.
 
"Don't be sad. We are kinda having a double date, if you think of it." Joy sensed her gurlfriend's disappointment and consoled her.
 
"With the kids?"
 
"With the kids."
 
Seulgi's negative emotions were swept away once the two children came running towards them at the entrance. Their energy made the two teachers smile.
 
"Ms. Park! Ms. Kang!" Fluff ball greeted them. She opened her arms and asked for a hug.
 
From Seulgi.
 
"Aww, Wendy, you don't like me anymore?" Joy cooed jokingly, yet Wendy took it wrongly.
 
"No, it isn't like this! I still like you! But I also like Ms. Kang! I like you both!"
 
"You're really cute." Joy ruffled Wendy's hair after hearing her nervous explanation.
 
"Wendy, what about me?" Irene crossed her arms and waited for her response.
 
"Irene, you're not the same. I love you."
 
"I don't know who is the smoother one here." Joy commented in amazement.
 
It was four in the afternoon, so they had time to spare before preparing dinner.
 
Truthfully, Seulgi and Joy were unfamiliar with being babysitters, so they did not know what activities were available to the two bored children.
 
"Tell us a story." Wendy suggested.
 
"Like a bedtime story?"
 
"Something like that, but you have to make it up!"
 
Joy had an idea. She and Seulgi would take turns participating in writing the story. No matter how absurd the other person made the story, the next person must continue the story, until they both were satisfied with the ending.
 
"I'll go first." Joy declared.
 
Once upon a time, there was bear named Seulgom living in the cities. She pretended to be human and went to college.
 
Seulgom adjusted well in the human world. Soon, she had already lived in dorm for a year. This semester on, she would be a sophomore.
 
She applied to the student organization to be a volunteer for freshmen move in day. A tall girl walked in, carrying boxes of various sizes.
 
Something about the girl intrigued Seulgom, so she went ahead and greeted the girl. The new girl was startled, and dropped all her belongings on the ground.
 
Seulgom apologized and helped gather her belongings. The girl thanked her and introduced herself as Sooyoung. Seulgom gave her name in return. They found out that they were both early childhood education majors and immediately fell into an easy rhythm of conversation.
 
Sooyoung admired Seulgom a lot. She wished to work with her, but, due to their age difference, Sooyoung would graduate a year behind. However, there was a way around it, as long as she was willing to take no breaks between semesters.
 
Sooyoung did it.
 
They ended up working together.
 
They were inseparable.
 
They were a perfect match.
 
"THE END! Just let me have the last words!"
 
"What happened afterwards?"
 
"Then they realized they were in love and lived happily ever after!"
 
Irene and Wendy were overjoyed.
 
"Much generic fairytale ending. Much wow." Joy was disappointed in themselves for creating such an ordinary story.
 
"What else would you have added?"
 
"Vampires?"
 
"And you complain about me talking about goo last time."
 
"Just an idea."
 
Seulgi watched over the kids while Joy prepared their dinner, because no one, including the bear herself, trusted Seulgi's cooking skills, after hearing the tale of the very much failed fried rice she attempted to "cook" last month. Although she would argue that it did not fail. Rather, she underestimated the amount of rice she cooked.
 
They ended up eating only fried rice for a week.
 
"Kids, dinner's ready!"
 
Seulgi watched as Joy served dinner.
 
"Why are you looking at me?" She sensed the heated gaze from her girlfriend.
 
"Nothing."
 
Seulgi shook her head and smiled.
 
Joy would make a great wife and mother.
 
It was only seven o'clock when they finished dinner. The four sat in the living room and decided to watch a movie. They chose Mary Poppins because it suited their current state; babysitter and kids. However, the babysitters were less skilled than Mary Poppins, and the kids were extremely well-behaved compared to the brats in the movie.
 
Wendy sang along to the songs while the others listened. It got to the part where Mary Poppins was putting the kids to bed.
 
The scene made Irene sleepy. She climbed on to the sofa and rest her head on Wendy's shoulder, and wrapped her arms around her waist. Wendy, in return, kept still and stopped singing, as to not disturb Irene.
 
"I love you." Irene murmured.
 
"Sweet dreams."
 
Soon, with nothing to do but stare at the screen, Wendy followed suit and fell into a slumber. Their heads rested against each other's and fingers interlaced.
 
Witnessing the event happening beside her, Seulgi tugged on Joy's sleeves, signaling for her to come closer.
 
"What?" Joy whispered, aware that the two kids had fallen asleep.
 
Instead of answering, Seulgi pulled her closer and let her head rest on her lap.
 
"Sleep."
 
She leant down and pecked Joy on the lips.
 
"I'm not sleepy."
 
Joy yawned as she complained to Seulgi.
 
"I'll take care of them. Don't worry."
 
"I'm not worrying."
 
"Then sleep."
 
"Fine."
 
A few minutes later, Joy was dead to the world.
 
"Not sleepy, huh?"
 
As creepy as it sounded, a sleeping Joy was one of Seulgi's favorite things.
 
Sometimes, Seulgi forgot that Joy was younger than she was, because her personality was so strong. However, when she was asleep, she looked so adorable. Her hard edges softened.
 
"Dumb bear... Embarrassing..."
 
She forgot Joy spoke in her sleep.
 
"Cute bear costume..."
 
Maybe Joy was dreaming about Seulgi. She wished she could see what Joy was dreaming.
 
"Sleep well, Joy. I love you so much."
 
"...I love you, too."