Family

Kindergarten

Sorry, this was difficult to write. I'll try harder next time. 

*

Irene often saw her parents acting affectionately with each other. They would laugh, hug, and kiss. She wondered if she could be like that with Wendy when they got married. This was why she always kissed Wendy, it was to rehearse for their future, so it will not appear awkward. It was nothing malicious. Wendy did not refuse her, anyway.
 
However, aside from giving kisses, how did a family truly function? Maybe she should ask her teachers.
 
"Ms. Park, what do families do?" Irene tapped on Joy's shoulder to get her attention.
 
Sadly, the teacher was too focused on her game, Counter Strike, which she was lurking in the dark alley, waiting for the last opponent to appear, and didn't notice who she was talking to.
 
"They fight." Joy blurted out what was currently her main task and Seulgi elbowed her stomach because of the terrible yet accurate answer.
 
Joy groaned out of pain and immediately realized her mistake. Fortunately, it was the last round of the game, she quickly killed the last enemy on the opposing team and the system announced the victory of their team. She exited the game, turned to Irene, and further elaborated her response.
 
"I mean, they fight, sometimes, but they also love each other a lot." Joy corrected.
 
"Well, let us teach you about family today." Seulgi suggested.
 
*
 
Seulgi drew a horizontal line on the white board, labeling the ends with "mom" and "dad", and another line extending downwards to "me".
 
"Your father and mother, they are husband and wife."
 
"Does it have to be husband and wife?"
 
"Well, it can also be two husbands or two wives, whatever floats your boat, and the law's. Ugh, the law." Joy answered.
 
"So Wendy and I can get married if we go to a country, like Canada, where the law allows?"
 
"Exactly."
 
*
 
Next, Seulgi explained the concept of siblings by sketching two dotted lines from "me".
 
"If your parents have other children, they are your siblings."
 
"Does my pet hamster count?" Wendy inquired.
 
"Yes, they can be. Speaking of pets, I have an annoying bear at home. She doesn't wake up, doesn't clean up, doesn't do anything..." Joy started to complain to her students.
 
Her words stabbed Seulgi's heart forcefully, multiple times. The open wounds began to bleed.
 
But I don't care what they say, I'm in love with you... Keep bleeding. Keep, keep, bleeding in love.
 
"Stop singing!" Joy covered Seulgi's mouth with her palm, almost blocked her from breathing, and she probably tried to.
 
*
 
On top of the family tree, Seulgi put down "grandparents".
 
"They are the parents of your parents."
 
"Wow, they must be old." Wendy marveled.
 
"Most of them are, but in the case of teen moms with teen moms, they can be grandparents before thirty years old."
 
"So Ms. Park and Ms. Kang are going to be grandparents soon?" Irene concluded, however, she missed the most important criteria.
 
"I am not married!"
 
"Yet! But we will, soon! I promise!" Seulgi assured.
 
"I haven't said yes!" Joy smacked Seulgi's head, again, for the uncountable time of the year. Maybe this was why Seulgi's brain slowed down at such a rapid rate.
 
Lastly, the teachers introduced the aunt, uncle, and cousin concept to the students. However, it was knowledge that they had known because when they first met with the relatives, their parents had taught them about it. Due to that, the teachers just skimmed through the subject.
 
"Now that you know what a family is like, why don't we act it out? Ms. Kang and I will show you an example, you two can learn and develop your own version."
 
From a box that contained names of pairs of different family members, the teachers drew out a piece of paper.
 
"Alright, so we have 'grandmother' and 'granddaughter' scenario."
 
*
 
Seulgi the grandmother ambled into the living room with a slouched stance. Her granddaughter Joy, who was eager to watch the cartoon show, Chicken, that was about to broadcast, pushed past her and rushed into the space. Joy plopped down into the sofa, taking up all the space and leaving her grandmother with nowhere to sit.
 
Seulgi coughed and the loud noise overpowered the sound emitting from the television, Joy grumbled out of annoyance.
 
"Ugh, could you keep it down? I'm trying to know more about my dear friend Chicken here." Joy sighed.
 
Seulgi apologized, then proceeded to wash the dishes left in the kitchen. Because there were no gloves for her to use, the task was proving to be more difficult than usual. The plate slipped out of her hand and fell into the sink, creating a deafening bang.
 
"Do you want to die? Stay there, I have an idea." Joy's voice thundered from the living room.
 
Joy stormed into the kitchen and picked up a cleaver. She raised her arm and struck Seulgi's skull with the weapon.
 
Seulgi dropped on the floor with blood flowing out of her wound, laying there motionlessly. Joy checked her breath, making sure that she will not wake up ever again, and returned to her show.
 
*
 
Of course, that was not what happened, it was all Joy's imagination. When had she ever been violent towards Seulgi? Never! They had agreed to let Joy be the grandmother and Seulgi be the granddaughter.
 
"Granny!" Seulgi hugged Joy.
 
"Hey, Seul, have you eaten? I cooked a lot, especially for you."
 
Seulgi sat on the chair and devoured the dishes on the dining table, Joy joined her after putting away her apron. They ended up consuming an amount equivalent to half of the food on Wendy's, the restaurant's, menu.
 
"Alright, now, buuuuurp, is your turn." Seulgi belched, her abs had gone on a vacation. Hopefully they will return soon.
 
Wendy picked out a piece of paper, the words on it caused Seulgi to scream out of happiness.
 
"Wives! I threw it inside just for fun! I didn't know you would get this."
 
"Yeah, right, we only prepared two choices, and we had the grandmother one. You obviously didn't know they would get this. Sure." Joy ridiculed.
 
*
 
Irene entered the room and looked around for Wendy, she finally found her wife in the kitchen cooking dinner. Wendy wasn't aware of her presence because she was humming a song and couldn't hear the steps of Irene.
 
"Eek!" Wendy let out a yelp when Irene hugged her from behind. Irene kissed her cheeks, once, twice, and thrice. Well, maybe not exactly on her cheeks.
 
"Hello." Wendy greeted.
 
"It's me. Do you need help?" Irene offered, but Wendy shook her head.
 
"Dinner is almost ready. Could you go set up the table?"
 
Irene neatly placed the silverwares on the table, when she was done, Wendy came out with the dish she prepared.
 
They shared the spaghetti, which reminded Irene of The Lady and The Tramp. She decided to recreate the famous scene. Irene inched closer to Wendy and put her arms around her shoulder to prevent her from escaping.
 
Puzzled by Irene's action, Wendy slightly her head towards her direction. Wendy sensed a foreign touch on her lips that turned out to be Irene's lips. They stared into each other's eyes and stayed still for what felt like eternity.
 
Seulgi silently shed tears of joy, so it was both her tears and Joy's. The children were so into their roles, perhaps it was destined.
 
The young couple regained their consciousness after hearing Seulgi's increasingly loud cries. Irene and Wendy followed their teachers' example and ate quite an amount, although not as much.
 
"They have potential to beating us, appetite-wise." Joy felt threatened.
 
"Let's show them a better written script."
 
*
 
"I'm home." Seulgi sing-songed as she walked into the house.
 
"Back to create more mess? Great." Joy was organizing the cabinets that contained all of Seulgi's drawing supplies.
 
"I'm sorry."
 
"No, you're not. You never clean up after yourself. I'm sick of your crap. I'm out." Joy punched the wall to express her anger.
 
"Joy, please."
 
"Seulgi, please. This, what we used to call us, is not working." Joy pointed at themselves.
 
"I bought KFC, so please..." Seulgi held up the box of KFC.
 
"Why didn't you say that first? I was gonna, like, perform a perfect Rachel Berry Style diva storm out!"
 
"Sorry that I'm slow."
 
"Never mind, I'll eat while you arrange your crap. You slack, I smack."
 
"This is totally fiction!" Seulgi reassured the kids, Joy did not oppose, so it was credible.
 
"Kang! These chicken wings are props! You're so dead!" Joy chased Seulgi around, while the kids watched in wonder.
 
The chaos ended when the parents came to pick up the kids. Seulgi and Joy were still huffing and puffing when they bid goodbye. The parents took it as a common occurrence.
 
*
 
"Today was really fun! Wendy and I got married! " Irene told her mother.
 
"Oh, I missed the wedding?" Mrs. Bae was disappointed.
 
"No, we just practised our married life. We will invite you to the wedding!"
 

"I certainly look forward to it."

*

Note: Aside from Bleeding Love, did you notice another song?