First Meet

Kindergarten

Irene Bae, 4, had moved to Seoul, and due to that, she had also transferred to a new kindergarten. It was a great decision of her parents, because this school promised to have the least possible number of students in a single class. She may not appreciate it right now, but she certainly will soon.

 

The day Irene dreaded so much had arrived. The school was a five minute walk from home, and her parents especially delayed their work time to accompany her.

 

It was time to part, and Irene surely did not want to go in there. Her tears were threatening to fall and Mrs. Bae knelt down to comfort her.

 

"Oh, my Princess, please don't cry."

 

"Can you be brave for us? I trust you." Mr. Bae added.

 

Irene bit her lip and prevented herself from crying, but she was still afraid. It was not school that was scaring her, nor the fear of separation, but...

 

"Weird." Irene pointed at the two women standing at the school entrance.

 

Well, if you want to be specific, there was a woman in a Brown bear costume, without her mask, and another woman wearing a chicken outfit, or was it turkey? Nonetheless, they look ridiculous.

 

Both of the older Bae's were, too, startled. This trait must have been passed on to Irene.

 

"Th-they are the teachers. Right? They're welcoming you!" Mr. Bae swore he sweated as the two animal-lookalike-humans waved at him.

 

"Hello! Is this our new student Irene? I'm Kang Seulgi, and this is Ms. Joy Park! Welcome!" Seulgi clapped excitedly.

 

Irene stared at Ms. Kang, examined her from head to toe. She finally made a conclusion.

 

"H-hi, I'm Irene."

 

"You're adorable! Oh, there comes our little angel Wendy!"

 

Irene did not see said Wendy, but a white fluff ball that crashed into Ms. Park's embrace.

 

"Ms. Park! Ms. Kang!" Fluff ball Wendy giggled as Joy tickled her.

 

Irene turned her full attention on the girl. Her smile was mesmerizing. Irene poked the girl on her shoulder shyly.

 

"Hi, I'm Wendy!" Wendy turned around and introduced herself.

 

"I'm Irene."

 

Seulgi and Joy watched the cute exchange of words on the side. They couldn't help but feel the hearts of them flutter.

 

"Joy, can I tell you something strange?"

 

"That you think you ship your students? Because I do." They laughed.

 

The bell had rung, signaling the beginning of classes. The two teachers halted their conversation and asked the kids to bid goodbye to their parents.

 

"Bye, Irene. Have fun!"

 

With Wendy here, Irene knew she would enjoy school very much.

 

*

 

The school wasn't joking when it guaranteed small classes. Irene and Wendy were the only students in the class.

 

Seulgi started explaining to Irene about how the classes function. Before Irene joined them, the two teachers and Wendy collaborated with the 'Lovely' class, led by the two Ms. Lee's, but now that they have more students, the principal decided to make even smaller classes.

 

"However, on some days, we will meet up with them."

 

"What is our class's new name?" Wendy inquired.

 

"We haven't thought of that." Joy replied.

 

"Hmm, why don't we change that today? We can work on it together!" Seulgi suggested.

 

If you think that the two teachers were lazy, then you were mistaken. They were simply forgetful and extremely lazy. Kidding, this was where they ignite the creativity of the kids. They had everything planned, or so they said.

 

"Let's think of the similarities between you two."

 

Joy gave them a list of questions, and the result was surprising to say the least.

 

Irene's Favorite:
Activity: Dancing
Character: Arale
Color: Purple
Place: Dreamland
Season: Spring

 

Wendy's Favorite:
Activity: Singing
Character: Olaf
Color: Blue
Place: Neverland
Season: Winter

 

"Let's try something else." Joy wiped her sweat and nudged the bear.

 

It was Seulgi's attempt, she asked two questions.

 

"Do you like Wendy?" Irene nodded.

 

"Do you like Irene?" Wendy did an identical gesture.

 

"Let's call them Wenrene. Oh, this is beauti--"

 

"This is not the time to make ship names!" Joy smacked Seulgi's head.

 

"But they look so cute..." Seulgi pouted, her voice fading into a whisper when she saw Joy's death glare.

 

"Alright, maybe I overreacted." Joy calmed down.

 

"What about a more generalized name, like 'Family'?" Seulgi proposed her idea.

 

"OK."

 

"That's it? That's your reaction?"

 

"Yes."

 

The first day of class 'Family' went pretty well, aside from the fact that Joy performed violence in front of the two students.

 

"Violence is never the answer. I was wrong for doing that. Sorry, Seulgi." Joy bowed, she had to show a good example to her students.

 

"Huh, for what?" The bear, who was preparing the snacks, had already forgotten about the incident.

 

Joy clenched her fists, and relaxed when she was reminded of her own words. However, sometimes, you gotta be bold, just throw a rock at her face.

 

*

 

Time flew by and the parents were here to pick up the children. The Bae family and Shon family were chatting together excitedly. After thanking the teachers for their hardwork, the two families headed to different directions.

 

*

 

"Wendy, how was school?" Mr. Shon hugged his precious daughter.

 

"I met Irene! She is very nice!"

 

"Indeed she is." Mrs. Shon agreed.

 

*

 

"How was school?"

 

"I met Wendy. I like her."

 

"We do too." Her parents replied.

 

*

 

"Oh, hello, this is unexpected." The Shon's stood face to face with the Bae's.

 

"Nice to meet you all, once again."

 

It turned out they lived next door to each other, although their returning routes were not the same. It was safe to assume that they will be spending most of their time together from now on.