Chapter 8

Letters from Mr. Stranger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 C h a p t e r  E i g h t

 

The music of Songs of the Swans echoed in the dance room as Naeun sat crossed leg on the wooden floor, her eyes squinted towards the notebook on her lap. She had been busy with the audition for Swan Lake play which would be held in a week that she forgot to reply the letter she received more than a month ago. As her head swayed to the melodic song, her hands ran fast, writing on the blank paper.

Hey Mr. Stranger,

Sorry I’ve been putting off writing a reply for you (in case you were waiting). I have a big audition coming up in a week and this past month has been hectic. I barely have time to spend with my friends, Blossom and Esther (that’s my roommate in case you’re wondering). Sure, I see Esther at home and at work and Blossom is always with me during our dance lessons but the last time we actually hang out was – well, I don’t remember.

The play is a pretty big deal because the producer is kind of well-known in Europe. I decided to try anyway though I know I don’t stand a chance. I mean, most of the students here are auditioning and there’s no way I’ll get in. But I guess this will be a good experience for me.

Okay, enough about me.

Excuse me, mister! How dare you tricked me into a Lion King backstory? You’re such unoriginal. At least, make something up! Don’t think I will let this slip away next time. I’ll dig and dig and force you to tell me your story.

Till then, take care! And wish me luck :)

Naeun read the letter before forming a small smile and shoved her notebook in her bag. She was going to go there later after she finished practicing. She peered at her watch and she had about 2 hours before her shift start. It was extremely exhausting that she almost wanted to quit her night job. But she knew she shouldn’t because she could barely survive with the pay from Pink Panda café and her other job basically paid for her dance lesson.

Plus, she wasn’t sure if she was able to be picked to join the play. It was her first audition and Naeun’s skills were still well – plain. She didn’t have that wow factor or exquisite dance technique. Wiping the sweats on her forehead, Naeun got to her feet, stretching her body in front of the mirror. Class had ended a few hours ago but Naeun asked Mrs. Kim’s permission to stay behind. To her surprise, she let her.

Pressing the reset button, Naeun faced the mirror and focused on the music. The first verse started and she twirled, recalling the routine and feeling herself lost as she closed her eyes. She kept dancing to the music, her heart thumping rapidly but she felt calm and somehow solemn. As she finished doing the last step, there was applause from her back.

Her eyes shot open and she saw L was leaning against the door through the mirror. Quickly, she turned and gasped, “What are you doing here?”

Instead of answering her, he stepped closer, “That was quite .. nice.”

“Nice?” Naeun furrowed her eyebrows.

“It means you could have done better.”

“Ugh!” Naeun groaned and plopped on the floor, ruffling her tangled bun in frustration. As she opened her eyes, L was already seated next her, his brow quirked, “Was it Swan Lake?”

“Yeah.” Naeun sighed, trying to smooth down her hair as she saw her reflection in the mirror.

“So, you’re trying for the audition?”

Nodding, Naeun placed her palms against her face and let out a muffled scream. L pointed out, “You still have a week.”

“I know!” She exclaimed, “But I just .”

“That’s the whole routine?” L asked again as he leaned, his hands supporting him.

“Everyone is required to perform the original routine.” Naeun muttered, studying his side profile from the corner of her eyes. He was looking up at the ceiling, his form seemed relaxed. She noticed he was wearing a simple black tee and jeans with a faded red sneakers. Come to think of it, it was her first time seeing L wearing anything other than plaid or flannel shirts. A smile spread across her face as she adored his physique.

“Tchaikovsky?” He suddenly turned and Naeun quickly pursed her lips, trying to act like she wasn’t just checking him out. She nodded, “Wait! You know him?”

“I know stuffs too, Darling.” L shrugged as Naeun scowled hearing the nickname she hadn’t hear for awhile now. Huffing, she rolled her eyes, “Who could have thought?”

L narrowed his eyes and she gave him a wide grin in return. Pulling out her hairband and letting the hair cascaded down her back, Naeun asked, “So, Kim Myungsoo. Why are you here?”

“I thought I heard a ghost. Turn out, I was right.” L looked at her messy black hair and shook his head.

Glaring, Naeun punched his shoulder, “Are you insulting me right now?”

“I’m just stating the fact.” L winced at her hit, “For someone so small, you sure hit like a wrestle mania.”

“Thank you for your compliment.” Naeun smiled broadly, showing her pearly whites. L stared at her before settling his view to the ceiling again, letting the silence encircling them. The faint sound heard indicating the music was still playing, the two of them immersed in their own thoughts. Naeun had never imagine that she would be sitting this close with a boy, one she didn’t really know in particular, and there was no awkwardness between them. Normally, she couldn’t stand being in the same room with someone she barely knew, sitting in complete silent.

Bomi’s words came floating around her head, causing her veins suddenly palpable. She hated L at first because he always thought highly of himself but now she admitted that there was more to him than just his cold façade. Their conversations flowed without any air of awkwardness and deep down, she adored them. Heck, she adored exchanging conversations with this attractive guy.

“Hmm.” A soft sound escaped his lips, one Naeun wouldn’t notice if he hadn’t turn to face her. She stared in confusion, “Wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter