Chapter 17

Letters from Mr. Stranger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

C h a p t e r  S e v e n t e e n

 

Today was the day.

In three hours, the dance recital would start and Naeun was still in her room, sitting on her bed and had been staring at the plain wall since she woke up. She and Bomi had invited the Infinite gang and Naeun was certain L would be there and she would like to believe that it was for her. Eunji had to leave for her morning shift but she promised she would come to watch they perform. She received a number of text messages from her friends with Sungjong’s was the longest. They all wished her a good luck and words of support.

If this was three months ago, Naeun would only have Bomi to wish her. But now, this long list of friends had make her life more meaningful. Supposed she had the letters to thank to. After she started accepting the letters, her life wasn’t the same. She made new friends, she acquired new confidence and she even experienced falling in love for the first time.

Naeun stood and opened her drawer, a small velvet box sitting on a pile of clothes. Carefully, she opened it and picked the silver necklace and wrapped it around her neck. The pendant rested on her chest, throbbing against her soft skin. She stared into the mirror and adored the beautiful lucky charm star.

Dressed in her dance costume (lace tank empire waist dress) and a pair of black flat shoes, Naeun decided to go to the beach. She hadn’t been there since she wrote the last letter because she was occupied with the rehearsals and her lover’s trouble (as Eunji would like to call it).

As she reached, Naeun made her way to the usual spot and found the letter. The texture was rough against her skin, the paper had been wet and dried during the times it was there. Taking a deep breath, she opened the folded paper and skimmed the words.

Dear dreamer,

Whoever you are, you have given me the pleasure to know you through only words. You made my dull life a little brighter with your stories. I’d read about you, from the beginning until now, where it supposed to end. Certain things in life don’t last and our little connection doesn’t too. It may be the end of one thing but it shall open the door to another. That’s how everything in this world works.

You started as raw and insecure, afraid of the future and yourself. Now, long gone was the self-doubt and out came a different person. Someone who stands a little straighter, smile a little cheerier and live a little joyous. Supposed they are small changes but they left big impacts on you. I know this sounds weird but it felt like watching my kid grows (it sounded even weirder the more I read it).

Be proud of yourself. You thanked me in your letter but really, it was all you. You made it happened. I was just here, supporting you and your dreams. The way a pillar holding a building on ground or the wings helping a bird to fly. I’m glad you finally found what makes you, you. Hold onto that and never give up.

As I had mention, this will be the last I write to you. You should continue writing, pouring your feelings as you did before I found those letters. They had been a delight to read and who knows, maybe another person will find your letters and write to you too? Sky’s the limit and possibilities are endless.

I wish you the very best. Maybe we will cross paths on the streets or stand side by side in a train or even caught in a conversation together. Who knows, right?

Like the star, you knows hope and faith and like the stars, you won’t stop glowing.

She didn’t realize she was crying, not until a drop of tear fell upon the paper. Naeun let out a laugh but it sounded muffled against her sobs. She was grateful she hadn’t put on make-up yet or else she would look like a panda. When the writing started, she had no idea it would turn out this way. And she wouldn’t have imagine to cry over a person she never know.

Nevertheless, Naeun was grateful. Stretching her lips into a smile, Naeun wiped away her tears and stood, gazing out the ocean. She closed her eyes, making sure she remembered every detail, the sound of the waves, the wind breeze, the smell of wet woods and sand and the vast blue sky.

 

------------------------------------------------------

 

It was a full house. She should had guess, considering the reputation Mrs. Kim had and her long line of social acquaintances. It didn’t make things easier for her, if anything it just made her more nervous. After her little breakdown at the beach, Naeun pulled herself together and arrived at the small theater her dance teacher had rented for this recital. Bomi was there, almost freaked out that Naeun wouldn’t come and helped her put on the make-up.

Restraining herself from biting her nails, Naeun peeked around the waiting area. Bomi was standing over the coffee maker, treating herself some caffeine. Everyone looked amazing in their costumes and Naeun prayed she did too. After awhile, it was Bomi’s turn and Naeun followed her to the backstage, stayed there, smiling as Bomi started dancing.

Bomi had always been a graceful dancer and today she outdone herself. Naeun watched as Bomi moved on the stage, like a beautiful swan on water. She didn’t realize her performance was over, not until the light was dim. An applause and a few standing ovations were given to her and Naeun crushed her into a hug as Bomi went backstage.

“That was amazing.” She breathed as she let her go, “You did great, Bomi. I’m so proud.”

Bomi beamed, “Thank you! Next, it’s your turn to shine, Naeun.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter