Chapter 12

Letters from Mr. Stranger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*this chapter is dedicated to koala_panda and iamkheypop

 

C h a p t e r  T w e l v e

 

It’d been a month. A month. Four weeks. Thirty days. Seven hundred and twenty hours. Four thousand and two hundred minut-

Naeun took a deep breath and stopped her track. She stared at the magnificent gate and cream bricked building in front of her in awe as she stood just a few meters from the Woollim University entrance. It was a beautiful Sunday evening and Bomi and Sungyeol had invited her to the university’s annual carnival. She said yes right away, partly because it sounded fun and another part was because she wanted to see him.

No, she had to see him.

She wasn’t desperate. She was just – not calm. Yes, that was the word.

A few groups of students walked in and out of the gate, chatting happily as if the only problem they had was a crooked toe nail or a broken zip bag. Her phone rang, and Naeun rummaged through her sling bag and answered the call.

“Hey.”

“Naeun! Where are you?” Bomi’s frantic voice echoed from the other line.

“I’m here. At the gate.” She replied calmly.

“Why aren’t you coming in?”

“Is he there?” Naeun asked carefully, biting her lips.

The line was quite for a second before Bomi answered softly, “No, I haven’t seen him. But I’m sure he’s performing tonight. Naeun, is that it? You worried of not meeting him? It’s going to be fine, Naeunnie. Don’t sweat yourself too much.”

She heaved, “Yeah, you’re right. Okay, I’ll see you.”

With a hefty step, Naeun entered passing the gate and headed to the field.

 

------------------------------------------------------

 

Only half an hour later did Naeun finally arrived at the field. The place was too big for its own good and Naeun had trouble finding the site. The bustling students didn’t help either, she wanted to stop them to ask for directions but after three times failing following the instruction, she gave up and just wandered around instead, just wishing luck would bring her there. And now that she was there, she had to find Bomi’s booth (her classmates decided to do face painting) and much to her relief, a savior came in the form of Jang Dongwoo.

“Naeun!”

“Dongwoo!” She exhaled, grateful to find a familiar face.

“You seem lost, little red riding girl.”

Naeun looked down over her red double ed cape and rolled her eyes, “Ha-ha, would you please take me, Mr. Wolf?”

“Gladly.” Dongwoo gestured to his right, Naeun followed him, complaining about this humungous area and how she almost went to boys’ locker room, thinking it was a female washroom. He laughed, his body shook and Naeun smiled at his reaction. Dongwoo was definitely a nice person and from what she heard from Bomi, these two apparently had something going on.

Well, she couldn’t be happier for her.

As they reached, Naeun could spotted Bomi easily with her bouncy high ponytail and face full of painting. As she walked closer, she noticed Bomi had a tiger’s face (which was extremely cute). Her tiger friend noticed the two newcomers and chirped, “Naeun! You’re here!”

Naeun waved back and Bomi pulled her hand towards the booth and made her sit, “Let me paint your face.”

“No!” Naeun covered her face instinctively, “No face painting, please. I have to work extra hours at the café later.”

Bomi pouted, “Fine. At least, let’s do a henna.”

“A what?”

“A henna.” Bomi showed her hand which was inked like some sort of tattoos, “It’s an Indian cultural hand art. It’ll wash off with water.”

Seeing her excited face, Naeun couldn’t say no, “Okay.”

“You’re screwed, Naeun.” Dongwoo who stood in front of her, snickered.

“Shut up!” Bomi threw a paintbrush at his direction and it hit his arm as he kept on laughing. Bomi grunted, “Ignore him, Naeun.”

Naeun nodded and smiled secretively as she discerned the similarity of them and L and hers banter. The only difference was that Dongwoo was here. And he stayed there until it was finished (while adding unnecessary comments at Bomi’s hand work). Naeun inspected the back of her right hand and a drawing of a flower went down from her middle finger to her wrist. It was beautiful, she admitted. A little crooked maybe but still beautiful.

“Make sure not to smudge it. Wash the ink after around thirty minutes.”

“Okay, Miss Pesky.”

She left the two to their banter and took a look around. The field was filled with small carousels and canopies, people shouting around here and there (there was even a karaoke machine provided at the other end). She smiled, somewhat solemn, as she knew she wouldn’t be able to experience the life of a university student. Not now, not later.

A tap on her shoulder startled her and Naeun turned to her right to face a smiling Sungjong. Trailing from behind was Eunji as she waved her hand. Sungjong was wearing a pair of white jeans and a black sweater with white little lightning. Eunji gave Naeun a hug and Naeun noticed her new pair of cute Hello Kitty sneakers.

“Can we go someplace to eat?” Naeun asked, rubbing her stomach, “I’m starving.”

Eunji nodded, “Are you feeling for some Italian?”

“Good god. Yes, please.”

Laughing, Eunji lopped her arm aroun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter