Chapter 18

Letters from Mr. Stranger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

C h a p t e r  E i g h t e e n

 

The birds were chirping, the sun was out, still, hiding between clouds and the leaves and branches swayed as the winds hit them. It was a perfect weather, especially for someone who was on a date. Or wasn’t it? Naeun didn’t really know but the more important thing was that L was there with her. Even if it wasn’t a date, he was with her, leaning their backs against each other, pointing at different shapes of cloud from each their side and basically just having a good time together at their special place.

“Oh, I saw a butterfly!” Naeun pointed excitedly to her right side.

“I saw Winnie the Pooh and his honey jar.” L said, “I win.”

“Wait, really?” Naeun turned and searched for the particular cloud shape, finding nothing. She punched his shoulder lightly, “Cheater.”

L half smiled, facing the view that overlooked the city and leaned against the tree they were sitting under. Naeun followed suit, bringing her knees to her chest. She breathed, “So, 20 questions game?”

“Hmm.” L nodded, “We haven’t play that quite awhile.”

“Me, first.” Naeun said, eager to dig more of his dirt, “What do you do on rainy days?”

“I strum my guitar or just sleep in.” He answered and Naeun asked, “You know how to play a guitar?”

“Why do you sound so surprised?”

“Well, you’re sure don’t seem like it.” Naeun shrugged before smiling, her eyes twinkled, “Do you sing too?”

“It’s my turn to ask, Darling. Don’t cheat.” L said as Naeun pouted. He lifted his eyebrows and chuckled, “What’s your spirit animal?”

Naeun hummed, “A bird. Any bird. Because freedom and the power to fly and just be anywhere you want, it’s exciting. Or maybe unicorns. You know, because they are magical creatures.”

L gave her a funny look, “Unicorn? What are you? Five?”

“Hey, unicorns are a symbol of dream and I had promised my ten years old self that I would keep believing in them.” Naeun pointed her finger in defense, “Now, it’s my turn.” Her pursed lips morphed into a smile, “Will you sing for me, Kim Myungsoo?”

“That is a request, not a question.”

“Same thing.” Naeun pleaded with her eyes, “I thought the purpose of this whole game is to get to know each other better.”

L shook his head, “Nice try. But it’s not going to happen.” Naeun looked at him, her eyes were shining with elation and L smiled, “Still not going to happen even if you make that face all day, Darling.”

Naeun frowned, “Fine. You’re no fun.” She looked up, staring at the sky, thinking, “Where’s your go-to place? A place you want to go whenever you feel happy or sad. A place you can go and leave anytime you want. A place like home but isn’t exactly a home.”

“Go-to place.” L repeated, smiling a little, “I don’t have one, really.”

“None? Out of all the places in this world, you have none?”

L shook his head in return and Naeun’s forehead creased, “Paris? Tokyo? Or even Hawaii?”

“No.” He paused, “Well, except rather than a place, I want a go-to person.”

“A go-to person.” Naeun recited lamely, “Like Sungyeol?”

“Maybe.” L reached out, his fingers caressing her cheek, “Or maybe like you.”

Blinking, a smile was plastered on her face as she looked down, his touch had make her heart beat faster. He then lowered his hand and asked, “If you’re a song, what genre would you be?”

Naeun raised her gaze, “Funk. Cause that’s how cool I am.”

“You’re anything but cool.” L almost snorted as Naeun gave him a displeased look, “I’m sorry, I didn’t ask for your opinion, Mr. I-can-dance-better-than-you.”

“I thought we’re done with the name calling.”

“Well, we obviously were done but now we’re starting it again because someone decided to be vexing.”

“Okay, then.” L ran his fingers through his hair and Naeun could had sworn that her heart skipped a beat. There was something about the way he did it that she found kind of y. The same way she almost melted every time she watched George Clooney in movies. She prayed that her face wasn’t showing how embarrassed she was at that thought as L said, “Should I call you something else? Other than Darling?”

“No.” Naeun answered, too fast to her liking. She didn’t want him to know that that nickname had grown onto her and she always found it adorable. L raised his eyebrows, “Okay, Darling.”

Naeun could see the end of his lips curled slightly and fought the urge to smack him across his head, just so she could stop being ashamed. Quickly, she moved the direction of their conversation to something else, something she’d been dying to ask, “Are we laying low?”

“What do you mean?”

“About us. Are we not telling people?”

L stayed silence and Naeun noticed his throat bobbed up and down, his eyes were serious. He sighed, “Not yet.”

“Okay.” She replied, short without bothering to hide her disappointment. L saw through right away, “Are you mad?”

Shrugging, Naeun took a sharp breath, “I’m not. I just- I don’t know. What are we, Kim Myungsoo?”

“We’re whatever you want us to be.”

Naeun sat straighter, “Don’t do that. Don’t give me a vague answer.”

“You like me and you know that I like you too, right?” L asked and Naeun nodded, despite not knowing where this was going. He continued, “Then, why do we need to label it? Why can’t it just be you and me and our feelings?”

“You’re not making any sense.” Naeun frowned, feeling a little agitated. “Isn’t that kind of the whole point? If someone is to ask me what’s going on with you and Kim Myungsoo? Do I have to answer, ‘Oh, it’s just me and him and our feelings’?”

L heaved, “I told you there’s something that need to be done first.”

“Then tell me what is it?” Naeun demanded which only made her sounded petty but she didn’t care. L shook his head slightly, “I can’t.”

“Why?”

“I just can’t, Naeun.” L exhaled, as if he would rather be anywhere else than to have this conversation with her. Naeun closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She was sure if she continued arguing she might said things she didn’t mean. Instead, she stood and mumbled, “I have to go.”

Scrambling to his feet, L started, “Naeun –“

“I have rehearsal.” Naeun said firmly as she turned and went down the hill, ignoring his call.

 

------------------------------------------------------

 

“Again, Naeun.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter