Chapter 16

Letters from Mr. Stranger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

C h a p t e r  S i x t e e n

 

Today was the photoshoot for the promotional poster and Naeun was all dolled up in a strapless dress with a sweetheart neckline and a white belt wrapped below her bust matching her ankle strap heels. She stared at the mirror in front of her, adorning the curly wig that went above her shoulders. Taking a deep breath, she then smiled, feeling exhilarated.

A knock on the door snapped her out and she was called for the photoshoot. From afar, she saw Hyungsik in all black attire and tried not to stare at his ripped muscles. Immediately, he beamed as she neared him, “Baby.”

Naeun stopped her track, her eyes widened and Hyungsik chuckled, “Just getting into character, Naeun.”

“Oh.” Naeun heaved, “Right. I’m Frances ‘Baby’ Horseman.”

“Yeah.”

She gave him a nervous laugh and stood next to him on the set. The white cardboard wall behind them contrasted to her taffy dress. Jenny was there too, watching them intently, possibly trying to see the chemistry between them and that made her stomach flipped. She thanked her lucky star that Hyungsik was such a great actor and she slipped out of her uncomfortable zone and put her hand on his shoulder, posing as the director had asked.

After exactly 200 shots and 12 different poses later, they were done. Naeun greeted everyone goodbye and walked out of the building, checking the watch on her wrist.

“Naeun!”

She turned and Hyungsik was walking towards her, a big grin on his face, “Where are you going?”

“I have an hour to kill before my class starts.”

Hyungsik nodded, “That dance class you’re taking?”

“Yeah.”  Naeun smiled, before cocking her head, “I’m gonna grab a lunch, you want to come?”

His eyes twinkled, “Of course.”

They walked together or rather, Naeun led him to her workplace, the only café she knew sold the best mac and cheese (or maybe she was being bias). They were greeted by one of Naeun’s coworker and picked a table near the window. She recommended a few favorite meals in there and they placed their orders. Naeun looked around and saw Heechul inspecting the shelf behind the counter.

A few days ago, they had a discussion on her working hours considering the fact that Naeun barely could handle all the things going on in her life at once. She decided to request for a reduction in her working hours in Pink Panda and to her relief, Heechul agreed. Her night job was out of the picture, she quitted when she received the offer. So, now Naeun could focus on the play and the dance recital.

Eunji came out of the kitchen, holding a tray of drinks and headed to her direction. She brightened as she saw Naeun but then her face replaced with a confuse look. Naeun followed her trail and noticed Eunji was watching the oblivious Hyungsik in front of her.

“Here’re your drinks.” Eunji placed a cup of caramel macchiato and a glass of chocolate milkshake.

She took a step back and gave a discreet look at her roommate, mouthing, “The lounge, now.”

Naeun rolled her eyes and told Hyungsik, “Excuse me for a second.”

In the lounge room, she found Eunji sitting on the couch, with her eyebrows raised, “Who’s that yummy yummy?”

“Yummy yummy?” Naeun snorted, “That’s Hyungsik, my partner. I was about to introduce you two but of course you have to be dramatic about it.”

Eunji leaned forward as Naeun sat beside her, “He’s super cute.”

“He is, actually.” Naeun admitted.

“So?”

“Well, he’s sweet but there’s no ..” Naeun paused, creasing her forehead, “spark.”

“Unlike you and L?” Eunji asked.

She nodded in return, “Speaking of which, we almost kissed.”

“Shut up!” Eunji stared her with a surprised look, “Uhm, details please?”

“It was at the party you bailed on me, by the way, and we were dancing on the balcony under the moonlight. It was all romantic, he complimented me and we almost sealed the deal but then his phone rang.”

“Ugh!” Eunji pulled her hair out, “That’s so frustrating.”

“Tell me about it.” Naeun exhaled, a gloomy expression weaved on her face, “I tried to be nonchalant about it like it wasn’t the first time I’d been in that situation but honestly, it hurt.”

“Are you okay?” Eunji asked softly.

Naeun shrugged, “I guess so. I mean, I was mad at him that night but now, it just made me wonder, will it happen again or was that it? If that was my only chance.”

“Oh, Naeun.” Eunji placed her hand on Naeun’s rough one, “There will be other chances if you let yourself believe enough.”

Smiling, she hugged Eunji and whispered a thank you. They bid goodbye and Naeun sat back on her chair, the meals they ordered set on the table. Hyungsik beamed at her as she settle

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter