Chapter 19

Letters from Mr. Stranger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

C h a p t e r  N i n e t e e n

 

L and Sungyeol had known each other their whole lives. L was there for Sungyeol’s first heartbreak the same way Sungyeol was there for L when Irene moved to the States. They were not the usual kind of best friend. Unlike Woohyun and Sunggyu who could talk with each other the whole day, these two were different. But being different didn’t mean they had nothing in common.

Well, actually, they did have nothing in common but that didn’t stop them from forming this bond only they understood.

So when L had ask to meet Sungyeol, the latter knew something was wrong. Something big that might change the dynamic of their friendship. He just knew, he could feel it in his gut. They met at The Street in one evening after class ended. L was there first because he was the one who wanted this meeting to happen. As he sat down on the bench, clenching both his fists and took deep breath ever so often, he heard steps from a distance.

Tensing up, he saw Sungyeol walked down the pavement, their faces were equally serious. Sungyeol halted, standing and bobbed his head in acknowledgement, “Hey.”

L cocked his head to the side and Sungyeol sat down next to him. They stayed silence for a minute, the obvious tension was hanging in the air. L took a sharp breath, “I want to talk to you about something.”

“Are you coming out?” Sungyeol joked (his usual demeanor) and L smiled a little. Which only confirmed Sungyeol’s theory because the normal L would gave him a dirty look and kicked his shin. But this L didn’t and Sungyeol just braced himself for the news.

“No.” L shook his head, staring to his front, “It’s about Naeun.”

His head snapped as Sungyeol clenched his jaw. The mention of her name somehow made him uneasy but he stayed quiet. Slowly, L turned to face his friend, confessing, “We’re together and I’m in love with her.”

Sungyeol tensed and he continued, “She doesn’t know yet but I’m going to tell her.” L noticed his eyes darkened, “I know that you like her first. So, I’m going to give you time to tell her about your feeling before I tell her.”

Sungyeol let out a shaky laugh, “Is this some kind of a joke?” He gave L a disbelief look, “You went behind my back?!”

“I didn’t go behind your back.” L answered, calm.

“You knew that I like her!”

“Yes but you never say anything about telling her. And as far as I concern, she’s not yours. I’m sorry but no, I didn’t go behind your back, Sungyeol.”

“You’re an .” Sungyeol spat, his fists tightened. “You have every single girl chasing your tail and yet you chose to go after the one person that I like. You’re supposed to be my friend, L!”

“I’m not here asking for your permission, Sungyeol. I’m telling you that we’re together and that I love her.”

Sungyeol stood up, “Screw you. I’m leaving.”

L followed suit and grabbed his shoulder, “Are you going to tell her?”

The rage had finally consume him and within seconds, Sungyeol landed a punch on L’s face. He staggered back, touching his bruised lips, “Okay, I deserved that.”

Sungyeol grabbed his collar and L stared into his eyes, doing nothing. Again, Sungyeol punched him on his face and his stomach. L doubled over, groaning as the pain searing. He heaved and stood straighter, waiting for another hit. And it came. Repeatedly.

And L did nothing to counter. He took a hit, staggered then stood back. At last, Sungyeol shoved him on the ground as he collapsed too. His knuckles throbbed with pain and he observed the damage his had done. There were bruises on L’s face yet his good look was intact. Sungyeol ran his hand through his hair, “Remember the last time we fought?”

Opening one eye, L scoffed, “That was a good time. You almost sent me to the emergency room.”

“Well, you were acting like a douchebag.” Sungyeol reasoned.

“And I still am.” He replied, his voice was low. Sungyeol heaved, “True that. But you’re also right.”

L raised his eyebrows, waiting for an explanation. Instead, Sungyeol asked, “Are you going to do right by her?”

“I will.” He replied, looking right into his best friend’s eyes. Sungyeol chuckled, “We are one odd pair.”

“True that.”

 

------------------------------------------------------

 

Her legs kicked the ground as she held on the chain hanging from the swing and felt the wind brushing her hair. The swing was a little smaller and her was starting to feel sore. Nevertheless, Naeun kept kicking the ground, swinging herself back and forth enjoying the quiet moment. It was dusk, the sun was about to set in and the colour orange spread around the sky. A flock of birds flew past her head (way up high) and Naeun found herself smiling. The little things that life had to offer, somehow made her content.

She felt a vibe and pulled out her phone. Sungyeol told her he was about to reach there and Naeun halted, her legs remained on the ground. Tapping her fingers on her thigh, her mind wandered to how her life changed recently. They might not be official-official yet but they were still not official-official. Her smile grew wider as she recalled how much she loathed the guy the first time they met.

Funny how things work.

Her train of thoughts was snapped out of reverie as she heard footsteps approaching. Looking up, she greeted, “Sungyeol!”

“Hey, Naeun.” Sungyeol gave her a weak smile, sitting on the swing next to her.

Naeun noticed his shaky voice, her face grew concern, “Is something wrong? Are you okay?”

“No.” He shook his head, “Nothing’s wrong.”

“Then what is it?” Naeun asked, leaning slightly to her left side, “Tell me, Sungyeol.”

He looked at her, her worried eyes, her pursed lips and her black hair, and sighed. Closing his eyes, Sungyeol found it hard to breathe let alone to talk. But he had to. This one-sided feeling of him needed to be told so that he could move on. Even when he thought he didn’t want to.

 “Do you remember how we met?”

Naeun blinked, “The first time?” Sungyeol nodded, “Do you? Cause I do.”

“It was the first month of spring. Right?” Naeun recalled, her forehead creased, “It was late night and I was in charge of closing in. You came out of nowhere I almost hit you with a broomstick. Your phone died and you needed a ride back home. So I lent you my phone and your friend picked up.”

“It was L.”

“I’m sorry?”

“That friend was L.”

“Oh.”

Sungyeol laughed but even he sounded sad still, “That was the day I started to like you.”

Widening her eyes, Naeun opened but no sound came out and she closed it back. Sungyeol looked at her despondently, “I’ve always like you, Naeun. That’s why I went there every week. To see you. After a week, I picked up your shifts and memorized them so that every time I went there, you would be there. Woohyun suggested it and it worked though, I mean it was Woohyun, right. Of course it would work.

Anyway, one by one, all my friends started to find out and they kept pestering me to talk to you. I shoved the idea because I was afraid. Then, that day came. When we performed in The Streets, you were there. And you recognized me. Y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter