Chapter 13

Letters from Mr. Stranger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

C h a p t e r   T h i r t e e n

 

The way the breezes danced along their path, hitting the tree branches and uncut grasses, seeping in her loose sweater and sweeping her silky hair away intrigued her. They had a specific course to follow; like a river or a pull of gravity, they did not levitate or stray. They ran through their route and then they were gone. The sun was hidden apart between the clouds but it did not stop the heat trickling into her bare arms.

Naeun sighed, feeling a weigh off her shoulder as she stared into the blue sky. She could hear the birds singing; pigeons maybe. Or was it the doves? She couldn’t tell the different. The crumpled paper in her hand felt as it was throbbing against her fist. She had rumpled it all together, end to end, in spite of frustration which had nothing to do with the content.

Well, maybe a little.

The wind blew again and Naeun sat up, bringing her knees against her chest and carefully un-crumpled the letter as not to rip it accidentally. Creased and wrinkled were everywhere but she could still make the scrawled writing. She only noticed it after the fourth letter, Mr. Stranger seemed to have a nice handwriting despite being a guy (he had confirmed it). Nonetheless, Naeun read it aloud.

 

To answer your question, yes.

Yes, I am a guy. It’s pretty obvious. Nobody refers themselves as Mr if they wear flowery skirts or braid their hair.

And to answer your other question, I don’t know.

I don’t know what guys do if they’re interested in a girl. Maybe, they make a move or just keep the feelings bottle inside. There’s no telling. I would love to be your therapist, discussing your feelings or the possibilities of any future relationship but I’m a no expert in that particular field.

You should ask your girl friends. Isn’t that what girls always do? Talking about feelings all the time? 

Anyway, this is a mere suggestion; why don’t YOU ask him out?

 

She crumpled it again in her two hands, disappointment overpowered her mind and threw it on the ground as she muttered, “Stupid Mr. Stranger. I had wait for a week for nothing.”

As she stared the paper ball lying on the green grass, her sense came back and she grabbed it from the ground. She smoothed it down, this time with care, and folded it into four and stuff it into the back of her jeans. She was supposed to be in her dancing class right now but she ditched it. On the night Myungsoo rejected her, she had went home, feeling miserable.

Sungyeol offered to walk her but she declined politely, saying she was just going to head home, exhausted. Heechul excused her with the promise she was to replace her shifts later. Naeun felt horrible at first, this was the first time she ever did something bad. She never skipped her classes or lied to her manager. But now that she was here, she felt at ease. To the very least.

Her thought went back to the person who supposedly caused all of these. Her misery and agony swirled in her mind to no end. It wasn’t a big of a deal, it was just a walk but his words and lack of regret hurt her. She was well aware that she didn’t have the right to be mad at him. They were nothing. Sure they were friends, but not close enough to finish each other sentences.

But she had let him see her in her susceptible side and he was in his. It had count to something, right? Unable to sort out her feelings, Naeun pulled her hair out, grunting. Her phone buzzed, it was either from Bomi or Eunji. Or maybe Sungyeol. And surely not from him. She laughed, thinking back of how pitiful her life might seem. She could only think of three persons the minute her phone vibrated through her jeans.

Naeun reached for her phone, asserted that it was Bomi only to see a text from the one she least expected.

Can we meet?

 

------------------------------------------------------

 

“So, you’re my stalker for the day?”

“I’m shadowing you.”

“Same different.” Eunji crossed her arms as the guy in front of him grunted under his breath. Rolling her eyes, she huffed, “Why are you stalking me again?”

Leaning in, Sungyeol gritted his teeth, “Shadowing. I’m thinking of working here part time.”

“I know that, Yuli.” Eunji said, forming a small smile as Sungyeol narrowed his eyes at his nickname, “I just don’t understand why. Why do you want to work here?”

“Extra cash.” Sungyeol shrugged. At that, Eunji raised her eyebrows, “For your o collection?”

“I’m going to file a complaint about you later, Eunji.” Sungyeol hissed.

“Yeah, you do that.” Eunji grinned, enjoying the little torture she put him in, “Does Naeun know about this?”

That question seemed to startle him as Eunji watched his body tensed for a second before he shook his head. She was aware of his feelings, well everyone did with the exception of Naeun of course. That girl had the attention span of a goldfish she once thought. She just didn’t understand why Sungyeol chose to beat around the bushes instead of putting it out there.

“Trying to surprise her out of her wits and win her heart?”

Sungyeol glared and Eunji knew she had touch a nerve (one she probably shouldn’t). He rose, towering her, “Are you going to start working or were you always this bad of an employee?”

 “There’s no need to get all defensive. Geez, Yuli.” Eunji her cheeks and stood on her feet, “Let’s go then.”

She turned her heels, heading to the kitchen area with Sungyeol following suit. Her shift started a few minutes ago when Heechul called her to give a tour to Sungyeol, their possibly new hire. It was five minute after three but the café was still crowded with customers. They reached the area, Sungyeol noticed there was three people in the kitchen, bustling around blended together with the sound of pan sizzled and chopping knife against wood board.

“Guys.” Eunji announced unnecessarily, “This is Sungyeol. He’ll be stalk- I mean, shadowing. He’s my shadow today.”

They gave him a brief nod before continuing their respective jobs. Eunji showed him the dressing rooms and a small lounge for a break a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter