Chapter 20

Letters from Mr. Stranger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

C h a p t e r  T w e n t y

 

Bomi tended to be bossy sometimes and Naeun hated it when she turned into her do-this-and-that mode. She knew it was a bad idea to ask her help for the farewell party for Eunji but with the play coming in a month, her hands were tied. So Naeun resorted to her best friend, all big eyes and pouty lips, asking for Bomi’s help. She said yes immediately and began outlining her plan.

Which brought them to Sunday morning, the living room was full of balloons and ribbons all over the floor and Naeun groaning on the couch at her ninth attempt of folding the napkin. Bomi strode in through the front door, a pink box in her hand, announcing, “Got the cake!”

“Put it in the fridge first and help me with this nonsense napkin folding!”

Bomi rolled her eyes and kept the cake before going back into the area, taking a seat next to Naeun. She snatched the light blue napkin from her and fussed, “You’re doing it all wrong, Naeun! God, you’d think a dancer would have artsy hands.”

She frowned, “Because you gave me the hardest task!”

Shaking her head, Bomi showed her again and Naeun gave another attempt. At the same time, Eunji walked out of her room in her pajamas and slippers, yawning. Naeun exclaimed, a smile on her face, “Wait! Wait! I think I got it!”

Eunji halted, giving her a horrid look, “What’s that?”

“It’s a swan!” She replied, placing it on her open palm.

“That looks horrible!”

Naeun narrowed her eyes and tossed it at Eunji’s direction, snarling, “Then plan your own party!”

She stuck her tongue out in return and strutted into the bathroom, letting out a soft laugh. The other two resumed their works with Naeun groaned in frustration every time she missed the eighth step for the crane folding. Three hours later, the small apartment was lined with balloons and swirling ribbons hanging from the ceiling. They had pasted a banner of “GOOD RIDDANCE EUNJI” on the wall, surrounded with metallic gold stars (upon Eunji’s request as she claimed that was what she was).

The table was cleared off its usual fashion magazines, remote control and Eunji’s bottles of nail polish. Bomi had covered it with a pink table cloth, plates and bowls and paper cups on it. The three girls got dressed into their party attires and did each other’s hair. Naeun decided for a casual wear; a pair of black jeans paired with a white tank top. She let her hair hung loosely on her right shoulder.

There was a knock on the door and Bomi wondered, “Who’d come so early?”

She proceeded to the door and gasped as she found L standing at the other side, holding paper bags and Starbucks coffee cups. Bomi stared at him for a good minute before stepping back, widening the gap, letting him to step in. She shared a confused look with Eunji as L walked towards Naeun who looked like a tomato.

He bent, giving her a kiss on her cheek, completely ignoring the astonished looks the other two were wearing. He smiled, “Where should I put this?”

Naeun, whose face got redder pointed to the table. L put the paper bags (the apartment smelt of cinnamon and freshly baked bread) and excused himself to the bathroom. As the coast was clear, the two attacked Naeun like hyenas.

“OMG”

“What the hell just happen?”

They exclaimed at the same time, shaking Naeun’s shoulder. She chuckled, a shy smile of her lips as she looked at Eunji, “I thought you knew?”

“Of course I didn’t, you sneak!” Eunji smacked Naeun’s right shoulder, her eyes were as round as saucer, “He only told me about Sungyeol confessing to you. He never mentioned that you two are now in the kiss-her-kiss-him phase!”

“How long has this happen? Why did I never heard of it?” Bomi fired her question, a betrayed look on her face.

“I- it was sudden.” Naeun fidgeted, giving them a sheepish smile, “I wanted to tell you two, really I do. But I didn’t get the chance.”

“You mean the whole time we were freaking living together?” Eunji cascaded a stern look which only made Naeun laughed, “Don’t be mad. I’m telling you now. Yes, we’re dating.”

The noise the other two made wasn’t humane as they bombarded with further questions asking for details. Naeun giggled, red tinted her cheeks as she gushed everything she could in that very minute. The door to the bathroom creaked open and in a second, the three of them stood straighter and stopped hushing. There was an air of awkwardness before Bomi asked, “You’re quite early. We still have three hours before six.”

“Actually, I have to go somewhere and I’m borrowing your friend.”

“Of course, sweep her off.” Eunji said, cheekily.

Naeun sent a warning glare before following L’s trail to the front door. She mustered the most murderous look at her two friends before shutting the door behind her. Naeun matched his big steps, “Where are we going?”

They reached downstairs and L, ever the gentleman, opened the passenger seat, “To the stars.”

She rolled her eyes and settled in her seat, buckling the belt across her body, “Seriously, Kim Myungsoo, where are you kidnapping me?”

“I have an errand to do.”

“And you decided to drag me along.”

“Or maybe I just want to keep you to myself.” He gave her a side glance and smirked. Despite the heat rushing to her cheeks, Naeun scoffed and crossed her arms. She leaned back and sighed.

“Long day?” L asked, his eyes fixed on the road.

“You have no idea.” Naeun replied with a dry chuckle, “I had tried folding papers for 2 hours and my fingers are all cramped now.”

She stretched her fingers before L grabbed them as his right hand continued steering the wheels. His thumb ran over her hand softly, giving another wave of heat shot up her body. It was crazy how that simple touch made her feel. Naeun glanced at him, a wide smile on her face, “I think I like this new Kim Myungsoo. Who could have thought the guy who criticized my dance the first time we met is a romantic.”

“You remember?”

“Of course!” Naeun exclaimed, her eyes b with excitement, “How could I forget the first time I ever saw-“

“A perfect specimen?” L chided in.

“No.” She nudged his rib, “A snob.”

“Ouch, Darling. You wounded me.” He said mockingly.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter