{3/8}

HEROES

“ YOU CAN FLY. ” Jino is treating my words as if I do not even exist. What the hell is wrong with this kid? We were flying! Last night, he rescued me and he left me in my dorm room. Then just went away. And how about Onew? I haven’t seen him today.Onew, what if he si dead and its because of me? I may be a selfish person at times, but someone dying is an exception to that. I continue to follow him even if i look like an idiot. I tell Taemin that I need a favor from this guy thats why im following him. 

He still wouldn’t want to talk to me, he can’t even look my way. 

“ okay, you don’t want to admit it? Then just answer this, Is Onew okay?” I know that what im asking is stupid. He got impaled by a sword. A sword kibum. You idiot! But then again, i watched this show once, a man got impaled by a pole and still survived. I mean, miracles happen everyday. 

“ yes- he’s fine, the sword did not go that far; i was able to hold off her arm.”
I heaved a sigh of relief but i still want some answers. You can’t just fly- witness someone fly and forget about it. That was not a dream!

Definitely not. 

“ thank you, im glad to hear that- but- ”

“ Look – Key, you weren’t supposed to be there,”

“ and you guys weren’t supposed to do smackdowns in the library,” I snap. 

“ You know what? For someone whose live had been saved, you are very ungrateful.”

“ Look, i don’t mean to be rude. But- I can’t- its messing with my head! ”

Taemin catches me and signals that our next class is about to start. 

“ you are not going crazy, yes. I did fly. But please do not tell anyone and keep it to yourself. In exchange for us, saving your life. ”
Then he walks away from me. Leaving me alone in the hallway. So. Its true then? I was not sleeping. What does this mean? I agree that I have to be quiet about this and respect his decision, they did after all- save my life. But my thoughts keep drifting back to Onew. 

My day finally ended and both Taemin and I are looking forward for the meeting regarding the charity event. I am one of the organizers and Taemin will be a performer. We made our way inside the auditorium and took our seats infront. Jino is there, he is holding a guitar and I wonder if he is in a band. 

“ Okay, just a run through- but first of all. THANK YOU For Shinee cause they agreed to play at the event.”

I can hear everyone shout, whistle and girls swooned. The whole mood of everyone that were so different suddenly became this collective excitement. 

Donghae, this year’s Event chairman spoke up again, “ ONEW! Care to say some words.”

Wait. Did he just say Onew? My Onew? Then I see him again. He looks perfectly fine, even much better. My memories of him did not do him justice. He looks different now, he had skinny-skinny jeans and a top i don’t even see because of his leather jacket. His straight hair is now changed into black curls. No longer mister brown. 

“ah- ” he tests the mic and his friend cheers him on, a rather hyper blonde boy. 

“ listen everyone! SSH!! SSSHHHH! ”“ thanks for inviting us and i hope we get the money we need to help. ” a surge of applause envelops the whole room and i turn to Taemin who was clapping too. Hold on. If Jino can fly, Seunghyun can make things move. Maybe Onew can make people like him- like, I mean. It makes sense. Everyone in here obviously likes him- even I do. 

What am i thinking? This is not an x-men comic book. Sheeesshhhh. He walks off the podium and everyone is divided in groups. I envied Taemin as he is with Onew because they are classified as performers. 

“ Key, can you help us over here? We need to brainstorm.” Nicole asks me and i sit down. I am rather initmidated by the crowd. All of them are student council officers. I guess, I am the only freshmen in here. Jino is seated across me and he waves, another guy, the blonde one notices it and Jino whispers at him. The blonde looks mildly surprised and gives me the thumbs up sign. Beside him is – Choi Minho. Score! I know him. Only because he is a great soccer player and his face is plastered in the gym bulletin board. 

“so. Im thinking, ” donghae started telling us his ideas and midway through. He joins us. Onew. There is nowhere else to seat and he looks for one. Lo and behold, I am beside an empty seat. I raise my hand towards him and he thankfully looks at me. I almost pass out. 

“ empty-” i whisper and point at the empty seat beside me. He hesitates for a moment and sat right next to me. I think I catch Jino wink at me and the blonde boy coughed violently, causing donghae to stop for a bit. 

“as i was saying,” he continued again.

“ are you alright?” I turn to him and he does the same but he does not even open his mouth. Just gives me a small smile and nods. “ Look, I just- is it okay if i ask you something?”

He clearly does not want to talk to me but I cannot stay still. I have to ask him sooner or later, why not now? He can’t just stand up and avoid me. 

“ you can ask, doesn’t mean im going to answer.” He says and i swear his voice is like honey on rocks. Whatever that is. 

“ Okay, what are you?” I blurt out . real smooth moron. What kind of stupid question is that anyway? Ofcourse he is human! 

“ a person, like you,” he answers, not even looking at me. 

“ im sorry, that came out wrong. This is just screwing with my head. That’s all.” And he does not react to that. Why did i suddenly lose my gift of interacting with people? Why am i suddenly this utter mess? I only have this chance to talk to him and i acted like a complete idiot. I want to calm myself but there it is again. Whenever i feel sad and down, my defenses weaken and i feel every emotion. Its getting to me. I grip the arm rest to control myself but its just too strong. Or maybe, im just too weak. Onew turns to me, as if to ask if im okay. 

“calm the down.” I hissed lowly and the whole room suddenly turned quiet. Its like, when everyone just happened to stop talking at one moment. I kept my eyes open and I hear onew talking to me. 

“ hey are you okay? What did you just do?”

“ i don’t know what you’re talking about. ” I turn away from him, 

“ you just- did you just calm the whole room? That emotion- was it from you?”

So now he wants to know something about me? Its my turn to ignore him. Donghae is now talking about an auction. We will auction ourselves for a date. This seems like a good idea. The people on the list are really good too. Marketable. Jino, blonde boy- which turns out to be jonghyun and minho are on the list. Why isn’t onew there? I would certainly sell all my belongings just to win him at the auction.
Then the next thing i know, Nicole raises her hand. 

“ why don’t we add a freshmen? KEY! ”

WHA?! Everyone suddenly nodded in approval. I am terrified and flattered at the same time. 

“ but- that’s- im-” my protests are futile as donghae started to scribble my name. 

“ NO.” Onew suddenly speaks rather forcefully. Everybody looks at him and i bow my head down in embarassment. What the hell is he playing at? 

“ NO, he can’t be auctioned off. He is just a freshman.” He restates and I hear Nicole speak up. 

“ i understand the concern, but he is pretty popular, in a rather short amount of time. Don’t you agree? ”

I have to talk to Nicole about this fondness she has for me after this. 

“ I said NO.” Does he really want me to die in embarassment? If he continues this, i won’t be able to lift my head up anymore. What is his deal? 

“ Key will be auctioned. ” Jino suddenly pipes in and nudges jonghyun who in turn straightens up, as if realizing something.

“ oh. Yes. I agree, he should be placed in the auction list cause someone will definitely buy him off.” His eyes travel towards me then Onew who is practically making his palms bleed by digging onto it too much. 

The meeting ended and I tried my hardest to get out of here as fast as I can but Onew quickly cornered me just before i can get out of the auditorium. 

“ hey- ”

“ Hi. ” 

“ you talked to Jino? Thank you sor agreeing to keep the secret.”

“ its the least i can do, I haven’t thanked you yet, for saving my life.” I bow to him and he turns away to leave but I ask him once more. “what happened to that girl, is she okay?” 

“ no, we lost her. ”

He is clearly sad and I wonder of that girl is really important to her. Like, girlfriend type. The thought alone makes me want to reach out to him and tell him that its okay. I know what it feels like to be different. For that, I respect him. 


I walk towards the dorm room and I feel the drain of the whole day come crashing to me. Aside from following Jino around, I also had to do the endless school work. My senses are clearly as I see a note on my desk. Is Taemin going out? I told him to beg off from evening practices and just concentrate on finishing out tasks. Yah- I have to call hom. Flipping the paper open, i read an unfamiliar handwriting. I was expecting a long note or a lengthy explanation but all it said was. 

You’re next. 

Next? Closing my eyes, i try to feel if anyone is here. But no one. No one is inside. I read the two words over and over again. What does this mean? A prank? But something tells me it has something to do with what happened. With what I witnessed. But why me? I am not powerful like them. Im just an overly sensitive weirdo. 

Do i look for Onew and tell him about this? 

My thoughts are bothered by the ringing of my phone and i immediately answered it. 

“ Taemin! Look- ” but its not taemin, as the person from the other end immediately answered back. 

“ got my note?”

“ yes. “ i fired back. I looked outside the window, no one is there. 

“ i am far away from you Key, but i will get you. Don’t worry, like what we did with Tiffany,.”

“what are you talking about?” This person is seriously a psycho. I don’t know what he is talking about- I was just an honset civilian that night. Yes, i did hurt tiffany a bit- but that’s self-defense! 

“ tell Onew he won’t be able to save everyone. ”

I hear a click and the line went dead. 

Panic. No.